KiteLife Forum

flying in winter

sky fish

I've flown in rain and snow and use to leave the kites in the car in the winter... no problemo.

If you leave your kites in the cold car you may experience sleepless nights and jumping up ot look out the window 10 times. It's just easier to get up and go and get the kites, leave them inside by the door so you can take them with and you'll have good kiteflying dreams. lol

Or, go inside and fly in the winter it will make a better light wind flier out of you.

Seriously, don't put them away wet, they can mold. Whatever you do have a great time!

BB

Penny

Thanks every one I never leave my kites in the car unless Im taking them some were Car hart bibs are great for the cold stuff with electric sock's if its rilly cold below 20. I will make certain that they get dried out now Merry Christmas I am dreaming of new kite's- beach winds in summer Ah Isn't It lovely to dream

Winter gave us release knots.

What didn't seem so important in the summer became extremely important in the winter. Cold frozen hand's trying to loosen hard, cold swivels before we changed to loops larks headed on. Then it was cold frozen fingers trying to loosen tightly 1/2 frozen line or resorting to using our teeth to loosen them.

Adding release knots to the larks head meant one tug and your lines slid off. I'm tired... but I'm sure winter added more to my kiteflying.

BB

Penny

the snow can provide a soft landing not the I have to many troubles there any more will the fabric become brittle? the spares ? the wind has been good but I don't want to damage my kites.I can keep warm enough with my coveralls and gloves. :)

I fly all winter. The only problem I have is when flying with snow on the ground ice starts hanging off the kite. Especially if the temp is about 29 to 30. Pretty soon the kite gets weighed down and you get all sorts of funny things happening.

Winter flying flying is fun. Love the sight of the kite agains the stark white snow and the deep blue skys.

• 1 month later...

I fly all winter here in CO. I was out in 18 deg weather. The good news about flying a kite versus sking is with the kite your back is to the wind. I have never had snow or cold related damage. The only problem is when the temp is near freezing and ice builds up on every little thread hanging off your kite. This does not seem to hurt anything except that it changes the weighting on the kite. That might lead to a whole new set of tricks.

One thing I do is the WOS if the tips get stuck in snow. My field still has about 20 inch deep snow on it. I think you could ruin the sail if you pull too hard to recover.

One thing for sure is a kite sure looks pretty against a snowy background with the sun out.

Get some thin gloves too.

I also don't have to share the snowy field with soccer players. What wimps they are.