KiteLife Forum

Welcome Falcon79

Hello @Falcon79,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Hey, KL Forum.

I started flying Trllby diamond kites back in the early/mid 90s when I was a kid. I eventually got 4 of them in a stack and loved flying them in the Outer Banks, NC. In 1999 I got a large Flying Wings delta out in San Diego that I flew quite a bit until the spine broke, when my girlfriend crashed it (I forgave her and eventually married her). In 2007 I got a Beetle out in Lincoln City, OR, but I didn't fly it a whole lot. Life and other interests kept me from enjoying my kites as much as I could.

I recently went back out to the Outer Banks and bought 3 new kites - a Prism Quantum 2.0, a Nexus 2.0, and a Synapse 140 (my first ever foil), and I forgot how much I loved flying. I'm in the process of getting my first 2 deltas fixed so my sons can learn on them, and I have ordered a couple more Nexus kites in order to stack them.

I am quite comfortable at keeping my kites in the air for some skywriting, dives, low passes, landings, etc., but I'm looking to get into trick flying. Nothing too serious, just seeing what I can do and having fun along the way to make flying a bit more adventurous and eye catching. I can stall, side slide, back flip, lazy Susan, and I'm *this* close to a consistent axel (I'm great at accidental half axels 🤣), and I have a couple ground recoveries in my bag as well.  I'm joining to maybe connect with others who might be able to help me along the way and maybe someday be in a position to help others as they start their journey.

Keep chasing the wind.

20220616_070424 (1) - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:14 PM, Falcon79 said:

In 1999 I got a large Flying Wings delta out in San Diego that I flew quite a bit until the spine broke, when my girlfriend crashed it (I forgave her and eventually married her)

:) Sometimes patience is really rewarded! B.t.w. he first time I saw my wife was on a downhill ski trip when I also did some limited ski traction kiting. I still have the kite (a 5^2 Peter Lynn Peel - my first foil (guess that one should have started with a small trainer foil, but budget was really limited at the time)), but I haven’t used it since.

and bought 3 new kites - a Prism Quantum 2.0, a Nexus 2.0, and a Synapse 140 (my first ever foil)

How serious! Myself, I'm on a diet - never more than two kites and not (preferably) more than one purchase a year. There is so much to learn from one kite.

I'm in the process of getting my first 2 deltas fixed so my sons can learn on them

It is a start (like feeding wild birds with breadcrumbs in your hand), but the real take off would be when your sons borrow the kites to go flying/piloting with friends.

I can stall, side slide, back flip, lazy Susan, and I'm *this* close to a consistent axel

Funny, after the snap stall the axle was the first trick for me. To do the Lazy Susan, that took a loong time.

Good luck with your return to kiting!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Exult said:

How serious! Myself, I'm on a diet - never more than two kites and not (preferably) more than one purchase a year. There is so much to learn from one kite.

Thanks for the welcome. Trust me, I'm definitely storing up for the drought. 🤣