KiteLife Forum

Wanna axel a Rev?

John Barresi

Well I axled my Revs for the first time today, I was even able to double axle my Shockwave, so much fun. I learned this by watching videos of FlyForm fly at the Milton Indoor kite festival, over and over and over. Thanks yall

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Amateur sport question: can you axel a Zen?  On the same line of thought, can you flic-flac a Zen?  I can barely do  both those with my Rev B and Phoenix, but didn't have much success with the Zen today.  Part of the issue could be highly erratic and low winds which is why the Zen was out.  This was on 30' lines if that matters.  Thanks in advance!

large_ze..jpg.a0523e8ed5f9a13eace1b806a2

axel a Zen is the act of stepping forward AS you do the hand technique,.... so much slack you can walk into it, not just catching a shirt button or wrist watch, walk towards the kite at the edge of the window, then practice closer to the center as you gain experience.

you are after a slow rotation, which changes lanes during the transition, timing it with a sundial!

Flick flak (I use a French Bridle and sissy sticks, Flying Smiles Kites), insure you have "sufficient down"/reverse tuned into your set-up,

snap your thumbs together, ~ evenly ~ towards the kite, it will flip inside out (this is a violent action as the kite's 3 feet tall), wait a second and step backwards away from the kite, it will return to upright without any further action required by the pilot. This is done directly downwind and your hand actions must be equal and centered.

If you can do a flick-flak you are only "steps away" away from the Falling Leaf.  Now when you flick, you'll step violently towards the kite also, not just the hand action alone, No, a total body commitment.  There's huge slack in there now, you must wait until the last possible second as the kite falls towards the ground (the string is over the LE) and then step-backwards aggressively to unwrap and remove the acres of slack you placed in moments ago. Snapping the kite back to upright, powered up again flight possible.

If you can half axel (stop the kite flat, leading edge facing you, bridle below the kite) you're set-up to do a clam-shell roll-up.  Do the 1/2 axel low to the ground, at half way around snap those thumbs violently at the kite and flick it over, it's four beats of music if you are ready to demo.

The Zen can do anything and everything other Quads can do, just slower, more gracefully, actually it's the easiest size to teach lessons on, it's responsive feeling down the strings which folks immediately connect to......

I am working out my fourth Zen, it's a personal favorite kite of mine.  Still available too, if you want to chase Bazzer and Shook to make it happen.  Ask for something unreasonable,... HA! you won't be the first one to do so.

Mylar-backed SUL leading edge sleeve made of nylon, built tighter to the tubes too, magic sticks, French bridle, hybrid framing, covers sewn over the elastic knots, additional reinforcing patches

zen#3.jpg

I forgot to address line lengths, the Zen is a big kite, it needs time to do it's thing, I use 60 feet or 100 feet of 50pound Skybond on long throw handles.  30 feet is an indoor length and not recommended at all on this sized format

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

I forgot to address line lengths, the Zen is a big kite, it needs time to do it's thing, I use 60 feet or 100 feet of 50pound Skybond on long throw handles.  30 feet is an indoor length and not recommended at all on this sized format

Thanks for ALL that technical experience - I will try all of that!! I just got the 30' lines to try to overcome my frustration with low, variable and swirling wind days of which we have a lot. I am trying to fly outdoors a little like indoors on these days, and I might go so far as to acquire some type of SUL quad. I worry about that though because even with the Zen, the wind will go from nil to enough to really fill the sail which might break a SUL. I don't have 60' lines but do have 80', but I need wind. Next time I am taking my son's Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter to record the wind every minute or so to just know what is really out there - or not. Thanks again!

Catches on 120 feet, that's the Zen.  

Release the handles entirely from an inverted hover at the top of the window and it goes 300% of the height away from you (all by itself!)

You keep working that darn thing,... see my pix in the lefthand corner?  That's a Zen baby