KiteLife Forum

my quad sticks

ant man

I couldn't wait for light winds to test the individual changes..... So.....

My Rev 1.5 SUL now is fully pimped out with Diamond Rods, French Bridle AND Magic Sticks!

Low wind is my friend. Really looking forward to putting this one in the air.

enjoy and let us all know if you don't have the time of your life Rob.

I'd recommend you tune at the bridle (start with the kite inverted on the ground, keep adding DOWN until it will back-up) so when you switch kites your don't make adjustments at the handles for the different bridles. Will Sturdy's out of the bag french bridle set-up is designed for 15 inch no-snags with John Barresi's leader system.

The diamond tubes should become the standard equipment frame on all REVs shipped !

I don't know what I could add 'bout the magic sticks that hasn't been said already.

After a full 3 hour session of zero wind, I gave my SUL a thorough go. We flew my Indoor Rev (on 20 feet), my modified SUL (on 30 feet), my buddies SUL (on 50 feet I think) and my other buddies Zen (on 50 feet). Some Plutz gliders and a Vented iFlight.

The mods to my SUL were a significant improvement to me and suited the way I like to fly. Quick response to inputs using 15" handles, was a little slower compared with 13"s. And a killer glide! Flat, effortless and just poetic to watch.

The glide I can attribute directly to the magic sticks as the kite wasn't under load and they have never been that impressive before. I'm sure the new Diamond rods helped too. Wow they just eat up the low low wind conditions.

Flight was sharp and somewhat zippy considering there wasn't any wind. I much prefer the 15" handles to the 13"s. Still used my usual "Rob, this is too much" brake! Might have to source a set of 17"s as I reckon they would be so sweet.

Spent more time on the Indoor and SUL than the Zen. Once I put the Zen on longer handles (15") it was much less of a truck, more of a Cadilac. I just couldn't gel with the Zen. It felt like a lot of work for the return I got. First time flying one though. That's a kite I'll have to revisit another time.

All in all, I'm really happy with my modded SUL. I realise that Sticks and the French mightn't be for everybody but it's working for me so far. Can't wait for a decent breeze to test out the Sticks on my B2! Stay tuned.

(Note: Original post from the Rev forum but I've added some more details to this one.)

• Like 5

may I recommend you go to a light weight aluminum or titanium tube (instead of a set of solid rods), if you seriously want to go to super long throw 17 inch handles.

Some flyers dismantle the steel tube shorties Rev handles (on the bottom triangle attachment point) and insert a carbon or fibreglass tube butting into that curve. Epoxy on a Rev endcap as your new long throw end point for leaders and wrap the intersection point of the steel/carbon with a laps of vinyl electrical tape. This way you can have a couple different lengths easily. Don't you worry about pulling out the insert either. In all my experience that has NEVER happened.

in the photo you can see some choices I carry for different conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201678693343982&set=p.10201678693343982&type=1&theater

the handles with red/white/black foam are grade 5 TI tubes 19 inches in length. I bent them in my neighbor's pipe bender (some fill the tubes with wet, compacted sand first, but I only wanted a little bend at the top, gradually straightening out to linear, so I skipped the anti tube-collasping technique.

The weight of these handles is less than the 13 solid no-snags alone, even with a set of 120s/90# wrapped on them!

So now you have:

~a quick response (little mass to redirect into a new location),

~ a light, delicate grip (that allows you to feel and adjust for the slightest breath of a breeze),

~ a very long throw, so you wiggle your thumbs slightly instead of waddling around on your feet

There's a set of indoor handles,.... the problem is the construction if you want to use them hard and outside. If you flail around like me, you'l jerk the leader knot thru the liner plastic, passed the melted stopping point that was designed in. That clean shape, overall length and relative straightness of the indoor handles are great for light winds, but you can't do 3-D stuff for very longer before permanent damage. I recommend these for 50#/100' show gliding or team flight in a dead calm location.

There's a set of 13 inch no-snags for very high winds. I generally keep a couple of sets of 15" no-snags, they aren't in the picture as they're in use.

The little tiny handles at the bottom are tubes of aluminum, so small & light weight that an indoor kite can carry them underneath in a long released flight glide. I gift from someone we all know and love dearly, thanks!

I have owned the commercial variety of no-snag 17s, but for my purposes they were way too heavy, like dragging them around under water. They were sent on to Atlanta with my warrior son,... he's probably pushing them thru airplane plexiglass doing MMA demonstrations for grade schoolers.

• Like 3

Let me further explain my choices: I like my 15" handles on any kite at the low end of its intended wind range!! As I tend to go with more venting rather than change frames, using the different length handles is a way of giving me a little more lift if I need it! I can tell real fast when the wind conditions aren't right for them, as they get hard to control in higher wind! And it is a bit odd, but my Zen just doesn't like the longer handles in anything other than the absolutest light conditions! The 13" handles work for me about 90% of the time!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There was mention of a kit for the magic sticks earlier in the thread. I asked kite shops in Vancouver and Victoria when we were out there at Christmas but neither had heard of them. Where can I order from?

Hi to Paul! He took me under his wing at the Swift Current show and taught me 90% of the tiny bit that I know. He's a great teacher that got me over the hump of being frustrated enough to trash something! I'm still working on my hover Paul!

Thanks for any info on the sticks.

There was mention of a kit for the magic sticks earlier in the thread. I asked kite shops in Vancouver and Victoria when we were out there at Christmas but neither had heard of them. Where can I order from?

Hi to Paul! He took me under his wing at the Swift Current show and taught me 90% of the tiny bit that I know. He's a great teacher that got me over the hump of being frustrated enough to trash something! I'm still working on my hover Paul!

Thanks for any info on the sticks.

I got my Magic Sticks from Flying Smiles Kites. I got 2 sets, 1 for my B2 and 1 for my 1.5SUL. The kit comes with everything you need along with easy to follow instructions. Really happy with them so far.

• Like 4

The difference in sizes equates to how easily you can roll the kite into the flying lines when resting upright on the ground. Longer is less effort, in a good wind you need only "step forward", the shorter version gives all the tricks but might need more technique/practice. 16 inch ones would be my recommendation

• Like 1

The difference in sizes equates to how easily you can roll the kite into the flying lines when resting upright on the ground. Longer is less effort, in a good wind you need only "step forward", the shorter version gives all the tricks but might need more technique/practice. 16 inch ones would be my recommendation

I got the 16's for my SUL and have found them fun. Monster slack line glide!

Economics 101: the difference is sizes offered is based upon how many sticks you can cut out of each original (point 125 inch) tube. They are available stocking size at 48 inches long, so three-out is 16" and 4-out is twelve (inches in length ~ approx)

The 12's offer all the kick-stand advantages and improved glide you'd expect, easier axels and much simpler flick-flaks too (since the bottom knots of elastic on the sail now have a shedding of possible tangles by the truss system line.

The 16s though "unlock" roll-ups and the unrolling launch which can both be done pretty reliably. The original designer has it just slightly longer still (Weider's offering), but that makes more waste in manufacturing.

You can make your own,.... somewhere on this forum is a detailed diagram showing the easy + the more complex (but recommended way) methods. Shook's offering is the easy way, since most folks don't want to do anything more than slap it on & reap some benefit.

It is different if you have thousands of hours w/o sticks, it will take some time to get used to. I believe they are a benefit but you are free to make your own determination from personal experiences.

The increased glide alone would be sufficient motivation for me (land of no-wind) to use sissy sticks, everything else gained is just a huge, unexpected bonus. A flailer's dream ride? YES it is, at least to me!!!

• Like 4

Way back in this thread (either here or on Rev forum) Theresa ( Kite Shoppe) discussed that Scotty had made some up for her to sell! Don't know if she's still offering them or not! No, they're not on her site, but that doesn't mean she hasn't got any to sell! Flying Smiles carries them all the time!! :ani_giveup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even if there where no benefits for "some"... I could still see enviroments where these would be useful. I myself have roll-up dreams...so I am going to give it a go. But I also have duplicate kites..one will stay normal...one will start with some changes.

I can absolutely see light wind advantages for those that dont want to or have no choice to be more mobile.

• Like 1