KiteLife Forum

Morro Bay's 1st Annual Kite Festival

Penny Lingenfelter

While some flyers were at White Rock, Canada, some at Bend, OR, I was with the California flyers for Morro Bay's first Annual Kite Festival. Wow, I took my long johns off for the first time. (ok to much info)

It's that California weather. Saturday was beautiful with just enough wind to get the big kites up. Teddy Bear, Guitar, UFO, gecko, lobsters, catapillars, parafoils, genkis, 252's and more. They do know how to party in the sky. We had Paul Warner, from Canada, Gordon Anderson, Eric Froming and between them and Brian Champie they painted the sky's.

We had Airzone kite team from the Bay area. Ron D. and Sharon, Alex our 9th grader who does a wonderful Willy Wonka routine in costume. The city was fantastic and did a great job putting it together with vendors, sound and everything necessary to make a perfect kite festival. Kids kite making and free delta kites were given out too.

The kewlest thing of all was the kite parade. People here have tried to have 2 parades and they were rained out, so they wanted to throw a parade. Of course being the crazy kiteflier I am, I wanted to be in it. The rest wanted to be busy on the beach)

The powers that be told me to join the kite walker group. It was a group of volunteers walking and carrying kites from Bay Front Kites Ron and I walked back to pick up my gear, since we were one of the first in the parade. Wow! It wasn't just a parade w/kite walkers, it was a KITE parade. Every float, every person, animals, everything had kites on them!! Different colors and shapes. It was great. Best parade I've ever seen besides on the TV. Kites and more KITES!

The crowds were great. It had to be more then they expected to come. They sold everything but a couple sweat shirts right away.

I flew my cat in the hat routine for the first time outside. There were just about a dozen kids in my skit. The crowd was solid when I looked up. I had high school girls to little kids in costume. Definitely the best Thing 1 and 2 that I've had yet. They practiced causing havoc and belly crashing. Jim S. took some good pictures and will send me a link. There were a few kiteflyers that let me know they would like to be a part of it when we do it again. :kid_devlish:

The feed back was wonderful on my Rev lesson. It would have to be with Ron, Susan and Allen demonstrating for me while I talk. lol Some people have to smile when they see these world class fliers giving a beginning kite lesson. The audience let me know they really liked it.

There was some time on Sunday for lessons and even some free fly time. Perfect....

The city loved the event and can't wait to do it bigger and better next year. Just seems like it would be hard to beat.

Ahh, I do like CA weather. Next month I'll be back to play in San Ramon and there will be a new festival in Santa Cruz in September. ;) Life is good.

Now the grandkids are at my house for a week, so I'll miss the new Portland Comp. Everyone that goes should do their best to have enough fun for me. Oh, and compete and get your credentials. We are going to need more flyers for invitations to events. Seriously, we're going to get more events then we have good flyers. If it's your dream get out there and fly!

BB

Penny

Glad to hear things went well in California. We missed you here in Bend however, I think you are correct in the fact there are so many venues these days. We had a great time here as well, maybe we can coordinate the fest dates and have circuit... .lol ok so I am dreaming now. hugssssssssssss

Great job Penny.......sounds like you had a lot of fun. Isn't it nice that we have all these options when it comes to festivals!!! Who said kite flying is a thing of the past? As long as there are people like you with the passion and the love that keep bringing people into it with your creative ways...the sky is the limit.....(pun intended).

Take care,

Patrick

Here is a picture of the Moro Bay Cat cast. They did excellent! Sam I am mouthed words the announcer said without really knowing what he would say. They were great sports. Here is a link to some of Jim's pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ozonejim

The Rock at Morro Bay is actually the top of one of the 7 Sisters volcanos. 250 species of birds. We had a beautiful view of the Marina and Rock from our hotel room.

Now remember, don't laugh or I could make you a part of my skit!

Brian says the photo's tell it all. Yes, and the smiles in this picture tell it all!

BB

Penny

post-61-1178115630_thumb.jpg

Mia would Love that.......although she's more into the Princess thing right now than "Cat in the Hat"......but I'm working on it. I'm going to try and teach her how to fly a kite by herself soon.

Have you ever seen anyone make a mini Rev for kids.......I don't know.....maybe out of some really lightweight material and scaled down to size? I was thinking about it the other day and how much fun it could be.

P

Mia would Love that.......although she's more into the Princess thing right now than "Cat in the Hat"......but I'm working on it. I'm going to try and teach her how to fly a kite by herself soon.

Have you ever seen anyone make a mini Rev for kids.......I don't know.....maybe out of some really lightweight material and scaled down to size? I was thinking about it the other day and how much fun it could be.

P

Nope, not really. When they first made the rev II people thought it was a beginner kite, instead of the quick highwind kite that it is. If she is 5, she can start flying a rev. in just enough wind.

When you ask my grandaughter what her name is she says, "Princess" but she carries a stuff pig around so she's got some of grammy Penny in her too. Your princess would love to fly the butterfly off of a stick. :) Great indoors and out for $20 and I provide kites and costumes. What a deal!

BB Penny

Here is a great place to view pictures of Morro Bay's Kite Festival, Kite Party, San Ramon and I don't know what else. Jim Strealy (sp) has a good eye for pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ozonejim

You know there were a lot of flyers and kitedisplays that I didnt' mention. I want to mention them all! How much time do you have?

BB Penny

Someone frm Morro Bay, CA contacted me to inform me that I was on the front page. I called the reporter and he's going to send me a pic.

I just wanted to let you know what a small world it is. The reporter, Neil, use to work for a Kite shop. He wants to learn to fly Rev's. That's my kind of guy! I invited him to take a lesson next year, but it's to bad he has to wait till next year.

If there are any Rev fliers in the Morro Bay -Pismo Beach area, I'd be happy to share his information with you.

None of the parade pictures made it in except my pic. To bad.. I really wanted to share them.

Trust me.. it was awesome.

BB

Penny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Penny

I live in Paso Robles which is only 30 min. from Morro Bay. My daughter and I fly Revs and would be happy to teach him to fly. Let me know the info. John

Fantastic! I can only access his info at work, so I'll have to do that on Monday. Yeah!! I'd hate to have to wait a year to learn to fly a Rev. Thank you!

Were you at the Morro Bay festival? We rode past signs that said Paso Robles. Does it mean Road pass?

I'll be in Santa Cruz in September. They said they might not have time for my Rev lesson on the microphone, because there is so much scheduled. One day thought, I'd like to give my lesson with someone like Ron Gibbeon who is bi-linguel, and we coud give it in english and spanish. :sign_kitelife: It's a goal.

BB

Penny~who will spend the day with grandkids before they leave for a month. (I want to be at Ocean Shores) No- I want to be w/the grandkids.

Hello George, It was fun and you were a great Sam I am.. lol One of my favorite pictures that Jim took is one that looks like your chasing the grinch, the grinch is chasing the key stone cop and the cop is after the cat.. who is flying a kite! How cute.

Wow, the routine has really opened up new doors. I expected it to be well received, but the organizers love pulling in the kids and adults from the audience. 5 year old Zoe told me.. "Penny, You already have a red/wh/blue kite and Grandma gave you a red/white/blue hat. Next year, get r/w/bl kites for us kids to fly and you have your new routine!

Out of the mouths of babe's. I bought almost 10 r/w/bl hats, so now I have to come up with the rest and some fun music. Like "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy"

Kites should be a hands on display. :sign_kitelife: I'm glad you were a part of it George.. It's like I was told once, "It's not what they say to your face, but behind your back" I was told how much you all added to the routine by playing the parts. Great feedback! Ron D. and Alex H. should have been on stage! Since I don't get to see the skit, I have to listen to others.

Ben Lummas was a great pirate, dog, etc. The last show... he said, "You know Penny, I haven't seen it yet.. I think I would just like to sit and watch it." Afterwards Daddy said he asked him if he liked to watch it or be in it. Ben said he liked to be in it the best. If he comes to Brookings, I'll save him a costume.

Arnold the announcer kept saying "Penny and her cast of thousands". lol I may have that many before I'm done. I've got group pictures of most of the cast and we're not done yet. :rainbowwave:

Check out some of Jim's pictures on San Ramon is the slide show you have to push play on. Anyone know what the young girls name is that did the dual line demo?

BB

Penny

Penny~ searching for that next idea.