KiteLife Forum

A really basic question

kantaxel

Hi,

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but last weekend at Whidbey was the first time I really noticed the knots on the leaders on top of the competitor's handles. The purpose? I'm thinking it might have something to do with sensititvity? How does one go about doing it and suggested lengths of leaders both top and bottom would be appreciated.

Jim :kid_cussing:

it all depends on your flying style tuneing leaders are diffrent with all kites youll have to do your knots as you fly youll notice a diffrence in pull responce and reverse control as well as haveing settings for diffrent wind speeds my leaders for my blast are 10 inches long with 10 knots 1 inch apart but you might find that a diffrent setting might be better for you so it all depends on what is comfortable foy you and you can do it at the field by just makeing a knot 1 inch from the first knot just make sure you use a leader line that you can untie bridle line works good you can also buy a spool of 100 foot 300 # singlt line dacron its thick and holds knots well and you can tie and untie knots eazly with no hastle good luck to you let me know how you do

It sounds like your referring to a Rev.

I consider my adjustments on the top of my handles to be my gears.

If I move the lines to a knot further away from the handles, I'm laying the top of the kite back. More air dumps out of it, so in higher winds, I lay my kite back to slow it down making it more controllable.

In lighter wind, you can pull the line up a knot towards the handles; this will tilt the kite forward helping to give it more lift.

Some people put them on the top; some put them on the bottom. I think just top or bottom, but both should not be necessary.

If you have a large loop on the top of your handles, you can turn that into a type of slide knot that you hook on to instead. There will be fewer knots for your line to be caught on.

It's not necessary to fly the kite. A few people don't use adjustments, but those that try their kite with them love them.

Giving it less pull in high winds is nice. Lowering your hands up and down on the Rev. handles for light and high winds can also improve your speed control. Again every one has their own style and preference of how they fly their own kites. :kid_cussing::censored: )We love the diversity. :lol::)

It sounds like your referring to a Rev.

I consider my adjustments on the top of my handles to be my gears.

If I move the lines to a knot further away from the handles, I'm laying the top of the kite back. More air dumps out of it, so in higher winds, I lay my kite back to slow it down making it more controllable.

In lighter wind, you can pull the line up a knot towards the handles; this will tilt the kite forward helping to give it more lift.

Some people put them on the top; some put them on the bottom. I think just top or bottom, but both should not be necessary.

If you have a large loop on the top of your handles, you can turn that into a type of slide knot that you hook on to instead. There will be fewer knots for your line to be caught on.

It's not necessary to fly the kite. A few people don't use adjustments, but those that try their kite with them love them.

Giving it less pull in high winds is nice. Lowering your hands up and down on the Rev. handles for light and high winds can also improve your speed control. Again every one has their own style and preference of how they fly their own kites. :kid_cussing::censored: )We love the diversity. :lol::)

Thanks Penny-antman,

I can see that it's just one of those things that's kinda strange . The ability to change the length difference between top and bottom for lift will also help to maybe slow down the amount of movement to try and find neutral?

I took a quick, on the field lesson from John B at Wesport in 2004 and am still amazed at how he finds nuetral and can fly it one handed. I will modify a set and give it the old college try. I know-Practice, practice, PRACTICE!

Thanks,

Jim