KiteLife Forum

Help with mysterious kite plans!

Tess A-G

I'm looking for a kite project to make with my sister (she does sewing better than me, I do kites better than her, we can work together!). 

I've found the "libellule" - french for dragonfly, and I absolutely love it! Design here - https://www.kiteplans.org/planos/libellule/libellule.html
Plan attached below. 

But, with no previous kitemaking experience, I just can't figure it all out. I know how to make the tail. And that's it. 

Can anyone help? Has anyone seen, or even made, one of these? Or do any of you look at the plans and think "well, that's obvious." 

Grateful for any help.

Tess A-G

Libellule.jpg

That dragon kite is really easy to build and fly. It's got a spar across the horizontal attached to a pocket on the ends. Easy , just cut out a similar shape and attach the rod. Micro carbon or bamboo or whatever you can think of. Wood dowel,coat hanger wire, etc. The shape can be concave or convex. I'm sure you know from Dreaded Geometry. Better than Calculas based  Statistics. Beat of a course. If it doesn't fly concave switch it backwards. No real rules in kite making and designing, except HAVE FUN!

🤗

• Thanks 1

It's actually difficult to make them that small that fly great. One out of 3 fly good. Super thin bamboo spine and even thinner cross spar. Mostly use extra thin mylar. Try making a few. It's actually pretty easy. All mine have a 3 point bridle to adjust it to spin left and right. Have Fun.