KiteLife Forum

Another kite question - But a 2nd kite one, not first kite

Skyclad01

I respect your sentiment about wingspan, but am curious... What characteristics are you avoiding by going with the smaller kite?

Genuinely interested. :)

When I tried the Mirage and E2, they just felt too big when I would try for a half axel. I know a lot of that is just me as I am still learning how to do them. But at the same time, those kites also felt a little overwhelming, and they just feel sloppy (maybe sluggish is the better word for it) to me when you turn them for axels and fades.

And my Detonator is only a 55" wingspan, and thats way too small of a wingspan for me. So im looing for something more around the 76" to 81" wingspan.

a bigger kites moves slower so i would think that you would want that for an eazier way to learn trick a smaller kite wil go to fast and can be hard to trick with but i guess it depends on the flying style you have

Exactly. Thats the other reason why I want a meduim sized wingspan. I want it slow enough to do fades, axels, ect. but to not be too slow cause I like to have that speed as well.

did you try looking at the quantom pro or the opera 23 or sheva those are all good mid size kites also the new thec french connection

Ive read a lot of good things about The French Connection and Quantum Pro. But unfortunatly those are just outside of my price range unless I get lucky and find one for $100 shipped.

What do people think about the Freestlylist by Sky Burner for Skyclad01? At 88 inches it is a bit bigger than he wants but it does axle well.

As a novice, in my brief time using it, I found it easy to learn some tricks that I could not do on other kites. At my level, when messing up a trick, I find it very forgiving and it seems as though I can recover from most messed up attempts without having to walk out and unwrap the lines. I spent several hours trying out the standard version in my test flight and about 15 minutes on the UL version.

A kitelife review of this one can be found here:

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/issue47/f...ist47/index.htm

(hope it is ok to post the link)

Others who have more experience with the kite might be able to answer more to your situation, but I have found it to be what I would want for my "second kite".

Of course the best thing is to try before you buy, as you have been able with some.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Nice kite, but its just slightly out of my price range unfortunatly.

As of right now, im between The French Connection and the Techno. Im waiting to get some info on some other kites, but thats where im at for the moment.

I appreciate everyones suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming :blue-music:

As of right now, im between The French Connection and the Techno. Im waiting to get some info on some other kites, but thats where im at for the moment.

The Freestylist comes in under (well under) $200. It is a class above the FC in build quality, compenents and flight capability. Sure its not RTF but the line set supplied with the FC is no great shakes, You could get a decent spectra lineset and straps for the Freestylist and still come in under $200.

I had a demo FC and was underwhelmed with it. The Freestylist is made in the US by heads up sails and like all the Skyburner kites it comes well built and well designed.

The Freestylist will take you at lot further and give you pleasure for a longer time then the FC. It however is your money.

Robert

The Freestylist comes in under (well under) $200. It is a class above the FC in build quality, compenents and flight capability. Sure its not RTF but the line set supplied with the FC is no great shakes, You could get a decent spectra lineset and straps for the Freestylist and still come in under $200.

I had a demo FC and was underwhelmed with it. The Freestylist is made in the US by heads up sails and like all the Skyburner kites it comes well built and well designed.

The Freestylist will take you at lot further and give you pleasure for a longer time then the FC. It however is your money.

Robert

I will definitely keep that in mind and take it into consideration as my kite decision slowly comes to a close.

Thank you.

Well, it looks like (with the very kind offer) I will be getting a Techno and a Nighthawk. So unless something changes that decision in the next day and a half (which is not likely to happen), that will bring this thread to a close finally. :kid_frustrated:

So I want to give a big thanks to everyone for thier help, opinions and suggestions to this newbe and making him feel very welcome to the board! :kid_brooding:

Thank you

Brian

Our pleasure Skyclad... If you're up for it, please do share your experiences with both kites once you've gotten fair time on them. :kid_frustrated:

The public wants to know.

I will definitely do that!

But be forewarned; My personal experience may vary from many others peoples experiences. Plus these are used/demo kites, so I dont know if the tuning may be slightly different than one right out of the bag.

Our pleasure Skyclad... If you're up for it, please do share your experiences with both kites once you've gotten fair time on them. :kid_frustrated:

But be forewarned; My personal experience may vary from many others peoples experiences. Plus these are used/demo kites, so I dont know if the tuning may be slightly different than one right out of the bag.

Could be that John may have flown them at some time or other as well :kid_brooding:

Have fun with them Brian! :censored:

Theresa

Our pleasure Skyclad... If you're up for it, please do share your experiences with both kites once you've gotten fair time on them. :kid_brooding:

Could be that John may have flown them at some time or other as well :censored:

Have fun with them Brian! :)

Theresa

So would that mean I can blame John if I cant get the kites to do any tricks? :kid_frustrated: j/k

And thank you so much Theresa for selling me these kites. Possibly in the near future (well as near as can be for me) I may buy some extra lines for them from you.

• 2 weeks later...
Our pleasure Skyclad... If you're up for it, please do share your experiences with both kites once you've gotten fair time on them. :lol:

Update:

Even though ive only had the kites for 2 days, I love them both. As of today, ive had my first successful axel with the Nighthawk. I then moved on to the Techno Pro and was able to do them on that one as well without any problems. But since the winds were a bit strong today, I mostly used the Nighthawk as its a slightly heaver kite than the Techno.

Im really looking forward to having plenty of fun with these two kites. The bad thing is I only one set of lines, and they are 150# line. But I seem to work well with them regardless. I do have plans on getting 85-90# lines before too long, so that will be good.

Thank you so much again Theresa!