KiteLife Forum

what's a THP Platinum AVS worth?

ilh

I've been out of kiting for most of the past ten years. Before that I made a few BASKCs, Newports, MASKCs, flew a bit with Marty Sasaki on Storm Front, etc. I recently bought a 1.5 SLE to replace the Rev II and homemade Rev II SUL I lost/had stolen ten years ago. Wow, what fun! I might just get sucked into kiting once again.

Anyways, I was going through my kitebag and realized I never fly the THP Platinum AVS (red/white/blue) I bought while on vacation in Hawaii in 1995. I don't think it has flown more than 2-3 times and is in great shape. It has a spare lower leading edge spar.

Any idea what this is worth? I'd like to convert it into something I am more likely to fly like a vented 1.5 sail or a 2-line that can do the latest tricks. Back in my day an axel was cutting edge. LOL.

I took my homemade SUL Tracer-clone up this morning in 0-3mph winds. What fun. That old 1994-era Skyshark IIIp made a nice frame. I need to get up to date on what folks are building kites with now. I can't quite map out how the IIIp, Vp, and VIIp of that era that I am familiar with compare to the new sticks such as 2PT, 3PT, P100, P200, etc.

I can't wait for a day with a bit more wind to get my old trusty custom Katana up. Anyone remember Katanas?

--Lee Hetherington