KiteLife Forum

Second attempt

Fireliner

Started construction of new kite. Have been using lighter material icarex and also used rip stop in the leading edge with Dacron reinforcements. The overlap between sail halves and trailing edge i am going to try just using 3M vhb tape and ironing except some seams in the higher stress parts. Thinking about not using shock cord for LE End caps (like Los Hermanos detox), t- connector. And lighter weight bridle line. 

I have not yet started the lower spar connection points(bungee/shock cord) Last time i used Dacron reinforcement triangles with PE "washers" and 3mm shockcord and a lighter fabric cover over the knots. It works but is quite bulky and heavy?

Shock cord is available in smaller sizes but are they (2,5 mm Prym) strong enough? 

IMG20211114233158-02.thumb.jpeg.73380da3f6a04b59f604ceac15c399da.jpeg

• Like 1

Did a basted bottom seam folded two times. Weight of kite with bridle currently at 189 grammes(Chrystal T2 spars) kite incl bridle w.o. Spars at 114 g including approx 10-15cm excess 3mm shock cord. Need to add knot cover for bungee at lower corners. Still contemplating the non bungee LE end caps. 

Would need to get some lighter weight(softer) spars. P90? Px1?

I have a set of P90 and in my opinion it is the same as the race frame black. Perhaps even lighter. But let's talk about weight. I have been working with RC gliders for years. Here, too, every gram counts. But at some point it turns out that when you get a little more experience, the weight has less of an influence. I also notice that with flying kites. Of course it is nice when your kite weighs as little as possible, but when you gain more experience with the same kite, a few grams more suddenly no longer matters. Just my two cents though.😉

With my limited skills i could agree that skills would matter most.

I am still hopeful that I would be able to extend my lower end capability with approximately 90+grammes shaved of my first build. The biggest advantage of lighter weight rods would be increased flex in low wind conditions? with weight savings as a nice bonus? 

Of course, i like the feel of my vented kite over the full sail but sometimes the wind is too weak for me to keep both my heavy diy full sail and my vented freilein aloft.(without running) Being grounded is no fun😉

Lightest/flexiest spars i have are the freilein Chrystal T2. Also have T3 and skyshark p2x and p4x(travel length-40cm sections) 

Felt really good in my novice hands but had a row of tree behind me that although they had lost their leaves made the already gusty inland wind more turbulent. A bit more responsive as you say than my first build (due to lighter weight?). Looking forward to test it in clean winds.

IMG20211121141527-01.thumb.jpeg.e266e479c5ee86c699b919b8bdd626d3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1