KiteLife Forum

Rev Bungee Cord

Madoldlad

Evening everyone

Picking  some brains here.  I need to replace some of the bungee cord on my rex RX and XX.  I don't want to buy the rev spare endcap kits as it seems a really expensive way to get hold of some bungee cord.

So I had a look on eBay and a couple of other places and I can buy bungee cord in all sorts of lengths.  

But what is the correct spec?

Sizing seems to be in diameter.

Anyone know the spec used or I can rely on a rough measure, or do I go for the spec I think is right and then tension as I think to get the desired tension in the sail etc.

Hope this makes sense as it appears to be a bit of a ramble

My daughter picked up some bungee cord from a local craft store. The diameter was a little larger than I needed, but it fit through the holes and kept tension on the sail once installed. A lot of the materials in a kite were originally produced for something else (i.e. arrow nocks), so there's no reason to limit yourself on where to acquire spares. It's not like you're voiding the warranty 😉

23 hours ago, Cot51stState said:

My daughter picked up some bungee cord from a local craft store. The diameter was a little larger than I needed, but it fit through the holes and kept tension on the sail once installed. A lot of the materials in a kite were originally produced for something else (i.e. arrow nocks), so there's no reason to limit yourself on where to acquire spares. It's not like you're voiding the warranty 😉

good point on using what's available as a supplier🙂

Another alternative is a yacht chandlers. A visit can often yield some interesting items for kiting. Shock cord in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm etc. is usually available by the metre with the advantage of seeing what you are buying. Also available are spinnaker repair tapes, for those little accidents, and insignia tape for adding wear strips.

Cheers

Stephen

On 6/26/2022 at 10:53 PM, Caller Stephen said:

Another alternative is a yacht chandlers. A visit can often yield some interesting items for kiting. Shock cord in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm etc. is usually available by the metre with the advantage of seeing what you are buying. Also available are spinnaker repair tapes, for those little accidents, and insignia tape for adding wear strips.

Cheers

Stephen

Thanks Stephen , we have a chandlers in town, I'll pay a visit in passing....

.................picked up some bungee and replaced partly on a couple of kites,. Much improved no flutter and no lumpy knots catching on the ground at the leading edge