KiteLife Forum

Wingspan measured with kite assembled or flat?

glider

I recently purchased a large stunt kite. When it arrived, I assembled it immediatley. :) The wingspan of the assembled kite is 2' shorter than advertised. The manufacturer said he was advertising the unassembled, flat, span. ;)

So, I assembled six of my other stunt kites to check the assembled wingspan against the advertised spans. They all matched. Apparently none of the four manufacturer's I checked use the unassembled, flat span in their advertising. I have seen flat spans used in describing foil kites but never for framed stunt kites.

Is there any confusion in the industry about whether the advertised wingspan of a stunt kite should be the assembled wingspan instead of the unassembled span?

Wingspan should be based on the assembled dimensions, never seen "flat" dimensions used in advertising.

Was this a retailer, manufacturer or a cottage kite maker?

Well I don't know the size or structure of the business but this appears to be the manufacturer or perhaps the manufacturer's sole rep who sells a large kite on ebay. I'm still working out a resolution to my deal. As soon as I do, I'll provide details. People have a right to know that they will not receive what is advertised. Other suppliers of large stunt kites, in direct competition, should know as well.