KiteLife Forum

Blackstar builds a Le Virus

Blackstar

Hey thanks man, I'm just trying to learn the sewing machine.  I sewed most of the kite with the wrong zigzag stitch.. and then discovered I was supposed to be using the 3 step zigzag.. oh well.  It'll hold fine.   

Ok.  I wont use glue, and if it falls apart later I'll just glue that I guess! 

Using the incorrect stitch definitely answered my questions about the tension, the width between needle stabs and the resulting span of thread in the super thin cloth was guaranteed to cause a little pinching.. so yeah now that I've swapped to the 3 step zigzag.. everything appears right as rain. 

What size needles are you using?  I am using a size 14 currently with some size 40 thread, though I have some high quality furniture polyester in size 30 coming.. It's taking forever though.

So I read this:  kites4all - Kite Sewing 101 (google.com)  a few times, and basically followed all of his advice.  I of course got confused on his stitch recommendations and ended up using the wrong zigzag as previously mentioned..  but he specifies a size 14 with the 30 thread.   I will probably try some other stuff as I do a few more projects.  

I'm really amazed how long the thread is taking to come.  I just bought that size 40 thread at a Joanne's because I was Jonzing so hard to start building.  My following projects will all be with the high quality 30 

I've gotten both sails sewn and a lot of the wing tip stuff on a single bobbin (I have a Brother sewing machine and it uses the class 15 tall bobbins) so I'm sure the big spool I ordered will last for like 50 kites lol.   

Well I haven't had much time but today I sewed one trailing edge with the leech line, and the winglet spar pocket.   

Sewing the trailing edge was kind of scary haha, I'm pretty sure I snagged the line inside the dacron fold like 10" from the tip, but then I realized I could just use a little tiny piece of tape to keep it in the crotch of the fold.  Should be alright.  I used some 150lb Hercules for the leech line 

So the next step is to do the same on the other side

Join the 2 halves 

Sew the T reinforcement

Sew the US reinforcement

Sew the LE tunnels 

20220818_164906-1494x2656.jpg

20220818_164854_crop_597x923.jpg

I sewed the other leech line/Trailing edge tunnel .. and I think I made every mistake possible.. I ended up having to cut some stitches, and cut part of the Dacron..  😑  But I ripped the stiches back a bit and fixed it all and used a drop of super glue to fix the rip and it should be OK.   If it starts getting a little threadbare I can fix it with some ripstop tape but I do think it'll be OK.   I got the two halves sewn together and now I'm going to start on the reinforcements.  Once again, it's not the prettiest thing ever, but for the first attempt at a kite, I'm fairly pleased.  

I should be able to get the rest of the kite sewn up this weekend, and possibly assembled.   I got some stainless steel ferrules coming for the leading edges, but they probably wont come for a couple weeks so I think I'll most likely assemble it with full length spars. 

I used wood dowels for ferrules. Just make a really tight fit. Has not broke there but broke where hollow. I make all the connections with homemade stuff to have more fun building and those parts add up fast$.  Gas line tubing works great. Don't worry about looks nobody cares when you have a big grin flying YOUR kite. Michael 

Yeah I am definitely not great at sewing and there's lots of evidence in this so far.. But some of it is alright. Thanks for the kind words! 

The wood burner as a hot cutter works flawlessly. Glad I spent the $20 on it.  I put a fold of Dacron on the nose and hot cut it the flush with the angles.  

Finished sewing the other leading edge!  Everything is pretty symmetrical somehow! 

So now I have to make a "melt out" template for the spreader cutouts, and for the center T, and sew the nose.  

I'm concerned about the bridle but I'm sure I'll figure it out when we get there!

20220821_094712_crop_597x1004.jpg

On 8/19/2022 at 6:09 PM, Michael Marmaras said:

I used wood dowels for ferrules. Just make a really tight fit. Has not broke there but broke where hollow. I make all the connections with homemade stuff to have more fun building and those parts add up fast$.  Gas line tubing works great. Don't worry about looks nobody cares when you have a big grin flying YOUR kite. Michael 

All my rods are non-wrapped pulltruded carbon, which I have read will break much easier at an internal ferrule. I read thst using a wrapped rod is the way to go with internal ferrule.  I have no experience in this matter first hand other than my old old kite that has lasted for 30 years has external ferrule for the non wrapped rods.

Finished the nose, the Cordura was a little thinner than I anticipated so I doubleda layer and melted it together. I can fix it later with something else if it rips.  I have a rubber cap on the rod so it's fairly soft and the load is spread out 

20220821_105658_crop_722x651.jpg

20220821_105908_crop_493x998.jpg

But really the wood burning tool is MVP for all this plastic based fabric. You can tack it, melt it, cut it, join it..  I had a spare soldering stand holder so it's an official tool setup. I'm thinking about making the power cord 5 feet longer.

Could someone help describe the bridle in this pic a little better to me? 

It indicates that all measurements are shown without knots (I'm assuming its mean to be as if there was a line right from where it attaches to the rod and where the other piece of bridle comes off of it) 

Ive been reading on this website here:

Andy Wardley: Knots for Bridle Makers

That page is the knot part, but he has tons of overall info there.

so would I make the green part out of one piece of line, perhaps with a simple knot on either side of where the blue line attaches, and then the blue parts would be one main line to the green line, and then the spot where you hook up the control line is an overhand knot with one of the "tails" being that 50mm section that goes to the green line?

I don't really know what I'm doing on this at all, any advice would be cool :)

LeVirus-turbobridle-2.jpg

Been there, I attach a small line to each kite spar point . 2 leading edge one spine. 3 total. Tie 3 knots 1/4 " on each, then attach your 3 bridle lines to the knoted 3 lines with a simple larkhead . Very easy to assemble and adjust. Slp lock knots also very easy but might slip depending on bridle sting .  Get close to the sweet  spot viewing kite and it will FLY.lower bottom outside edge sites can help you