KiteLife Forum

Rev 1/1.5 Wind Ranges

outsync

Hey peeps,

I'm trying to make a litle chart with rev I , 1.5 wind ranges.

The goal for me is to have some kind of reference, so that I dont use the wrong setup and break my gear and can make a better choice for my next rev :w00t:

Where I live(Ostend,Belgium) we have wind averages between 7-25 mph (3-5 bft), the last few days I was unable to fly my rev 1 sle due to to high wind for me to handle. (up to 35mph).

Rev kites wind range

Kite Frame mph

REV 1 3-wrap SLE 3-25

REV 1 VENTED 3-warp SLE 5-30

REV 1 2-wrap 1/4'' ?

REV 1 3-wrap 1/4'' ?

REV 1 4-wrap 1/4'' 3-20

REV 1.5 SLE 3-wrap SLE 4-20

REV 1.5 SLE VENTED 3-wrap SLE 12-25

REV 1.5 SUL 2-wrap 1/4'' 0-8

I made this list out of the info I could find on the internet, It's not complete, and I expect to have some bad nr's in it.

I hope to be able to complete and correct the list with your help

Thanks in advance,

IMO most kites includeing revs come with a wid wind range while i have only a few revs over the years i found the best winds to fly each in i hope this helps

rev 1 4 to 15

rev 1 ul 0 to 5

1.5 4 to 10

1.5 ul 0 to 5

1.5 vent 8 to 20

supersonic 5 to 15

supersonic vent 10 to 25

shockwave 10 to 19

indoor (outside) 0 to 3

blast 3 to 15

while those are all i have for now im sure some one else can give you other stats

In my experience...

Rev kites wind range

Kite Frame mph

REV 1 3-wrap SLE 3-25

REV 1 2-wrap 1/4'' 0-7

REV 1 3-wrap 1/4'' 3-12

REV 1 4-wrap 1/4'' 5-20

REV 1.5 SLE 3-wrap SLE 4-30

REV 1.5 SLE VENTED 3-wrap SLE 6-25

But ugh, I wouldn't caught dead on an SLE... What about the other spar combinations?

well put although 55 mph if you can set up a kite in that your good ........REAL GOOD

I have setup and flown in winds around 50MPH (measured at Beaufort 8.6) at Fano Denmark. This is on the North Sea.

Flying was no problem as I used a super vented REV I.

The worst part is that I had sand in my ears, up my nose, in my mouth and in my eyes.

My car, which was also on the beach, was an awful mess inside and out.

Dont know how fast the gusts were at Blackheath Ant but must have been getting there.

And dont forget John is good .........REAL GOOD :):):w00t:

Chris, I measured the windspeed at average 35mph gusting to 41mph just a while before you arrived, like you say they can fly a bit (John Lam Chris and Carl) it was an education for me. B)

Me too. Was a shame about that hail storm. Still I had to get off home.

Made me smile the way those 2 line Deltas were dragging folk around.

Did you go out again after I left? I know it was difficult to stand up at times. Great fun.

What spars are you using on the verticals? I have found 2 wraps work pretty good up to about 10. Is there a reason not to use them at higher winds?

I use 2, 3 and 4 wrap depending on the rev sail type and the wind strength. I will shift from 2 to 3 when I know the REV will fly well with 3. It is rare that I will use the 4 wrap, but I do use it.

The 2 wraps have their limits.

If the spar is in excellent shape, it will literally explode into multiple pieces when it's wind limits are exceeded.

If the spar has some damage, usually not detectable, it will most likely break at the damage point in two pieces, before these wind limits are approached.

What about the EXP leading edge on the SLE sail? Eveyone was talking that up on the other forum. I have on on order now. :w00t:

The standard EXP leading edge is a 3 wrap without the "Ultralight" label.

The EXP rods fit without any change to the SLE sail.

You could remove the rubber washers from the end caps if you are not going to use the SLE leading edge, but it is not really necessary. The weight is negligible and it is also a good parking place in case you want to use the SLE rods. Beware that the SLE rods will cut your bungees and bridle if the washer is not in place.

Hey peeps,

I'm trying to make a litle chart with rev I , 1.5 wind ranges.

The goal for me is to have some kind of reference, so that I dont use the wrong setup and break my gear and can make a better choice for my next rev :kid_devlish:

Where I live(Ostend,Belgium) we have wind averages between 7-25 mph (3-5 bft), the last few days I was unable to fly my rev 1 sle due to to high wind for me to handle. (up to 35mph).

Rev kites wind range

Kite Frame mph

REV 1 3-wrap SLE 3-25

REV 1 2-wrap 1/4'' ?

REV 1 3-wrap 1/4'' ?

REV 1 4-wrap 1/4'' 3-20

REV 1.5 SLE 3-wrap SLE 4-20

REV 1.5 SLE VENTED 3-wrap SLE 12-25

I made this list out of the info I could find on the internet, It's not complete, and I expect to have some bad nr's in it.

I hope to be able to complete and correct the list with your help

Thanks in advance,

Wouldn’t you know it? Today I started making up a chart for myself with just this type of information. After putting what I have for now up on my web server I see this thread it now I see lots of others have done research on the same thing. I probably saw this another time and forgot. I agree I need to add the spar/frame info to it but for now it looks like this

http://www.dennyworld.com/kite/wind/

I will work on it in the morning after looking at this thread. I was looking for more info.

When flying vented with three wrap spars, if the wind gets stronger, just add a set of two wrap leading edge spars right along side of the three wrap spars. It makes the kite stiff enough to fly in higher wind and flexable enough to be smooth. Learned that from Barresi. Thank you John

Jim

Usefull chart. Looks pretty comprehensive to me. Once the spar info is in as well will be REALLY usefull. Now I just need a wind meter!!

And have to guestimate the gusts as well.

When flying vented with three wrap spars, if the wind gets stronger, just add a set of two wrap leading edge spars right along side of the three wrap spars. It makes the kite stiff enough to fly in higher wind and flexable enough to be smooth. Learned that from Barresi. Thank you John

Jim

Jim,

You use several different and combinations of spars so I will come to you for expert information. It would seem that a 2 wrap spar should be flown in the same wind condition regardless of the sail used. 3 wrap more wind, 2+3 more wind etc.

What would you conceder the limits of a single 2 wrap or a single 3 wrap.

Is the 2 wrap you talk about the same as comes with the 1.5 SUL? I assume with the other 1.5s you get the SLE so where do you get the 3 wraps?

Thanks

Denny

REV 1 3-wrap SLE 3-25

25 seems a bit high to me

15, yes but only just

What do others think.

Regards.

Derek.

I agree. I've seen 4 wraps brake in 25 mph on a Rev. 1.

Hey, don't forget Rev II's. You guys will have your vented Rev. 1.5's down on the ground long before my vented 2 comes down. BB Penny~

Not sure Derek,

I have a vry old standard Rev 1 and have flown it in winds I would think were up to 20mph and gusting, at least enough to take me off balance quite a few times. Not quite sure what the standard wrap is for a Rev 1 as my frame is so old as to not have markings. Going by my EXP which is also not marked I would think the standard MIGHT be 3 wrap as I THINK that is what is in the EXP, obviously I stand to be corrected on this.

If indeed it is a 3 wrap SLE dont forget that is a half inch rod and is considerably stiffer, I would not be suprised if it would not be OK to 25 and possibly above. however a Rev 1 has quite a large sail area and it might be too much pressure on the frame at that speed.

I am sure someone will know rather than think!!!!!!!