KiteLife Forum

Looking for fabric source

The_Gregors

Hello all,

I am just getting back into flying kites after a few years away.  I am also working on a design of a 2 line sport kite, the trouble is I am struggling to find sources for the material.  The big online kite ships (I am in the USA) have all of the hardware I am looking for, but I have not found a source for Transparent Mylar and Icarex.  Thank you for any suggestings.  Cheers.  

Hey Greg ,  Michael here. Get all my kite supplies at Kites and Fun Things. They have most everything you probably need. Friend of mine knows them well and their customer service is stellar.  Don't think they have transparent mylar. Never heard of transparent icarex. Into the wind gave me their last piece of laminate reinforced clear mylar with order several years ago. Call and they can tell you where to get it. You sure that is what you won't. It's heavy and used sparingly to reinforce weak part of sail. ie. Along spine. It sure won't tear but hard to sew and make it look good. Which I don't care about. Call Chuck at river city kites in Chattanooga for reasonable prices on sail boat ripstop. Used it on three kites and love it for the price. Think most is 3/4 oz. Also has large assortment of building supplies. Fabric store ripstop is usually too stretchy. Good luck and let me know how it flies. Michael 

• 3 weeks later...

I have another question about the material in a kite, I don’t know the name of the sail material used for vents.  I have a local store in Minneapolis that has a huge selection of fabrics, and a number of mesh type fabrics, but they are very stretchy.  Can anybody tell me what to look for for vent material?  Thank you for the help.  Cheers.