KiteLife Forum

List of Quads

Traveller

Hi2all!

As you can see from my sig, I own three quads - all Revs. That's most likely because Revolution started Quad Fever & is still leading the field today!

When I bought my first serious kite(s), Peter Powell Rainbows, there were only a few serious kite manufacturers - each one leading their field, just like Revolution has (& still is) w/quad-stunt-kiting. And while I was flying my Flexies (~'84), the Hawaiin was the delta back in those days.

It is however now practically impossible to list all deltas that hit the market in the last two decades - and thus, I can imagine that more & more quad stunt-kites are & will be hitting the market in the near future. Hence, my interest in compiling a list of all existing Quads & eventually with your help, some info behind each one & your own experiences with them!

-> Revolutions - no intro necessary & they are nicely described in Jason Paul's post :D

-> Invento-HQ Kites: M-Quad & Hypnotic-Quad

-> Kites Spit Fire: Vision / Sub-Vision: german & English info

-> Wolfgang Siebert's Kamikase Butterfly

-> Benson (Wardly) Airbow

-> New Tech Kites: Spirit Quad(s)

-> SkyDancers "Inter Active" custom quads

Well, that's about all I can think of off the top, but certainly not a comprehensive listing, by any means: that's what I'm hoping to accomplish with your help :lol: Please feel free to post links+info to other Quads as well as to offer your own personal experiences with any Quad!

I had a Synergy Deca that Marc Ricketts gave me in 1993 or so, if I remember right... Maybe '94 or '95 even.

The design is brilliant, as none of the spars actually touch the sail!

But, it lacks in stability and control... And did not seem to have as many dimensions of flight as the Revolution and other similarly based designs.

Of course, if you spend enough time on anything you can usually make it do what you need to... Ricketts could probably make me eat my words, but not the average quad flier.

John wrote:

Remember the Double Diamond from Peter Powell?

Oh yes, that was one when you wanted to put it away, just fly it in a good wind and it would fold itself up. ;);)

Not a bad flying kite in a small wind window.

There were a lot out there that the owners didn't know their names. Cute, flyable but nothing memorable.

I liked the tetris, omni, synergy, symphony, skydancer, bat, beautiful evil, . (Joel Scholtz can bridle anything!) They all had their perks, and their flaws. or weak points.

And not being a bit predjudice still have to say my Rev. is the best.

BB

Penny

I ran into one of the guildworks guys last year at a local festival. I think his name was Peter something. He had a low-wind Deca that he handed to me. The wind was actually pretty high so I had to be careful not to break it. However, it seemed quite precise to me. Flew well forwards and backwards, spins were fast. Clockwork turns were easy. Didn't seem to accelerate or stop as fast, but as I said, I was being careful. I didn't try any 3D type moves as I don't even do those with my Rev ;) .

I've seen them flown indoors and they look very cool. In fact, I like the way they look better than Revs. They look more graceful and "ballet-like" for slow flying.

They still make them, but Guildworks has moved to Madison, WI.

Guildworks Decas

If you ever want to play with them, go to this festival where you can fly kites while standing on water!

festival

I'd like to see what Penny could do with them indoors.

-Mike

I have flown them indoors. ;) They take about an hour to get the slow and the less angled handles feeling familiar. I'm not great at it, but I can do a few things.

They are beautiuful and mystic looking, as our all Marc's kites. :ph34r: But the Rev. isn't as limited. I also like the fact, when I do a reverse, people can tell I'm doing a reverse. With many of the quads out there, they don't show the difference between top and bottom. Forward and Reverse is not the same. I want people to really be able to tell the difference.

I don't know what he calls his cellular tetras style, but that's a kewl indoor single line. Sam Houston won his package at AKA a few years ago, and I got to fly them all at the Sheridan Hotel on New Years Eve for their First Night. They are wonderful, fun, entertaining, and then your done. Back and Forth.... Back and Forth.. but they look great and I enjoy playing with them. Still.. I'm looking around for my Rev. ;)

BB

Penny

...A quad from PP??? Any pics / links for us John - please?

Sorry, no pics... I did a web search, to no avail.

It closely resembled two Peter Powell diamond kites...

Imagine two, one on the right and one on the left... Then overlap the nearest corners slightly. Not very efficient, but a design all on it's own.

• 4 weeks later...

Smile when you talk about The Double Delta, It was my first quad.

Its graphics had an arrow on one delta pointing up and an arrow pointing either left or right on the other so you new which was the top and bottom of the kite. You flew with a set of equal length handles molded for your right and left hands so you could keep them straight

John if memory serves me there was a review of the double delta in SKQ at one time

The Flame?

But of course... The stack of Flames is dead center, being flown by Curtiss Mitchell himself ...

[repost...]

Woah, that's one funky lookin' quad :wacko: But the real question's how does the Flame perform...?

Come to think of it, all of WFD's kites are pretty funky lookin' (luv that fighter!) :D

ah ...but cheap they ain't...

Besides my collection of Revolution kites I have a few odd balls as well. Here is the list:

Revolution kites:

Blast

1.5 M SLE

1.5 Vented

Noes Omega (2)

Rev. 1 custom

Rev. II's (4)

Supersonic

Other Quads:

Interactive "Skydancer"

Tail Spin "Lomax"

Ted Doughtry "Quadraflex"

Nathan Seldon "Cyclone"

Charly :wacko:

John,

In your post above with the picture of the quad sets, what can you tell me about the set on the right of the picture. I won a Rev. 1 at the WKA/PCKA X-mas party last year in the raffle, and it looks just like that set of kites. Was it a standard kite, or were they customs?

Thanks

Charly :wacko: