KiteLife Forum

Fraying cords any ideas on what I can do to prevent?

Airbrush

Hi, 

New to the forum and looking for some suggestions.

I have a Freilein Windrider II quad line kite. I've only had it up a few times now and noticed the cords are fraying right where the holes are. I'm assuming from the hard edge of the hole being cut/melted there.
Any suggestions on how to remedy it?
thx

20230413_174143.jpg

Yes there is some tension on it. The fraying is occurring on the edge of the material hole. It seems like it is cut using heat so the edges of those hole feel quite hard/sharp, but not sure a good work around...if there was small thin rubber grommets? ideas?

These cords have a plastic sheathing on them where they enter/exit the cap holes so that's great, it doesn't fray there. I have another freiline quad that doesn't have that on it and the cords frayed/broke there. I ended up filing/rounding over the edges of the caps to prevent in future on that kite.

• Like 1

I've seen where OSK had added heat shrink tubing to the middle of the bungee and thought it a good idea. None of my quads have that and the bungee always fails in the middle. I've been able to find bungee locally and keep a couple of yards of it in my repair kit. For a frequently flow (or in my case, abused) kite, bungee becomes a consumable item. 

**this topic of bungee is not specific to quad kiting, but you're right, you may get more response if it were posted there. **

• 2 months later...

has anyone tried small metal grommets before? I ordered some small 3mm ones to try out. Can't really do heat shrink right at the ends where the knots are, you kind of need that end flexible...hopefully small grommets will do the trick...broke two more cords.

• 1 month later...

I put some 3mm metal grommets...problem solved...I had to file down the length of the grommet tube that passes through, so it would just crimp over top of the metal washer on the other side and not crimp past onto the fabric.