KiteLife Forum

kite to start with

oded

Helo friends

im new in kite flying and i wanted to ask which kite (type of kite and recomended materials of kite) should i start with

i want kite that will be strong enogh to survive crashes

half a year ago i bought one here in israel ( it cost me about 10$) it didnt fly so well and after it "got familier" with the ground few times..(one time the kite even got familier with the roots of the garss in the field) it was ruind

i dont have a kite store near me ( i boght my kite at some toys store) and im considering buy one from online store

if you have recomandations i will be glad to read them

(sorry if i have some spelling mistakes.. english is not my first language)

thanks

:-)

oded

Hi Oded,

I can certainly vouch for any of the kite stores you see advertised in the pages of Kitelife Magazine, although there a couple of those kite store owners who also use this forum... They're likely to say hello, and will take good care of you.

To help people answer your questions, perhaps you can answer...

1. What is your budget for a kite?

2. Is there something you are looking for, besides durability?

Some kites are especially durable, some are better for tricks or precision, some are better for light or high winds, etc. ;)

Another consideration, with your location, is replacement parts... Both delivery and cost.

prism and new tech make great starter kites our local store has them the nexus is a great begginer kite its small and very eazy to steer click on the lighten up icon under my name we have a bunch of kites to choose from the owner is a good friend and fellow flier of mine if you do talk to shem or todd tell them anthony sent ya ;)

jhon and ant man i want to thnk you for replying me.

besides durability i want a kite that i'll be able to learn the basics with quicly.

the wind range in my area most of the year is low-moderate wind

my buget is about 40-55 dollars

thank again,

oded

Well, for less than $60, your selections could include the Beetle or the SR2 by Premier Kites, the Addiction by Flying Wings, the Jazz, Micron or Nexus by Prism Kites, the Oxygen by L'Atelier or a Trlby by Trlby Kites.

Since you're starting out, I would NOT suggest the Micron, as they are very fast and sensitive little kites. Any of the others would be a good kite to have. :ike_sp_h4h:

Well, for less than $60, your selections could include the Beetle or the SR2 by Premier Kites, the Addiction by Flying Wings, the Jazz, Micron or Nexus by Prism Kites, the Oxygen by L'Atelier or a Trlby by Trlby Kites.

Since you're starting out, I would NOT suggest the Micron, as they are very fast and sensitive little kites. Any of the others would be a good kite to have. :ike_sp_h4h:

Forgive me here if im wrong, but couldnt the same be said about the Beetle as well?

Forgive me here if im wrong, but couldnt the same be said about the Beetle as well?

No, I wouldn't say so. In fact, by changing the rods on a Beetle to .156 tubes, the Beetle becomes a very capable trick kite, and it is still never as sensitive as a Micron. Make those changes to a Micron and it's still fast and sensitive, just a little heavier.

I have given Beetles away to new flyers, after teaching them some basics with their new Beetle, and that's something I would never attempt with a Micron. It's too hard to teach someone when they're frustrated. :ike_sp_h4h:

Looks like I was very much mistaken, sorry. Ive heard the beetles are fast and fun. Never heard anything about them being trickable, and with a wingspan appx the same as the Detonator (which I have, and it isnt a very trickable kite at all), I wasnt expecting it to be. Im glad to know it is after all :ike_sp_h4h:

Sorry about that Dorsal

I was surprised at the capability also when I tried it. Here's an old discussion thread on GWTW that led me to swapping the rods out. I don't even own any Beetles now, I either sold them or gave them to my grandchildren.

Anyway, this is kinda off topic. After all, someone learning to drive a car isn't really interested to learn how some nut turned a VW into a Porsche, are they. :ike_sp_h4h: