KiteLife Forum

Welcome Fireliner

John Barresi

Hello @Fireliner,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Hi.

Norway or atleast the part of Norway I live in stunt kite flyers are pretty few and far between. This may be because there are only so many places where (quality)wind and open space are available at the same time. Wind directions vs terrain, trees etc. However there are possibilities for traction kiting in mountainregions in winter and also on water in the summer and hard water during the winter. Learning how to fly traction(trainers, and kites on handles) kites sparked my interest enough to buy a cheap aliexpress-Quad, albatross i think it was called. Great fun for a "low" price(with proper lines) but not particulary durable. There are no shops that I know of in Norway that sells kites or supplies other than limited selections of trainers so i ended up doing a lot of reading online and the tinkerer in me soon wanted to try a build. So the hunt for parts and materials began. Sadly many (good)shops/suppliers abroad do not ship to Norway due to beurocratic? VAT regulations and customs.

Read good things about freilein and ended up buying the windrider3 vented from emmakites. I also bought a few spare leading edge rods together in lighter weight with some extra bridle line.

The Freilein is very good and fun to fly with the right amount of wind, atleast with my limited skills 

Problem is wind(and direction) so i get a lot of time to dream and read between flying sessions. Soon I modded my Symphony beach 2,1 after reading riffclowns 2.2.4 writeup. I also tore in to an older beyond repair traction kite and the spares from the albatross for materials and started putting together my "full sail". Lack of proper materials led me to improvise a lot and the kite ended up a bit heavier than i hoped for at 270g and with some room for improvements. It handles well at certain wind speeds but the border between enough brake and bowtie is a bit narrow(suspect bridle adjust and better (more)venting by leading edge will help although it might be sail tension/strech). It is however good for catch and throw practice on short lines.

I managed to get supplies (icarex ,mesh, tapes rods etc) delivered to me when on vacation in Spain and slapped together shorter rods for travelling.

So now I am setting up for a new build, and I want to start by building something for lighter wind days. There is often lighter winds during winter in my area but also much more abundant flyingspace/possibilities, if we get proper sea/lake ice. 

The dark side I understand is a good thing and I am hoping the dark months combined with the cold could lead me further into the dark..