KiteLife Forum

acrobatx thoughts?,owners pls lookin

sleek

hi im looking at getting an acrobatx kite as a first kite and am wondering how much slower a big kite is compared to a smaller one?, if the bridles are set correctly will it go as quick as the nexus in the video clip?(please look 38-41 secs into the clip were the kites doing fig 8s above the tree), will the acrobatx be as quick as this one with the right wind and bridle settings?) thanks

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7845968459671282275

Hey there,

The Acrobatx should be able to keep up with that kite with the right wind. I've never flown a Nexus, but at 5.5 ft, it's too small for me. I think the Acrobatx is a great choice as a first kite, I wish it had been my first kite.

~Rob.

The only thing I've found with the Acrobatx is that it's effective upper wind range is about 13-14mph... The frame is too flexible, and starts to distort after that.

The plastic T piece has also shown itself to be a weak spot, breaking somtimes.

A few quick, inexpensive mods would resolve some of these issues though.

Hey Sleek...

I don't know if the Nexus would beat the Acrobatx in a side by side race, but I have a 5' wingspan kite, and it's not any faster than the Acrobatx, just twitchier. I haven't flown it in a while, just keep it in the bag to give to first timers to fly. If you want to go fast, I hear the Prism Micron is lightning fast.

~Rob.

the micron is really fast in a 20 mph wind with 30 foot lines just try to keep up with it

yeh but i want somthing pretty big, im 90% sure ill end up with the acrobatx does any anyone have any vids of it flying? ive seen the one on the flying wings website but it doesnt really show the kite in higher wind conditions.

is a small kite faster than a bigger one? (5 and 7ft)

thanks for your help.

Hey Sleek...

Bigger is easier to fly, but more surface area drags the speed down. In the same wind, side by side, I think a smaller kite is going to seem faster. If all you want to do is zip around doing loops and figure 8s at high speed, get the smaller kite. If you're interested in stalling, landing, and more advanced tricking, get the bigger kite. If you're trying to learn tricks, the last thing you want is a twitchy kite.

I only have still shots of the Acrobatx in flight, but I can say that the Acrobatx is faster than most of the kites in my bag. The only kites that might be faster are the 5' wingspan kites that I don't fly anymore.

~Rob.