KiteLife Forum

my quad sticks

ant man

• 5 months later...

Antman---I did a search on the quad sticks and got your reply from last may. I have a Rev II with them, that I've had for about 10 years (at least). I really liked them on the Rev II. Recently got a Rev I, and I want them on that one too. I can't remember where I got my first set....anyways, Where did you get the rubber fittings that go on the vertical spar?

Thanks

Where did you get the rubber fittings that go on the vertical spar?

Thanks

The name of that part is an APA .312 stand off connector. I have them in stock.

Kiteshop...I looked at your website, did a search for the item, but got no result. Would like a pict of them, then I'll have to convert to American currency. The other nite, I did fashion some standoffs from some old rubber tubing I had around. Had some spare spars I cut too. Haven't had enuf wind to try it yet. I had my Rev II right next to my Rev I as I was building the system. I do like your standoff sticks on your website. How tall are they ?

Thanks

Where did you get the rubber fittings that go on the vertical spar?

Thanks

The name of that part is an APA .312 stand off connector. I have them in stock.

Kiteshop...I looked at your website, did a search for the item, but got no result. Would like a pict of them, then I'll have to convert to American currency. The other nite, I did fashion some standoffs from some old rubber tubing I had around. Had some spare spars I cut too. Haven't had enuf wind to try it yet. I had my Rev II right next to my Rev I as I was building the system. I do like your standoff sticks on your website. How tall are they ?

Thanks

Here's a link to the manufacturer's web page that shows the APA fittings, last one at the bottom of page 3:

http://www.aviasport.net/catalog/accesories/parts3.htm

I have all their parts in stock.

• 3 weeks later...

the height is about a half to a third of the down spar length. I use 16 inches (point 125 tube) 'cause the sticks come in a 48 inch length.

The fitting mentioned above mounts about a foot south of the top of the leading edge.

The end cap is point 098 (yeah I know it's too small to fit on the tube, it works, force it on but don't glue it!)

The truss lines should be 90 LPG, tight to each endcap and one long line running between the two halves/wings

BUT not so tight as to 'cause frame distortion!! See Antman's pictures, see how the frame is curved? That should be loosen or it's sacrficing the lower end of the wind range.

The truss lines should pass thru the caps and wrap twice around the thing, like the bridle does on the rev caps. You don't want the lines to move, no knots either! I hold 'em in place with a tiny bead of 2 part epoxy.

If you use Crazy glue to stuff takes all night to dry, don't say I didn't warn you either!!!

I flew the first 7 years without "training wheels", actually laughed at folks that used 'em. Now even my indoor kites have them. The picture is an ocron Tirips owned/made by Dave Ashworth being flown inside the Air & Space Museum

post-170-1195843149_thumb.jpg

hey rev flier i was wondering if my setup is wrong because mine has a curve to it and it does take a little effort to light eind fly it so im going to try your method that you have here if there is anything else you can add let me know

I just made a new "no-sew" Rev styled kite out of Icarex. My old one was a completely tattered mess, having literally thousands of hours on it. It's a little bigger than the stock 1.5 in height (32-1/2 inches instead of 30) and the center vee is cut-out to a twelve inch depth instead of the stocker's 9". There's no venting or sewing, so it's really light and with a larger surface area. Imagine the indoor Rev, but with none of the squirrelly flight dynamics.

Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten what a crisp new sail feels like!!! The kite flies itself in our local conditions. The design parameters were worked out by the KiteSquid back in '99 and I'm sure glad I've got folks like him in my area. I'm a concept guy, he's an implementer,... what great team we make. I'll draw a cocktail napkin sketch and then a week later he'll hand me a prototype to test. I feel like I've won the mega-lottery every time we pair-up to do a cooperative effort.

The picture is our efforts for the Smithsonian Kite festival back in '99. The two kites were printed thru an ink-jet printer, then rare earth magnets were added, so they'd lock together in flight at the leading edge.

post-170-1195993533_thumb.jpg

nicely done as always paul they look great .. what frames are you useing ?? i cant remember what you told me you use when we flew together in maryland.. i too am trying to lighten up one of my revs .. so far ive shaved some weight but would like to go with a lighter frame .. i do have the race rods and they are the best hands down.. i just want to know since you are the light wind master what would work the best thamks man :rainbowwave:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I'd like to reopen this thread,

If I may.

For all of those who would like to know! Paul your the MAN!! AntMAN Thanks for starting this thread! so I have recently talked with man who designed the

:kid_drool: "MAGIC QUAD STICKS" :w00t: his name is Robert "MAC" Macbroom he is my QUAD MENTOR here in smallest state/ North Kingstown,Rhode Island in the Northeast USA..he had designed them for the Rev II he was doing roll up takoffs, flic flac ( before they had names for it)/falling leaf stuff to music it's on tape it's recorded history I will dig it up and get it out... in the early 90's not just training wheels OK!! tricks boys TRICKS!!!!!

That was the his concept. Johnny beat him in 94 WILDWOOD NATIONALS with BUGS good ole choreogphy and smiles however. johnny will tell ya tricks were not very well received back then in a tradtional ballet, (IE: ;) KILL JOY )Yeah johnny, will tell ya the judges used to kill joy? Anyway, BUGS STILL ROCKS I WANT TO SEE SOMEONE BEAT IT NOW, TRY TRY IF YOU CAN :) I will get the bridle board and make available to some if they want as an accesory(NOT BETTER JUST DIFFERENT ) he made them out good ole american ingenuity now they have soft rubber (IE APA fitting) Thanks Thersa!! over the years they came with Rev 1.5 we made "STICKS" for 1.5 we got the balance to rollup 1.5 when that was done we made them and sold around the globe out of his basement. I will do my best to get them to out W/website/history/video to whoever wants to try and as time goes will put some video through Johnny showing what they are, so that's my story and I'm "sticking" :P to it.

Scotty and Darren had an UPS fall, on our way to a Wild Pirate Ball, All Johhny's flyers and all 'IQUAD Members could motivate Scotty and Darren to fly the QUADS again :sign_kitelife:

Please :) come back with comment on this guys, all older users of "MAGIC QUAD STICKS". I know what IQUAD IS DOING NOW YOU DONT NEED THEM but it is different and kinda neat for say a quadrapelic who cant set his kite up and older people who can use some help with the so called walk of shame we are not all fit as a fiddle. kiting is for all from 3 to 103 from baby to great grandpa if we open our minds and our hearts to it is our job the hardcore users of these forums to bring to others, thanks for listening.

Sincerely

Scott Weider

Scott,

I'm slapping my forehead right now. I taught a paraplegic to fly and I forgot all about quad sticks. That is the magic that guy needs. It would sure give his daughter a break. I'll have to make a set and surprise him with them this spring. Thanks for re-opening this thread.

• 4 months later...

I've been flying for a bunch of years now, mostly up in the Newport RI area. many yrs ago when I got my first EXP I noticed people (art, beth, steve sue, etc.) flying their quads on short lines and "magic sticks". Natch I had to have them right away. When i got my first 1.5 SLE I did the same.

What a great way to fly. Somewhat heavy though. Kind of limited what type of wind to fly in. Now after 4 plus yrs with them on the 1.5 I actually took the harness off to see how much difference the weight loss made without the sticks and harness.

Of course the most enjoyable part of having the sticks was dropping the handles anywhere and not having to stake the kite.

• 5 years later...

Bob I hope you enjoy the change the sissy sticks make

and see if you can do a single axel,... it will take many hours of practice

'cause the darn thing wants to do a double rotation from a single set of commands!

Let's not wait 5 years to discuss this topic again either

Bob I hope you enjoy the change the sissy sticks make

and see if you can do a single axel,... it will take many hours of practice

'cause the darn thing wants to do a double rotation from a single set of commands!

Let's not wait 5 years to discuss this topic again either

I used to call them sissy sticks, but now I've had a turn, magic is more appropriate.

Tightened up the response on my B2 somewhat. Only had a limited go but, WOW. Wind was single digit low but I could feel it. Nice glides too. Can't wait to rip on them for a long session.

TBC...

Had a bit of a chuckle Paul, your title is "newbie". And nothing could be further from the truth!