KiteLife Forum

Weight questions

Jon.B

During the pandemic, after a brief foray into RC planes, I fell hard into Dual Line kites.  Started with a HQ Beach Symphony foil, then a Prism Hypnotist, then Skyburner Tica2000UL, and a Prism Jazz 2.   I am still very much a beginner, though I can do most ground recoveries except dead launch, and can reliably axel/half axel, though I cannot reliably snap stall.

Anyway, While traveling this weekend, I didn't have a kite and stopped into the local hobby shop, where I found the SkyDog Jammin for a good price.  I flew it in 10 mph, and I can tell that this kite will help me learn more tricks, as it seems much more apt to getting into fade/flare.

When I set it up, I noticed that, unlike my other kites, this seemed to have both a tail end weight, and also two spine weights that are just loose on the spine.  

Are the spine weights intended to slide freely along the spine so that the weight distribution changes when flying up vs down?  Or, are these supposed to be tucked near the end of the spine in the pocket near the Velcro?

Also, do people usually take out weight for low wind flying?  

Thanks!

I think the two brass tail weights are intended to be at the bottom end of the spine, under the velcro bit. On some of my kites,(including my Jammin'), the friction of the tunnel at the velcro is enough to hold such weight(s) in place, but other kites have a 'stopper' such as a rubber O-ring, or a glued section of tubing where such friction may not be enough. A strip of electrical tape would do in a pinch.

Experiment with trying it also with just one of the brass fittings, and none, to see what you like best for performance. Generally it affects the flippiness or fore-and-aft sensitivity, and thus ability to do certain tricks that require different capabilities that way. For instance, it makes doing Jacobs Ladders and Flapjacks easier to have the weights in, but at the cost of some stability perhaps. All quite kite, wind, and flyer dependent, and preferences may be subjective to the individual.

Hth.

Thanks.  It is strange, the weights really don't want to stay in the tunnel, they always end up about half way, where they get caught on the tensioners...  I'll try the electrical tape.

I got a few days of decent wind and off work, Jammin is quite fun ( though I broke a lower spreader when the wind picked up). 

17 hours ago, Jon.B said:

[...] Jammin is quite fun ( though I broke a lower spreader when the wind picked up). 

That is a good sign. You are pushing it. Timing develops.

Happily, the Jammin' just uses 6mm or so pultruded, relatively cheap and plentiful. 

(I keep a stash on hand!).