KiteLife Forum

gusty wind flying

sky fish

How do you keep control for stunts in gusty winds ? Living in Eastern WA at the foot of the cascade mountains I do not often get a good steady wind and often it will change directions any and all suggestions would be well come good winds to all

i always do the edge of the window myself that works if your flying in smaller areas where the winds can be sloppy you also should have a vented heavy wind kite handy they for some reason fly better in winds like that

My life is gusty winds or no winds. I live at the Eastren base of the Rockies. Gusty wind you learn to be fast on your feet and work in 10 second intervals. My winds are typically gusty and change directions by about 20 to 30 degrees. I feel pretty good if I can find a 10 to 20 second steady slot o try a trick. This can be very frustrating.

What has been my solution is to try to fly with very low winds when there is more control over the wind. Get a good SUL, UL or indoor kite. I get my best flying in low winds. Here we get nice low winds about mid morning unless there is a front coming through.

I spent the summer on the coast and it was like kite heaven. Got to try things more than once.

And learn to move quickly you may need to run down wind to keep the kite stalled or move upwind to stop the kite descending to fast. You need to move the entire body to control the relative wind speed. If you stop and watch the kite and appreciate your skills you may end with egg on your face

Thank's every one I have been doing it the right way all along moving up an down the park and flying at the outer edge it is just the frustration off the wind's. Though I dont know what a vented kite is ?please name one so I can check in to it. good winds to all :blue-music:

A vented kite has holes in the sail to cut down on pressure in high winds.

These are usually triangular with mesh sewn into the sail, and one or more sets of vents can be run covered/uncovered to adjust for wind range.

Most competition sets have versions for almost no wind (SUL), light wind (UL), moderate 6-12 mph(STD) and vented 15-25 mph.

Examples of models are Nirvana, Sea Devil, Genesis, Shiva, Tramontana--there's more but those are the first that come to mind.

• 2 weeks later...
With two exceptions...

Sea Devil Mid-Vent (probably the best partially vented kite I've ever flown)

Shiva Vented (still flies 85% as well as it's full sail brother)

Both are favorites of mine.

hello John would you please tell me who makes the sea devil its probable out of my $$ but you have me looking for it thanks

http://www.skysportdesign.com/

LAM HOAC makes them. You can find him on this forum all the time. There is a seperate topic section under manufacturers just for his kites and he is the moderator. Seems like a great guy, I have never met him personally but everyone who knows him speaks highly of him and he is very knowledgable of his products :w00t: .

For the quality of the kites they are reasonably priced.

Copying from his website listed above the prices are:

Deluxe SUL** - $445

Deluxe Ultralight** - $399

Deluxe Light - $325

Deluxe Standard - $325

He usually takes the requests himself and hand builds them. You have to love that!

Hey John....Darn nice web site there! :bones::P

Yep, when you're ready, just call The Kite Shoppe and talk to Lam. He will fix you right up. :lol:

A flyer came in on Monday....picked out his colors and model (SD Light).....came back on Tuesday and Lam had the kite all ready to go :)

The next day, we all spent the day watching videos with play by play from Lam :)

Lots of fun!

Theresa