KiteLife Forum

single line conversion

Robo319

I have (I think) a prism quantum knockoff kite. It was an RC project and this one is extra. I tried flying it, but didn't have much success. My 4yr grandson asked me about a kite. I got him one and flies pretty decent, but its small. I was thinking of converting my dual line in to single. Is it doable and worth the effort?

Thx Rob

kite.jpg

You can buy a quality 8-foot single line delta for about $30 or less. Look on eBay. You'll find hundreds of them. The dual line you have is not really intended for single line, and although not impossible, the conversion isn't worth the headache and trial and error involved. Of course, if you want to give a try, go for it -- and let us know what you did and how it flies. Most of us who have done conversions have gone the other direction; from single to dual or from dual to quad.

Good Luck,

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 1:38 PM, Robo319 said:

Is it doable and worth the effort?

Doable? Yes. Worth the effort? No way.

Dual line sport kites aren't bowed, instead your kite has standoffs. Being bowed makes kites self-balancing. Having standoffs like a sport kite makes them less stable, which is good for control. For sport kites you want a design that responds to the slightest finger movements. For a single line kite, you want a design that is rock solid no matter the tugs  and directional nudges on the line.

Get a kite that is made for single line. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.