KiteLife Forum

Arrowshafts spine deflection vs Kite rods

Fireliner

Living in Norway and no suppliers of kite rods/spars. It is however possible to buy arrow-shafts wich seem to originate from the same producers. 

But what to look for when trying to find suitable rods? Weight obviously, and stiffness and/or flex.

Arrow shafts seem to be categorized by "spine" Wich is a measurement of how much a rod bends for a central load. 

From Easton website:

The spine rating of an arrow is simply a measurement of its stiffness. The same Easton arrow comes in a variety of stiffness: the lower the number, the stiffer the arrow. For example, a 330 arrow is stiffer than a 500 spine arrow. There are two kinds of spine (stick with us, we promise not to get too technical). There’s static spine, which is how an arrow reacts when an 880-gram (1.94 lbs.) weight is suspended from the center of the arrow. The arrow must be 29” in length and supported by two points, which are 28” apart. The number of inches the arrow deflects or bends X 1000 due to the weight is the spine size or measurement of an arrow. So, a 500 arrow bends .5-inches when the weight is applied.

I suspect one might find equivalent arrowshafts to most of the commercially available "kite rods". Skysharks camo offerings seems to be a "arrowshaft"

Now i need to find the proper "spine" for my kite rod substitutes.

Anyone with knowledge wanting to share?

I have read that a spine of 500 corresponds to a skyshark p200, and spine of 300 corresponds to about p300. 

I realize i need to build a spine measuring rig..

I know a little bit about target arrows, less about hunting arrows.  There are arrow spine gauges.  Better arrow shafts are generally sold in lots of 12, but you may be able to buy individual shafts that are "less" professional.  I would try to get a shaft with a known spine to test on your testing rig so that you can compare what you rig gives verses the "listed" spine.

Many target arrows are not actually 100% carbon.  They are often cored with aluminum, and the style that are shot in the olympics are actually smaller diameter at the ends than in the middle.

I believe that quite a while back there was someone who measured spar deflections of all the popular spars at the time, you may be able to find it and measure the same way.

Good luck. 

I have researched a German forum and found info about, and users of carbon arrows, for kite use. 

Seems that a spine of 700 would correspond to skyshark P90. 

I think arrows with spine in the 250-700 range would cover most needs (Quad), given their dimensions match. Seems many actually do. Weights are comparable too.