KiteLife Forum

weights?

sky fish

on dual line kites usually weights go on the bottom of the spine from some of the kites ive seen my quantom pro has a brass weight on the bottom i think it mostly has to do with changeing the ballence and pitch so pulling off tricks is eazier ive never tried tp put weights anywhere else weights are mainely good for slack line flying as well witch is where some of your tricks come from

on dual line kites usually weights go on the bottom of the spine from some of the kites ive seen my quantom pro has a brass weight on the bottom i think it mostly has to do with changeing the ballence and pitch so pulling off tricks is eazier ive never tried tp put weights anywhere else weights are mainely good for slack line flying as well witch is where some of your tricks come from

ant man I posted this up above in the dual line ? aria but I would appreciate a bit more info which tricks dose this help with?and when you say slack line flying are you speaking about controlled stales?

Hi Sky Fish.

My first question(s):

Do you want to put weight on your kites or are you just trying to understand what the weight's do?

I notice that your favorite kites are Detonator and Nexus... Are these the kites you're thinking about puting weight on?

IMO I don't think weight would do anything for the Detonator except maybe cause problems but I could be wrong.

Prism usually responds pretty well to weight but I have absolutely no experience with Nexus.

Weight can do different things to different kites...

Weight in the nose of a kite might cause it to go deeper in a turtle... that could help with lazy based tricks.

Weight in the tail can do different things in different kites but IMO it's primarily helpful in "wrapping" the kite up.

Some people increase the amount of weight on a kite in higher or lower winds (more weight to make kite heavier in high winds and vice versa)

I think when Ant Man was talking about slack line tricks he was refering more to Axel based, wrapping, etc.... I don't know if added weight would help a kite with a stall but it might I guess.

How you attach the weights depends on the kite. Some weights slip on the spine and you use some kind of "o" ring to keep them from sliding. You will also occasionally see weight's zip tied on to the spine. As well as weights being placed inside the spine.

Another common way to add weight to some of the Prism kites is to undo the velcro at the spine and slip a nickel behind the spine and then retension the velcro.

Hope this helps some.

i am new to freestyle too i did notice the weight on mu quantom pro is on the bottom a brass weight and i can do a couple of tricks i couldnt do with other kites so i thinking that the weight could be a good ballence for certiin tricks i soppose

miss Randal yes I am trying to understand what the weight's do? and for witch trick's you would use them for knowledge never hert's and asking all the fine people here questions is a great way to learn .Is there a book out on every thing you ever wanted to know about stunt kites If so I need to add it to my wish list My nexus dose have o rings along it's spine so I imagine it would be possible to put some thing there .I hope to soon be getting some other kites. If I fly with bells tied to my kite do you think Santa will here me :)

I suggest you do a search through the Kitelife archives. I remember seeing a very useful article in one of the issues that described weights in full detail. Very useful information and I think it will answer nearly all of your questions. I can't remember the issue at the moment, maybe John can post a quick link to it for us.

I did some more checking and I found the Article....Issue 44 Kitelife Magazine.

I suggest you do a search through the Kitelife archives. I remember seeing a very useful article in one of the issues that described weights in full detail. Very useful information and I think it will answer nearly all of your questions. I can't remember the issue at the moment, maybe John can post a quick link to it for us.

Here's the link to Matt's article:

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/issue44/weights44/index.htm

Kites pictured are the Quantum Pro, John's Sea Devil, Lance's Genesis, and lastly, I believe that may be Lance's Nirvana SUL with weight on the spine.

Here's the link to Matt's article:

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/issue44/weights44/index.htm

Kites pictured are the Quantum Pro, John's Sea Devil, Lance's Genesis, and lastly, I believe that may be Lance's Nirvana SUL with weight on the spine.

Thank you every one may you all have a wonder full new year

• 1 month later...

I found a nice way to play with weights and learn what they will do to your kite. A quarter is about 5 grams. You take a 1, 2, 3, or 4 quarters depending on the weight you want and duct tape them together. Then take a double sided velcro and tape that to taped coins so that their is a loop side up on one side of the coin package. Then you can wrap the velcro around the spine maybe with two turns for friction and put the coins such that the loop side you taped to the coins is facing up and hook the velcro to that. You can put this anywhere along the spine.

I put a 5, 10, 15, and 20gr packages together so I can test different weight combos.

The nice thing is there is no disassembly needed and you can change weight configurations quickly. After you find out what works then you can put more permanent weight sets on.

• 5 weeks later...

After going to the weights link a couple of weeks ago I put some weight on the tail of my kite, went out and did my first Flick Flack.

within in an hour I had a Flick Flack and Fade machine. Well, I was out today flying, did some Flick Flacks and tried some other stuff for about an hour. Then I decided to take the weight off to see if I could still do a Flick Flack without any weight. To my suprise the weight had fallen off. I guess the extra weight helped me to get the basic feel of the kite when it's doing the trick right.

• 5 months later...