KiteLife Forum

The SKQ Archives

skq-logo.png

With such a rich and deep tapestry of our history hidden away in personal collections

for so long, we here at Kitelife felt it to be of the utmost importance to make the pages

of SKQ available yet again in nearly original format... With the SKQ publisher's

consent, we are doing just that.

Began by Cris Batdorff, SKQ published it's first issue in the Summer of 1988...

Included were articles from places like Hawaii, New Jersey, Texas, San Francisco and

Chicago, as well as specific tip sections from renowned kite fliers and innovators from

such greats as Lee Sedgwick (above).

Each issue took our editor between four and eight hours to convert to searchable PDF

format, and are being released every other month (if not sooner) starting January 1st,

After a great deal of consideration, we also decided to include all advertisments as

well to illustrate the history and evolution of sport kiting with full accuracy.

The SKQ archives are absolutely free to view, are somewhat large at 12MB each or

so, and should be available on CD as an entire collection by year's end.

Check out what we have so far:

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?autoco...amp;showcat=113

• 2 weeks later...

Gees 1988 ? does't seem that long ago.

Just want to thank you for the effort you and your staff are putting in to bring this priceless pearls of history to us . As I'm going on 53 yr old I've been flying sport/stunt kites since the beginning of the "modern kite era"

The changes in lines,sail material and framing material over the years just boggles the mind ,sail and frame material light enough and strong enough to fly in 00 wind or up to 10 to 15mph in the same kite? unheard just afew years ago

Team Top of theLine ,,,, anyone remember their routine to Battle Hymn of the Republic?

Your bring back alot of memories

Thanks again

• 10 months later...

John,

Thanks so much for keeping these magazines alive! I have many of these issues in my collection. Each is a valued treasure. I remember many happy hours of discovery, pouring over each issue to learn the latest techniques. I also remember calling all the kite shops I could find on the east coast asking "what's a turtle?" I can't remember what publication it was, but there was also an article called "rising star" on you. I think I still have it. Anyway, as far as this sport has come in the last decade, those happy days working in a Florida Kite shop by day (reading SKQ) and flying on the beach by night seem a lifetime ago. Yet each time I fly I still feel connected to the sport's heritage. Its nice to know others do too.

Dave

Spring '93 American Kite Magazine... Page 53.

Fond memories indeed! :wacko:

I literally grew up in the sport, starting as a competitor at the age of 15, through a number of roles, up to now (age 29)... Kiting is truly my family, and it seems like the least I can do for all the years I've enjoyed. B)

Don't know if you caught the news, we'll also be publishing every issue of Kite Lines to the web starting sometime next month! 50 issues, 13 volumes, from 1977 to 2000. Simply amazing project.

Once we have both of these magazines settled in, we'll start looking at American Kite Magazine, Drachen, Kite Passion and others... Projects like these are very much thanks to our official Kitelife Subscribers and advertisers. :D

Projects like these are very much thanks to our official Kitelife Subscribers and advertisers. :wacko:

Yes! More Subscribers!!

Let's all pitch in and contribute! John's doing all the work, to bring us priceless history, available to be viewed by everyone. Support this heart filled endeavor by showing your support!

Let's see more Subscriber # tags on everyone's posts!

Theresa