KiteLife Forum

Help ! Any Information on Flying Wings Insync Duel line Kite

Asian Flyer

I need some advice on my next purchase. I've flown Stunt kites for a couple of years, just basic casual flying, ( spins, squares,

Figure 8's , landing in wing tips), no real tricks just basic flying. It's been a few years since I have flown  as I have moved to Asia a few years ago and now want to get back to flying. Difficult to find a kite shop here, but I found one that has the Flying Wings Insync. I have read the info about the specs on the site. Looks like it was released in 2008 or 2009. I like to do research before I buy anything, but a search on the Internet & YouTube have not found a single review of this kite. This is a mystery to me.  If anyone can help me with any info on this interesting and good looking kite, I would be glad to hear it. The only thing I could find was a video clip of an experienced pilot flying it . 

I am looking for a well build kite that flies well ,and capable of flying in light winds as the winds here are not strong. Not looking for an UL. Maybe in the future if I have time I will start learning tricks, but right now I just want a good solid flier for casual flying. I will attach a few photos of the Insync.. Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.b2a416253cc7f7e23c0ee613d03b113b.pngimg_2994copy_3209899296_o.thumb.jpg.6a6e2964c64d1879c208793de3a82318.jpgimg_2995copy_3209052787_o.thumb.jpg.efd050f2366c0cc34be8368ff8df7ea8.jpg img_2466_2933520295_o.thumb.jpg.b3a097075e8e091648f4f4f2b2775489.jpg.

Specs

• Wingspan: 235cm
  • Frame: 6mm carbon + Dynamic 15 wrapped carbon tube
  • Sail: .75 oz.Ripstop Nylon
  • Weight: 12oz.
  • Flying line: 85ft x 150lb Dyneema with flying straps included.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

I have the Insync. A solid kite, of typical Flying Wings build quality -- good, but not outstanding (to me). From my notes, mine is 12.3 ounces (351 grams) on the scales, so a little on the heavier side of kites of that size imo.  The frame sports 6mm pultruded carbon leading edges, which make them relatively easy and cheap(er) to repair. Stiffness comes from the rather nice DT18 wrapped carbon lower spreaders (the specs you list show the slightly lighter DT15, I note). The nylon sail allows it to be a little cheaper to make, perhaps at a slight cost of weight and other performance compared to an icarex sail.

I would say that this is a good intermediate kite, somewhat limited in range of tricks but quite capable. Very precise, however. So -- nice, square corners and steady turns, but perfectly capable of a nice axel. It calls for larger arm movements than some kites -- not a wrist-flicking kite, if that makes a difference to your flying style. Fairly solid, approaching heavy, on the lines. I would not call it a low wind kite, but that depends on your local conditions.

Features: It has a brass weight in the spine, and an adjustable leech line in the trailing edge in addition to the two standoff setups shown in the pics you posted. Two sets of 4 standoffs, which can be set up in either ‘trick’ or ‘precision’ modes. The included lines at 150# are a little heavy for light wind work perhaps. I tend to use 90#-ish, personal preference in the winds I prefer (10-15kph max).

If the price is good, go for it -- particularly if there are no other alternatives!

MIDIBOT ,Thank you so much for your super informative reply ! The price listed for the Insync at this shop is about $168 CDN. The shop owner suggested that in light winds I could remove the tail weight for just simple flying. Other kites in stock are the Impact 2, Eyesight STD , Heaven . The Sliver Fox 2.3 Pro UL is a special order at $237 CDN. Not sure I want to spend that much at this time. 😁

Oh yes... smaller kite , they also have the Prism Adrenaline

Totally understand on the price thing.  Good idea to know your budget and stay within. (Not always successful that way myself 😉) The Silver Fox UL is a good kite, particularly if it is the latest version tweaked by Lam Hoac, but there is the cost as you say. Not familiar with the other kites you mention.

Sounds like you like the looks of the Insync, and it likely will bring some smiles I should think. I have been known to remove (or leave off) the upper spreader to get a bit better lower wind performance on kites, so that may help. I forget offhand whether there are adjustment knots on the upper part of the bridle near the nose but there are options for that as well to tune for the wind. (edit: just checked -- there are knots, so the nose of the Insync can be 'pulled in' or adjusted for lower wind conditions.).

Hope that helps.

MIDIBOT    Thanks again , for the updated info on the bridle adjustment, I was wondering about that ,and the shop owner could not remember, he thought there were 3 spots of adjustment. Really nice to know that replacement parts for the frame would be easy to find if needed. So do you think the price is good for this kite. It sounds like a very well built kite considering it's age. I may have to just go for it huh ?

Thanks again, the information you have provided me is VERY much appreciated 

10 hours ago, Asian Flyer said:

MIDIBOT    Thanks again , for the updated info on the bridle adjustment, I was wondering about that ,and the shop owner could not remember, he thought there were 3 spots of adjustment. Really nice to know that replacement parts for the frame would be easy to find if needed. So do you think the price is good for this kite. It sounds like a very well built kite considering it's age. I may have to just go for it huh ?

Thanks again, the information you have provided me is VERY much appreciated 

Price: may depend where you are, but a quick look for me here in Canada shows a sale price of $199 CDN at one vendor I found, for comparison. (You do refer to Canadian dollars in your post).

Age: As long as it is a brand new kite, unflown and stored properly I would not be concerned about the design age if it goes back as far as you mention. While not everyone would agree, I think dual line sport kites have not changed THAT much in the intervening time. Many of my kites are as old or older and fly with the best, and newest, today.

Again, just my experience.

Have fun!

28 minutes ago, midibot said:

Price: may depend where you are, but a quick look for me here in Canada shows a sale price of $199 CDN at one vendor I found, for comparison. (You do refer to Canadian dollars in your post).

Age: As long as it is a brand new kite, unflown and stored properly I would not be concerned about the design age if it goes back as far as you mention. While not everyone would agree, I think dual line sport kites have not changed THAT much in the intervening time. Many of my kites are as old or older and fly with the best, and newest, today.

Again, just my experience.

Have fun!

Yes, I quoted in CDN prices to you as I see you are Located in Ontario. I pulled the trigger and ordered it today, and should be shipped out tomorrow. He gave me a slight discount and included shipping for $156.00 total (CDN). The kite is listed as new. So now I'll be excited to get it and hope for enough wind to fly it SOON. It ships as RTF . If you like I will keep you informed after it arrives.  The info you provided as an Insync owner has been Totally Awesome!!