KiteLife Forum

what to do about

sky fish

I don't know if this is a common problem .Every where or the people here just don't know any better. I try very hard to not be flying around people but in veritably some one will walk through and some times hang out in the flight space .Some times I end up quiting a very enjoyable flight because of this type of thing.I don't crash kite 's any more .but I know that it still could happen do I need to get orange warning cone's ?any thoughts on how to handle the clue less .Now that spring is here I have to deal with the soccer fiends and they think they own the park ;)

Buzz them a few times, they may wise up and leave.

Explain the danger of being in the flight path to them, they may in turn ask to try flying and you help grow the hobby.

I've never had that problem, people tend to stay out of my window.

This kind of problem is very touchy... There are more of them then there are of you, and since there is more of a precedent for soccer at these types of fields, you want to avoid a situation where they'd make a motion for kite flying to be restricted in any way.

Buzzing them is not the solution, unless it's just a "hey, here I am, heads up" kind of thing.

The last thing we need is another park banning kite flying, it's happened before.

If there's a good part of the park you can stage in and out of (take off & land), then move a bit for actual flying, that might be an idea.

Hey SF...

I have the same problem no matter where I fly here. I fly mostly at the beach, and since I am there all year round, the space is mine, right ? I actually fly on an out of the way spot at the beach and the IDIOTS still walk out of thier way to get into my flight area. Or parents that let their little monsters chase and play (attempt to catch ?) under my kite. There isnt much space per person here in NY, so I guess we all have to get along. I usually just land and wait for the morons to move along, all the while giving them a harsh stare. If they are the real stupid kind, I'll have to ask them to stand behind me if they want to watch.

It is amazing the low levels of common sense and common courtesy that's out there. I guess it's just another TEST of your patience.

~Rob.

When the average person thinks of a kite, it a single line thing way up in the sky. You can sit underneath where the kite is flying and you're fine.

Most people on the beach are looking for a nice spot in the sun, they haven't seen sport kites before and don't know to look around for a 2 or 4 line demon that might take their head off. They are focussed on looking for a 6' x 3' space for their towel, they aren't accustomed to looking for kite fliers who are taking up 10 to 15 times that space.

They have no idea what you are doing. Not because they are idiots. Not because they are morons. They just haven't seen it before.

At the end of the day, you've still got to be the "bigger person"... If you hold them in disdain or confront them aggressively, it not only lessens your enjoyment even further, but increases the likelihood of creating a stand off or problem with the locals, thereby endangering kiting in your area.

I always find there are other places to fly, or other ways to work with the space I have.

It's just "one of those things". ;)

John

I think your idea of inviting them to give it a try is a good one. At the very least they will get some idea of what is happening in that space and that it might not be a good idea for them to try to place themselves there. At the best, you just might get someone started in this fun hobby of ours. Maybe, someone to fly quads with. ;)

Jim

Hello All,

First, let me say that I never confront them aggrressively. I land on the edge and wait for them to pass. There is plenty of beach where I fly to walk around. It's not like I fly on the public beach where the bathers are. I fly about a mile away from there. Fully out of the way of anything. And I am the first one to offer the handles to an interested passer-by. That being said...

You guys don't understand about morons & idiots. I live on an Island that has 3 million people, 3/4 of them are morons/idiots. Ever been to Long Island/ New York city ? Then you know what I mean. If you had to deal with these people every day for the last 30+ years, you might have a different opinion.

Kite flying is a way that I get away from the hell that I live in. When the hell comes to mess with this one little thing that I have that keeps me sane, I get a little aggitated. That's all.

~Rob.

at my local rec center where i fly i always call the rec directior first to see if the field is free years ago i was flying there and thats what they told me to do you must show respect at the fields you fly at for the reason that they are put there for sports reasons it sucks but that is the way it is i do feel that as a local tax payer of my area that i have rights to the field but i to respect the right for all to use it so my advise is to get the phone number to the local area and find out when you can use the fields for flying i hope this helps ;)

I would not mined letting some one have the handle's for a try at flying The park I use the most is right across the street .very handy it is a public park and I do try to stay out of the way and I am as local to this park as it gets.I would not mined so much if it was the locale kids using the base ball diamond or playing soccor. then I can move and share the park .the the soc or fiends. I referred to are adults that monopolies the entire field .they don't reserve it for there night after night games .so it is not like I can get a fined out when it will be free .any way thanks folk's for letting me know this is a common problem for some of us. ;)

I use orange stakes and stake off a few corners. Most people are courteous enough to stay outside of the stakes, but you are always going to have that wise guy who thinks he owns the park, and rightfully he owns it just as much as you do. Pedestrians always have the right of way. If you dont like it, purchase land ;)

But on a more serious note here, I totally agree with John, you have to be the bigger person.

We fly at a park in Costa Mesa, CA. It is under the control of the city. The city found over the years that field sports tended to tear up the grass, especially if cleats are used. Some years ago several kite flyers in the area asked the city council to designate a portion of the park for kite flying. They did just that. However, they did not post it as such. What they did was put up signs in two languages that use of the field by groups of ten or more requires a permit. It is still abused on occasion, but for the most part there is compliance.

Jim

When my park is crowded I go to short lines and find a niche. There is always a niche somewhere. If I see someone approaching where I am, I fly the wind window and try to show where the kite can go. Most people understand and stay out of the window. If they come into the window I land and wait. If it is little kids I ask them to help me by standing behind the kite by several feet and to blow to make wind for me. That has lasted a record of 2 min 34.6 seconds before boredom sets in. Then they are off chasing butterflies or something.

My feeling is we are there to entertain people. That is the fun of flying something beautiful in the sky.

Just got home from flying at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. Lynn and I had been flying our quads together for a few minutes when a family with three small children walked onto the field and stopped right in the right side of our window, about half way between us and our kites. The children started running all around the field. They had a "Nemo" single line kite. You know the ones that will cut a sport line like a hot knife through butter? Young Alex Herzon was flying just to our left. We landed and I asked if they intended to fly their kite there, if so we would move on down the field. They figured out in a hurry that they may not want to be there. They moved down some and Lynn and I continued to play "Grab Ass" in the sky. The family flew "Nemo" for a little while, then spent nearly an hour watching our two matching patriotic Revs flying up, down and around each other, painting the sky with red, white and blue.

For other kite flyers, education may be the answer. For ball players, other methods may be in order.

Had a great fly, Jim

• 1 month later...

I leave near the belgium coast, where we have dedicated KITE/SURF beaches, but still pedestrians are careless walking in and out flight zone. I mostly try to land the kite ASAP since my flying skill is not that great :kid_devlish: and I dont want to risk a unlucky crash landing. I had a realy bad experience with a dog once, he just went for my kite over and over and the owner thought it was fun ;) But still mostly people tend to go around in a litle circle, or stop and watch a while. (not that I'm able to demostrate any of the sweet stuff).

It seems that a lot of people are not aware of the dangers of being in the flight path of a kite, guess they assume that all the flyers have total control and can handle any situation.

As always if there is a conflict I try to resolve it by, landing the kite, and talk.

Happy Flying,

OutSync

• 2 weeks later...

Just a up date on this item. last year there were no kite flyer's at this park .But I seam to have started some thing :w00t: more kids and parents have been flying . alas no other stunt kites but a nice assortment of dragons and mermaids even a box kite and a little para foil. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I try to find a few spots in my area, learn the routines in each area, to avoid people. I can get an hour and a half or two in after work before the little leaugers show up, Of course I start work early, so I get off earlier. On the weekends, now that their season is in, I have a few parks and an unused night time baseball field. On top of a hill too. Sweet. I even went to google earth, for an ariel view of the area. I notice at the beach though, people do not have a clue. I wish we could get the schools to educate people about these amazing materials we use, spectra, that it is stronger than steel, and can cut like a knife. Never saw it happen, and never want to. But these people really have no idea. Best bet is to land, smile, acknowledging that you notice they are there, in the area you were flying in, and then maybe they realize there is a reason you are not flying, they usually get the idea. Pays to be polite and friendly, easier said than done sometimes, but we have to remember, we represent all kiters to people who never met any, so for the benifit of our sport, if they do not get the idea, offer them a chance, and explain not to hit anyone, not even with the line. I found helping others with kites, is not as much fun as flying kites, but it is a rewarding feeling.

funny that i just saw this today.. I was actually thinking of getting my son a t shirt that says...

** Caution Pilot in training***

he is just learning how to fly ... now I am thinking I may get myself one too lmao..might make people a bit more careful.. you know you always swing wide when you see that student driver sign on the top of the cars... come on.. admittttttttttt it.. lol

Careless pedestrians is alwayse a BIG problem, especially at kite festivals when you don't have your own field. At WSIKF last year my duel line's string was snapped right in half by some kid with a little single liner. Even worse, the kite then floated into iQuad's flying field :P (You may remember John B.). I am just happy that at all the parks in my area, there is at least a small spot for other recreational things. That is where I fly. When these clueless passer-byers invade your area, the solution is not to run the kite into them. You should be kind and solve your problems with nice cheap words.

• 2 weeks later...

Being right is one thing but being righteous is another. I was flying in the soccer field when a boy came up to me and said there's gonna be a soccer game here in half an hour. I said ok and that I would leave. I landed immediately and as I was taking in my flying line a half a dozen adults appeared and started installing their chairs and stuff around my kite. A couple of the men were questioning what my kite was as if it was some kind of garbage. I was approaching slowly as I was winding my line. One of them said to me "what are we doing here?". The man was actually red in the face and was displaying an aggressive body posture. I said "we are leaving ,sir". He just turned and stomped off.

On another note the soccer crowd damage the field. At the goal posts the grass is all gone and there is just a mud pit there with standing water which is good for mosquitoes to breed. Right is one thing, righteous is another.

I'm in Canada and I'm facing the same problems. I refuse to get righteous. So I'll just keep trying to be right. Happy flying

tihe big problem we have here is line walkers the people that see the kites but walk therugh the lines when its on the ground .. and when you tell them nicely to watch the lines .. the looks you get are unreal but hey i guess is the perks of the sport :kid_devlish:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I know I sounded a little harsh about the people I have to share the beach with. After reading about Antman's recent experience, it might make it easier to see where I was coming from.

I also tried something that worked better than expectected... I put up a couple of single line kites on either side of where I was flying, and anchored them down. It seemed to make people more aware and respectful of the area in between. I worked for me, if you have the time to do a little extra set-up.

~Rob.