KiteLife Forum

Spectra fishing line

gorakshep

20 hours ago, gorakshep said:

Is Spectra fishing line acceptable in making quad lines for kiting? 

I have not tried spectra fishing line myself, but there are people here who have, or have discussed it. Using the search function on here I came up with this relatively recent thread which seems to advise against it, depending on the braid or weave (scroll down a bit in there):

https://kitelife.com/forum/topic/10139-line-sets/#comment-79696

There are other comments by awindofchange and others in an older thread on another forum that may prove helpful:

https://www.revkites.net/forum/topic/6166-spectra-fishing-line-vs-spectra-kite-line/

Let us know how your experiment works out if you proceed. It may be a useful addition to the knowledge base.

I've used PowerPro Super 8 Slick 50# with good result. It's a small diameter, 8 strand, coated, braided line. Mind you, these have been for 13'-40' max line sets and generally in less than 7 mph winds. But at $35 for 300 yards, it's enabled me to experiment with a variety of line lengths and not feel too bad when I get lazy and drag them across concrete/asphalt. This purchase was made over 3 years ago and I just used the last of it within the past month for a 25' line set. 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, gorakshep said:

Is Spectra fishing line acceptable in making quad lines for kiting? 

If you're flying alone and don't mind lines that grab themselves like crap, go for it.

If you're flying with other people, no, not acceptable unless you've explicitly told them.  Get actual kite lines.

• Like 1