KiteLife Forum

8m soft octopus kite - Line weight and length? How to gauge?

Airbrush

Hi, I just got one of these 8m soft octopus kites.

Just wondering how do you gauge what line weight to use?

I bought some 200lb dacron line 500ft. The other reels I have only have 40lb line on it and I didn't think that would be strong enough for this one?
I think it recommended 150lb in a listing but not sure how accurate those listings are.

Thinking spooling 500ft on my reel is a bit much as well...anyone ever kept track how high you actually fly your single lines? Might split it off into a 300 and 200 reel.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Screen[5].jpg

When I was communicating with Ocean Shores Kites they recommend 150lb for the 26 foot octopus and said they usually flew theirs at 75-100'. I also ended up with a 500' spool of line, but only put half of it on a hoop winder. The kite is for my wife's amusement, but I'll end up being the one who has to pack it up and I didn't want to have to deal with but so much line 🤣

okay...200lb a little bit overkill, but won't hurt i guess other than the extra weight and drag.

will probably pick up a 100 or 120lb roll of line too, so i may use that on it instead and the 200lb if I get anything bigger.

Will try it on the 200 first and see. and yah i'll probably chop it into a 300' and 200' spool...500' seems like a lot and don't think i'll ever be flying anything that high. It barely fits on the reel I have for it.