KiteLife Forum

kestral 2000 wind meter

ant man

whats up gang i got my new kestral 2000 windmeter in the mail today and it works great it tells the gust speeds if there is any win speeds and max speeds it also tells you if the weather is subject to change with a alert system that tells you if a storm is comeing its also back lit too so i can use it night flying too skyvlad this is what i was telling you about in the kite chat room i also forgot to add that it has a 2 year warenty all for $80 from weather essentals.com

post-812-1171317596_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool Ant... more accurate than licking my finger and holding it up.

As for weather changes, my knees hurt when the weather changes.

Course the weather always changes so my knees always hurt.

Maybe if I got in the 21st century and bought a meter like yours my knees would quit

hurting... let the machine do the forecasting. ;)

That one looks good, though for about the same price, I still have my eye on this one http://www.windmeter.net/index.html. The only thing missing from this one is it doesnt have a backlight display. Its a tough call as both the one you got and the one im eyeballing are both good meters for the price.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

ETA: Actually, I may get this one that I just found http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=894095 I figure for only $20, I cant beat that price (site has the cheapest price - even a better price than the one on ebay) It measures windspead, temp, and wind chill factor and is backlit. The only thing I see that it doesnt have is a min, max, and avg reading (at least not that I can tell so far). But again, at that price, I dont think I can complain that much about those little things.

Unfortunatly, I cant afford a good $80+ windmeter at the moment. Instead of the Caldwell Wind Wizard windmeter, I was pointed to the LaCrosse wind meter for just a little bit more. http://www.lacrosse-psmall.com/lp-la-crosse-ea-3010nl.html

Im a thrifty fellow (When possible) and always look for the best bang for the buck. So deciding between those to windmeters was a tough decision. Basically what it came down to was that the Caldwell was only sold at one place and theres not much reviews for it. And of what there was, many of them complained about the lack of instructions and a few complained about it going through batterys and not reading the wind too well.

The LaCrosse is sold though several places as well as intothewind. The reviews seemed to be better and the construction looks less fragile than the Caldwell. The Caldwell wind meter may be a good one for all I know, but I felt like I would be playing a lottery game with it if I were to get a good one or not and id rather not take those chances.

Hopefully the LaCrosse one will be as good as I hope/expect.

Tried and true... the case usually is you get what you pay for!

:wub::)

Very true. I dont deny that at all. The thing is im between jobs right now, and cant afford an $80+ wind meter. Often times (though not as often as we'd like) there are products that are just as good as thier more expensive counterparts if you know what to look for.

I know im paying a budget price for a budget product. But that does not change the fact that it perform at least as good as the Kestral. I believe I have done as much research as possible on this product with the exception of trying it out hands on (no place around here carry's any windmeters at all).

And also on the plus side, is that if it is a junk product, im only out $30. If its as good as im trusting it to be, then my research and intuition paied off.

There can be worse things I can spend $30 on.

Yeah, 30 bucks isn't bad.

Is there maintenance involved with wind meters? For instance if you use it in a sandy place when do you need to clean it? Because if the fan can't spin accurately then it can't measure the wind accurately?

Im sure there is some minor maintenance, such as you more less said. Like using it at a beach or desert. But I believe its just very basic. I know on some of them you can replace the fan's. For the most part though, it shouldnt take much more than a dusting after every use (for said locations) and oiling the bearings (if possible).

Antman can tell you better on that at the time being. And I will be able to give my take on maintenance once mine arrives as I live in the Arizona desert.

Antman, does the instructions for yours entail what kind of maintenance is needed/nessescary?

well with mine there is a hard case to put it in so if i use it on the beach i try to keep it away from the sand so it doesnt get in the prop but if it does the prop comes out and you can rinse it in the sink as the manual tells it but mine also has a 2 year warrenty so hey if it breaks i send it back for another 1 but so far so good i love the whizzing sound it makes when a high wind goes therugh the propeller