KiteLife Forum

What kind of kite did you fly today?

Bunduki Vlieger

22 hours ago, Bunduki Vlieger said:

I don't know why Level One and PAW developed it this way. I guess because the ONE is meant for beginners and they often lose the upper spreader. ...

Oh, I thought that it was something that you had developed, I didn't realize that it came from Level One.

I was thinking about my Tricktail UL and Utopia, both of which don't have upper spreaders and do fairly well in low winds.

Today the wind was a little low, so not too much action with the Supersonic and I didn't even bother to get out the Flexifoil.  I did fairly well with the Tsuru UL.

I got a few minutes on someone else's TICA UL, which is a very nice kite and flew very nicely.  I might have to consider getting one.

IMG_0229.jpg

We'll see how tomorrow is going.

Oh, and I'm expecting a 61/49, too!

• Like 1

Better wind today.  I did a little bit with my Tsuru Std.  I had my son with me today and he mostly flew the Tsuru.  I flew an old TOTL North Shore Extreme that I recently acquired.  It was in excellent shape.  Even came with the manual and catalog.  I didn't use the kevlar lines it came with.

Added a 80 foot tube tail that I had, just to really bring back old-school feeling.

• Like 2

20220820_180714.thumb.jpg.6091191265fac608984a574d3d72d4a2.jpg

Again, the Rev B-series, this time the mid-vent on 25m lines (82ft).  Actually on a beach today, so very little ground contact not to have sand in the end caps.

ladd.thumb.png.2df9749af94c54c9ee42578983e10cbc.png

The main drill of the day.

Themes of the session:

1. Focus this time on... really feeling the lines (or occasionally remind myself to) - Not only see the kite and summarize the move by a feel(/feeling?)., but focus on feeling the lines and think about the handles movement.  Identify the input one is doing.
  2. Work on doing the ladder down wing tip pivots backwards while minimizing the end/stop wobbling, Method: mix in forwards ladder up wing tip pivots (easier) to get feeling of the the powered drive when flying the wing through the pivot. Then preserve the feeling when doing backwards/down pivots. Think of the handles and think what “they” did the last time when the move went well so that you can increase that component(s).

And yes, the drill is cyclic.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I flew my Quantum and Synapse today at an event. I also flew crashed a Djinn twice. I've never flown a quad before & didn't have much time to practice. The first crash wasn't too hard, but the second crash was much softer, so I think I was learning the controls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Falcon79 said:

I flew my Quantum and Synapse today at an event. I also flew crashed a Djinn twice. I've never flown a quad before & didn't have much time to practice. The first crash wasn't too hard, but the second crash was much softer, so I think I was learning the controls.

Oooo yeah!!!!!

Good on ya!!!! One of the first things I learned when starting this long kite journey was how to crash very gently. Best trick/maneuver ever!!!!!

Today....tide’s going out and wind is picking up a wee bit. Kite(s) will either be BMK dualies if winds are lowish and Revs if it picks up, and of course a single line glider if the wind goes somewhere else.....

bt

2 hours ago, mebeatee said:

Good on ya!!!! One of the first things I learned when starting this long kite journey was how to crash very gently. Best trick/maneuver ever!!!!!

Yep. All I was trying to do was fly to the top of the window (no problem) & bring it back down to land - that's where I ran into an issue both times...

Because I was Inverted on Make a GIF

🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

obstacle.thumb.jpg.b9e6db2489fe7bfc756fab36f01daebf.jpg

[whining]Gradually the small field is turning to something else (a storage area?) - now seven stationary objects are on it and plenty of semi mobile benches/tables, that only a group of persons can move, appear at random places. This in an area where there are few (no) other options (large fields or fields close to water) for say 20m/66ft dual line kiting.[/whining]

Maestro3.thumb.jpg.2bfec2574fca125b1cbad17875355161.jpg

I reached for a duallie (HQ Maestro 3). Time to maintain these skills as well. Authentic sea weed (from 2016?) and a repaired nose. I have much left to polish and several tricks to work on. A bit bothered about all the stuff on the field when running backwards/forwards and when recovering after failed tricks.

midVent.thumb.jpg.d4625b0999f84116963c4fe0ff25db3e.jpg

OK, this quad has been in this topic before... Some of the things addressed: backwards ladder down, horisontal reverse flying out from the centre of the wind window and catch and throw in the non-light wind. The field/obstacle course here is not so much of a problem with a quad (exception being 360-ies on 15m/49ft lines, but the wind was not low enough today for this anyhow).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bunduki Vlieger said:

Did you travel to Berlin?

Yes  we did, mostly in the former Eastern parts of Berlin during our visit. Also did try the suggested kite contact (by e-mail), but there was unfortunately no reply.

mm20221007_092440.thumb.jpg.215e750ce68aced3af234c044bd6400f.jpg

Much construction work going on. Also much space even in central parts of the town.

mm20221008_131738.thumb.jpg.2c347c69676bb3b7cad06af5bfec8bce.jpg

The future museum.

mm20221007_155032.thumb.jpg.a9e0276fed47d1148b77ddee2e2a67f4.jpg

It was still nice and warm.

mm20221009_160547.thumb.jpg.f5adea06c36c02df2a6688c7facbccf5.jpg

Never knew that curry sausage was such a big thing (however quite tasty). 🙂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking for trouble  - found the 540 deg backwards ladder down

emptyMarina.thumb.jpg.cc295a0d8dc31902e7de1addacceade1.jpg
The Rev B-series full vent with 4wrap spars.

The setting

Back to for the day windy pier. Almost all boats had been moved from the harbor (end of season) - there were no persons there. For the last three weekends I have not left the garden at home, since I have been handling the (fire)wood after having had almost all branches of an old(~150 year) common ash tree taken down. I.e. no kiting in a while.

The session

540ladderDown.thumb.png.56720c5ec35c5979300f2319160d8015.png
The main drill of the day.

Today I used the full vent B-series with four wrap spars. The new main drill of the day was a backwards ladder down with 540 deg wing tip pivots. It was a good drill that even made the kite fall out of the sky a few times. Yes this was the case at least for the 540 deg backwards pivots around the right wing tip. The 180 degrees pivots worked, the 360 worked rather OK, while the (uncommon) 540 deg turned out to be a challenge.  A bit surprising, but I guess that when leaving your usual “autopilot stuff” you find the challenges. I’ll should also try this in a future more medium wind session where the grip on the handles can be more relaxed.

The method

The 540 deg backwards wingtip downwards were made using the familiar method/sensation of actively flying the wing backwards during the wing tip pivot and letting the increased pressure fill you hand during the pivot. The pressure should stop abruptly just as the pivot stops abruptly.

unintentionalLanding.thumb.jpg.93183ac10518123a204a47c32234c702.jpg
Non-intentional landing. The brake lines went around/over the edge of the pier, thus effectively shortened, so it didn’t take off even with the LE up.

On 11/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, Bunduki Vlieger said:

A new glider.  The Putz Arrow by Leong Chee Wan.

How is it compared to you other gliders (if not to early to form an opinion)?

• Like 1

@Exult

The obvious: It's a Canard. Similar to the Prism Zero G. The Zero G has the option of trim. The Putz Arrow doesn't. But Chee Wan trims his kites before delivery.

Actually, I don't like canards. I don't like the layout.

In this case, however, the uncomplicated and easy-to-handle flight characteristics easily make up for this "flaw" for me. The Putz Arrow glides smoothly and elegantly. It is not agile/nervous but reacts well to impulses. My 6-year-old quickly understood and flew it after a short instruction.

The assembly is quick and easy. The weight is 35g. The pack size is not too big, so that the Putz Arrow is also well suited as an always-on glider.

I'm flying it indoors this evening and I'm curious to see how it performs there.

• Like 1