KiteLife Forum

Broken sewing machine help

sourenU

So my sewing machine that I picked up yesterday at the thrift store has a piece of tape that reads "Needs repair but all gears are replaced" so I have been trying to find the problem, I originally thought it would be the feed dogs not working because they weren't but then I turned a dial called "flexi stitch" and it works. BUUUT the feed dogs are slow and so is the little thing that catches the thread where you put your bobbin in. 

Any fixes?

-souren

Could be the main drive belt to the motor slipping. Tighten if really loose. Belts with notches probably isn't slipping but smooth ones often slip and stretch with age. Don't over tighten. Check all the cams that rotate on the main horizonal drive shaft. Tighten any loose set screws. The cam that spins the round bobbin case if tight and in alignment,ie timing, should spin and pick up the tread from the needle with the hook on the wheel. You Tube shows how the adjust timing if yours isn't pulling the tread up. Other great videos on different problems. That's where I learned everything. Good luck. Make sure gears really are working properly by turning machine manual and checking. Michael marmarasmichael@gmail.com

Yeah, I am ordering supplies soon and repairing the machine. Till then I will fly my fighters. I checked kites and fun things for the spars and icarex but what other parts do I need, connectors? Seamstick? bungee? mesh? dacron? mylar? im pretty confused so it would be pretty cool if you could put a list of what I need exactly to make a quad (except the icarex and spars)

Also, post a picture of your kites, I would love to see your quads and even your fighters!

Mary Anne at kites and fun things will be glad the help you out. Just shoot her an email. She has a pre cut and ferruled spar kit for a Rev Quad. Think they are CXL sky shark. Even has 3 types for different wind conditions. Not many other parts. Good you are using icarex. Great stuff. Would not use seam stick. Just sew everything and don't worry how ugly it looks. It will fly fine. Don't forget quad line and handles. If you have any problems I'll try and help. Don't know computer sh*t well so only know how to send pictures through email.  Have some interesting fighter kite designs I sort of made up. Fight on!

Thats cool!

to send a picture on this site, when you are writing a message/ reply/ post, at the bottom it will say "Drag here to attach or choose files", next to it, it will say "choose files" click on choose files and find your image in your file folder, then post and enjoy!

Thanks for the tech support lesson. I'm so not tech savvy. If it's too much trouble I just don't care to do it. Sounds easy enough so I will give it a try. Chattanooga's annual kite festival is next Saturday. Get the word out. They have to have a kite safety person so good friend volunteered me for it for second year. I'm the one that should need supervision. Great fun awaits. Will try and send so picture from my gallery file? Well it sent the last picture I had sent my sister on how tiny my fighter kites are. I'll figure it out tomorrow and send you my stunt kite creations

IMG_20230408_192546.jpg

that is one tiny kite, by the way. I went to the sewing machine repair shop, it is in downtown Austin to it was really old but the ladies were nice but too talkative, they quoted 8 weeks waiting and 28 dollars for easy fixes and for most fixes it was 100+. I literally paid 25 dollars for the machine, they tried to sell me and my dad a 400 dollar + machine. I told them I was a beginner and my dad doesn't know much so they prolly tried to take advantage of it. Anyway I came home and was like: "why not" and opened the machine with my dad (he likes these types of projects). Immediately 2 set screws fell out, I literally put them back in and the machine works like new, didn't even have to fix the bobbin timing. 

I hope you enjoy the kite festival, take lots of pictures to post here. Austin's kite festival was pretty fun, I got to see some trick fliers in action. What material do you use for the spars on your fighters? I use bamboo that I collected during the Indian kite festival that happens every year. I had a limited quantity but I used them all so now I cant even make fighter kites. Anyway il be waiting for those stunt kite pics :)

The pink picture went through? I think. Hate all this technology. My great friend that has a kite shop in Chattanooga, River City Kites, Chuck Jones went to Austin for his master's in mathematics. Awsome liberal town the opposite of the conservative buckel of the bible belt here. 7 churches in a square mile where I live. I use all bamboo from my back yard bamboo jungle. .3  - .5 mm microcarbon rods are best for the cross spar and bamboo for spin. We use mylar ie foil wrapping for sails or icarex or different types of low stretch plastics. Often paper too. Just fly paper when ground is dry. Enough rambling. I will try the picture send another day. Fly High I do?

IMG_20230415_234351.jpg

I had to take new pictures because it would only bring up the latest 30 pictures.  The yellow one I added some wierd trailing edge flaps to make it really noisey. Kind of fun in strong wind. The Fulcrum quad is sewn but not framed so it is next. I can't fly it but Chuck is an awesome pilot. Let you know. Awesome the machine is working so get to work?

Yeah im going to get to work but till the stuff I ordered comes, I am going to repurpose 2 kites that never flew and make them into fighters, the icarex is phenomenal on those but the kite is trash. Im practicing my sewing skills so I dont waste the icarex, I am making an essentials kite, maybe you should check it out for your next project but here is where I found it:-  https://watty.us/kite-plans/2022/3/13/essentials 

Does the fulcrum kite look like this?

Yes the icarex is nice but expensive. Glad your repurposing your kites. Make the cross spar as thin and flexible for a responsive fighter. That design is just like a Rev and easy to sew. The fulcrum is way different as it has pentagon shapes and thin rectangle in-between. Alot more rods and a pain to make. Look up the videos of them flying. The stop on a dime. Quite a flyer. Enjoy sewing and don't worry about it looking great because it won't. Keep me informed. Michael 

Hey sourenU,  Chattanooga is enjoying our annual Fun Kite Festival this Saturday. If you do social media get the word out. 60% rain but means 40% sun. At Montague Park ie. Sculpture Field. I'll be there for sure. Wind should be good with a front coming through. I've flown plenty of times in crazy storms. Good times? Michael 

How much is icarex, and what kite should I make from a small amount of some leftover icarex one of my other broken kites, I do have spars that I can saw but they are from the kite that wont fly (aliexpress haha). Do you think a mini rev is feasible or will it only fly in high wind, I have around a yard of icarex

That yard would be perfect for a Rokoka Kite. Easy enough to make and are the most rock steady fliers around. Bridle is a little tricky but real important. You Tube is you friend? Great videos of the entire build. Made a 8 foot tall one out of bamboo and a garden tarp and it went traight up and traight down. That would have killed someone as it was anchored to a car bumper.  Be careful always! Not like me.

Have made a few Rokuka kites. One was 8 ft. And needed to be anchored to a truck hitch. Bamboo frame.  Too dangerous to fly around anything.  Had one crash and probably would have killed someone. Get the thinnest light weight tarp you can find. Like Big Lots. Frame with what you can find. Have fun. Make bridle adjustable too.