John Barresi

What is your favorite line?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Choose below

• LaserPro Gold
    • Berry Blue Line
    • Shanti
    • Climax

I tend to prefer LaserPro, as it's been very durable and smooth for me... I've broken a lot of Blue Line in my time.

Also, I've liked Shanti at times due to it's softness, whereas LaserPro does tend to be quite stiff when it's new.

I haven't flown on a lot of the premium Climax, but I've heard good things about it.

While I fly mainly Shanti recently I have really been all about Berry Blue. It is something about how lightweight the lines are. My 120 BB float through the sky and respond very fast.

John, I am curious. Was the BB that you broke the same pound test and wind conditions as the LPG that did not fail?

I've had extensive experience with both LaserPro and Berry Blue since 1997, in a multitude of comparable conditions.

Aside from the blue mess they tend to leave on my gear, I've most often broken Berry Blues flying team.

Get any binding or crossing in them, and they've been quick to snap.

I use mostly Blue Line, but the reason is that I buy from a local kite shop and that's what they carry other than Shanti. Blue line seems to not stretch much, and I've not had any trouble with breaking. But Ben from Rev uses Laser Pro Gold (if my memory serves me right), and he's very pleased with it. But again, my local store doesn't carry it.

Later, Doug

We use both Laser Pro and Shanti. The wax coating on the Laser Pro is what causes most of the stiffness in the line and after a while it does wear off, for power kiting the wax doesn't seem to matter at all but it can be very bothersome for dual line especially light wind slack line stuff. The Laser Pro seems to drag and hang on itself a little bit more (when it is brand new) than the Shanti.....which is the reason I prefer the Shanti line for all of my dual line flying. The line is light and very slippery and gives a good solid feel even after a bunch of twists. The new "Warp Speed" line from Shanti seems to be very high quality line and in my opinion I can't tell much of a difference at all between the Shanti and the Laser Pro on line under 250#.

Personally I will use either Shanti or Laser Pro as I feel they are both the best lines on the market. Nice thing about Shanti is that they will make any lineset length and weight you want whereas Laser Pro no longer building pre-made linesets.

Personal preference is for Laser Pro it seems to wear better the Shanti (although its a near thing). I have taken to using some of the spectra fishing lines (makes for very cheap line sets) and they seam to have reasonable wear and take a reasonable number of wraps before binding. The downside is that they are very stiff initially and you need to perservere for a while to wear them in.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I've been away from a kite shop too long!

I still have a spool of 120lb and 200lb Kevlar! (When Spectra came out, I used the kevlar to keep from get crowded out)

I've been flying on Shanti spectra circa 1997 (Last time I purchased line) mostly.

BTW...Hey John,

Is there any way you can change my status? I may not have a lot of posts but I've been flying longer than you! And "Newbie" just doesn't fit.

Alright Mr. "Elite"... Better start posting more, eh?

Well, aside from posting a bunch more, the easiest way to change from "newbie" is to subscribe to Kitelife... See Bugly's post, just before yours. ;)

http://www.kitelifers.com

For those not in the know, if I remember right, Hyper Kiter was part of the "Team Elite" group... A stable of fliers, flying in a couple of different teams for the Hyperkites manufacturer (Randy Tom) in the mid-80s and very early 90s at the beginning of sport kiting's hey day... A fine era. :)

My first year in sport kiting was 1990.