KiteLife Forum

My Rev in Kitelife

Sidsol

For the LE I just hot cut holes.

It works, but not as well as having an all mesh LE. Rev gets their screen custom made just for them and the window screen I can buy here at the hardware store isn't as good as the stuff they use. The store bought screen is too heavy and stiff, so I tried just putting holes in my kite. As I said, it works, but it's best in light winds as it gets twitchier when the wind picks up.

I've flown a lot of homemade quads made by different people, and I've never had one that flies as well as the real deal. It was fun to play with the design (it's inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's stained glass designs) but it actually doesn't get out of the bag very much.

Well, there is a Me Too!

http://kitelife.com/archives/issue53/kitep...chilese_033.jpg

This kite was built in collaboration with Jim Hadzicki at Revolution, way back in 1996.

My idea was to produce an SUL for indoor using Icarex polyester. To that date all Revolution kites had been made from nylon. I sent the white Icarex, pre-cut to Revolution and they experimented placing their logo on the material. As I understood it, the first three pieces stuck to the machine as they tried to get the heat correct. The fourth sample looked good and the last, being a one piece sail was excellent. Jim sent these back to me in Germany where I then started sewing the REV. You will notice that there is no bridle and the screening is white. I found somewhere some very light but tough for light wind screening in the leading edge. The appliqué work was all done my me, using drawings from, I presume you can guess who.

Revolution shifted from nylon to polyester sails a year or two later.

Well, there is a Me Too!

http://kitelife.com/archives/issue53/kitep...chilese_033.jpg

This kite was built in collaboration with Jim Hadzicki at Revolution, way back in 1996.

My idea was to produce an SUL for indoor using Icarex polyester. To that date all Revolution kites had been made from nylon. I sent the white Icarex, pre-cut to Revolution and they experimented placing their logo on the material. As I understood it, the first three pieces stuck to the machine as they tried to get the heat correct. The fourth sample looked good and the last, being a one piece sail was excellent. Jim sent these back to me in Germany where I then started sewing the REV. You will notice that there is no bridle and the screening is white. I found somewhere some very light but tough for light wind screening in the leading edge. The appliqué work was all done my me, using drawings from, I presume you can guess who.

Revolution shifted from nylon to polyester sails a year or two later.

The sail was made of Icarex P31 of the 1996 era. The leading edge was not dacron but Icarex P38 with a mylar backing. This was quite a bit lighter then any dacron available then and probably still today. The unfortunate side of this is that this Icarex Mylar is apparently not made anymore.

Hey Sid,

Jason here. I'm the guy who showed you a bit about flying fighters, and let you play with my green homemade fighter for a while. I tried your B-Series for a minute, but there were too many differences in the setup for me to really get a feel for it (longer lines, shorter handles, that sort of thing).

Cool that your kite made it into Kitelife! Did you take the photo? Do you know where more are from Zilker?

Jason

On the phot it has who took it ..think it was John's roomate. I haven't found many Zilker photos out there to be honest. I saw one and I do not remember the site ..I think it was a personal site.

Anyways it was great meeting you and look forward to meeting you again.I have a couple of heavy lifters now I play with now. hehehe..Still no Fighter kite probably because fighter kites kill me.