KiteLife Forum

Finally going to do it...................I think.

JMPVW73

I'm 23 now and liked flying kites a lot as a kid. I used to have caluses on my index finger from guiding the line. The best kite I had was a single line nylon 50"span delta I bought from Toys'R'Us for $30. The wind around my house is turbulent so take off was tricky but once I was over the tree line I could keep it up for as long as I wanted. I had it out about 700' one day and the wind realy picked up. I could'nt get it to stall and the line snapped. It continued to fly a long way and I never found it.

About 12 years ago I saw a dual line kite competition on ESPN. That was the coolest thing I had ever seen at the time. Then ten years ago we took a family trip to San Fransisco and there was a kite shop at the Fishermans Worf where I got a Prism kites cataloge. I have since looked into buying a kite every year or two as the thought of flying one remains burned in my mind but the money always went elsewhere.

I was visiting family in St. Clairesville, OH this summer and went to Cabela's in Wheeling, WV. They had the Quantum and Nexus there but I didnt get one because my mom and here parents were with me and I didnt want to hear about it. My family has never supported any of my interests and I was in debt at the time(and still am). I was in Ohio again for Thanksgiving and my 2 brothers and I planed to go to Cabela's. I secretly planed to buy a kite while there but they both backed out on going so it did'nt happen.

Sorry for the long intro.

I'm sold on Prism kites so dont suggest a Beetle. I may be foolishly dazzled by the high res images and video on the web site but I think they have a great quality product. Years ago I wanted a Fanatic but they dont make it anymore. I cant seem to make up my mind now but I definately want to get the Freestlye Piolt DVD and I'm willing to buy two kites for starters, a Catalyst or Nexus and a Quantum or Hypnotist.

Any help is appreciated and I would love to get together with some local flyers, within an hour driving time from me.

I suggest the Beetle....Just kidding!! :P

Prism does make a fantastic product, you wont regret getting any of their kites. You mentioned that you would like to get the Freestyle Pilot DVD and a couple kites so I would suggest you look at the Hypnotist (aka. Mirage) and the E2 as one of your choices as both of those kits come with the DVD in the package! Both of those kites are fantastic fliers that trick very well, and will help you along with your learning. Both come Ready To Fly as well, so you dont need anything else to buy. For the ultimate in tricking then I would suggest the Quantum Pro. This kite has been a staple in the industry for quite a few years and you wont be dissapointed with it at all. The Quantum Pro doesnt include a lineset or straps but you could use the same lines as your E2 or Hypnotist. You could then add another lineset and straps at a later time. I dont know if you would benefit that much from having both the E2 and the Hypnotist as both of those kites are quite similar to each other in size and trick-ability. I think one or the other and then save up for the Quantum Pro would be the best kite assortment for you.

There, you have two Prism kites and the DVD.

Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome you are never to old to fly a kite.the E2 is great from what I hear. I have a prism nexus. I have been looking on e bay for my next kite .That may be the best way to go if you too are short on $$ and besides they deliver . good luck good winds :P

I have found a Quantum for $80 shipped, ten dollars less than retail. The DVD seperate is $30. Going on my personality I think I will like a fast and strong pulling kite but what is better to learn with?

The only other difference in specs is the Hypnotist is 10" wider.

I'm also going to pick up a 3D for light wind and a Jazz or Catalyst for getting my feet wet and a loaner to help infect others.

What are Dacron(come with Catalyst) lines and how do they compair to Spectra(Jazz)?

I'll probably go with the Jazz because it can break down to 25".

This is a very cheap hobby compaired to some of the other things I spend my money on. I dont know why its taken me so long to do this.

What are Dacron(come with Catalyst) lines and how do they compare to Spectra(Jazz)? You would probable like the spectra lines better . The Dacron is stretcher and subsequently the kite reacts slower this is good for a beginner. You may fined that you soon out grow the need for them. the spectra line provides a faster reaction time for your kite so you get crisper turns.It will stretch but not as much. Also as any line stretches you may periodically have to trim line off to keep the lines even :)

How much different is the Quantum from the Quantum Pro?

This is hearsay as I have not flown both.... however I frequently hear the only thing they share in similarites is the name which I tend to believe. The Quantum Pro is competiton ready kite with a much higher pricetag...

oh and your previous comment.... "this is a cheap hobby" DON'T BE FOOLED!!!! that's just to get you sucked in, soon you'll be unable to stop buying kites and you'll quickly change your tune :) ). I started getting an acrobatx saying only $70 bucks that's cheap... now a got an E2 $130, Beamer 1.8 $100, Flashlight $50 (used), over $100 in linesets, and looking to get a 5M HQ crossfire running about $400.... also I'm super interested in Rev's I really wanna get one and try that out that's like another $200+ and this is all just within about 3 months..... there are a TON of other kites i want to just cause I wanna try them the only thing that stops me is my wife and bank account, and I'm sure I'm on the lighter/mid end of the spectrum

This was sent to me in an email but I thought it might be usefull to others.

"I have no idea how experienced pilot you are, but the difference I see between the Quantum and the Mirage is the Quantum is a stronger kite but less responsive. You can still do many tricks with it. I sell more Quantum's than any other stunt kite. However, you will not out grow the Mirage very soon. It is capable of most all stunts. The frame is just a little lighter and would be easier to break. I have not broke one yet. I fly the Quantum Pro which is about a $300.00 kite. There is a difference in the kites when you get to that level."

I'm leaning toward the Mirage at this point.

I will be spending over $3000 on engine parts alone for a VW Beetle by the end of next year. Another $1000 on the transaxel. At least 2K on the rest of the car and all of that will get me a decent fast bug but I wont be spending any money on restoration.

All the prices you listed is about the same I will pay for a set of heads.

I have a 914 that needs at least 1K to get it on the road.

I have two Chryslers that I want to spend 1K each on, one got $2500 in parts last year. I have more cars but they are way down the list and I never know what I will stumble apon and not be able to pass up in the future.

I pay $300 a month just to store this stuff!

Kites are cheap.

I will be spending over $3000 on engine parts alone for a VW Beetle by the end of the year. Another $1000 on the transaxel. At least 2K on the rest of the car and all of that will get me a decent fast bug but I wont be spending any money on restoration.

All the prices you listed is about the same I will pay for a set of heads.

I have a 914 that needs at least 1K to get it on the road.

I have two Chryslers that I want to spend 1K each on, one got $2500 in parts last year. I have more cars but they are way down the list and I never know what I will stumble apon and not be able to pass up in the future.

I pay $300 a month just to store this stuff!

Kites are cheap.

fair enough...... i suppose cheap is a realative term....

I have a E2 and a 3D from www.skygizmo.com in the mail. They have free shipping on orders over $200. Mine came to $199.90 so I called him and he said "no problem I'll send the shipping money in your order because I cant change the checkout system".

I also have a Jazz from Hanson Racing LLC(hansondwh@msn.com <hansondwh@msn.com>) on the way to me now. He also has very good prices but doesnt keep much in stock.

I talked to the seller of the Jazz on the phone and he likes flying the Quantum a lot. Had I not already placed the order for the E2 I would have taken his advice and got the Quantum. I concidered getting it rather than the Jazz but the supplied lines are the same as the E2(85' x 150#). The Jazz(65' x 85#) gives me a set of lines to use on the E2 in lighter winds.

I do see the possibility of kites out numbering my cars before long and thats no small feat because I have 15 at the moment.

Hopefully I can hold off buying another for a full year. Man that R-Sky Nirvana is a good looking kite!