KiteLife Forum

Blackstar builds a Le Virus

Blackstar

So back to Bridling.  Questions:

1.) Making the Uphaul and Outhaul out of a single piece and then the Inhaul attaches with a prussik knot - is this a functional design? If so, is the Prussik knot adequate to keep the connection point locked?   I have certainly seen this on some kites before, but I wasn't sure if it was still used.   I have seen "Stopper" knots tied at the ends of the adjustability. 

2.) Do the Uphaul and Outhaul need to be separate lengths, adjusting the nose pitch for wind/controls only using the Uphaul?  

The way I have tied mine is the Uphaul and Outhaul are one strand, the turbo leg is part of the inhaul (see pic above) and the Inhaul has a Prussik around the Up/Outhaul strand as described in question 1. 

When you finish the quad it won't be that close to the original. Every copies good kite designs. They just don't won't you selling and marketing them.  Mary Ann steered you wright. Tapered rod is also a good benefit. Good to also use internal ferrules.  Knew it would fly good. Just play with bridle adjustment.  Those Prism kites are tough. Love them. I'm a pretty reckless flier and hardly ever break. Send me a picture. What quad are you building? Easier build than other one. Mary Ann has quad kite rods for some Revs I used them in all of mine. Think CXL. Large diam. But rebound fast for fast responsive Quad. Have FUN!  Michael 

I started a Freedom 2000 using a sail plan from the kitebuilder forum.   I have half of it sewn and I'll probably finish the other half this weekend as I am waiting on spars for my Virus to go fly again.   I ordered .315" rods for the top piece, and .240" for the vertical pieces, curious to see if they get torn up with this design, though I've read they are really sturdy and the frame is hard to damage. 

I bought the 5PT rods for my sons kite as well while I was at it. 

• 8 months later...

Hey Black star. Been a while. How did the one turn out you made first?  The La Virus seems like a pretty advance trickster. Looks about 8 foot.  Made 2 that big. Both fly really different but in a good way. One is very twicky and over reacts which I like. Other more ballet and easy going. Added a flap of fabric along the trailing edge to make it very noisy. Lots of fun when the winds are high.Good luck with the build. Post a picture.