KiteLife Forum

Quad kite compulsories video

tonycarl60

• 1 year later...

I would love to see a video of both Dual and Quad line compulsories. It would be great to have it as a tutorial. Maybe in TP format where there is a judging test where a figure is flown and you judge it and compare to an experienced judge. This would help both in flying and judging. Would have to be pretty good flyers doing the tutorial.

Show how to setup the figure. Measure the figure. What marks you should fly to. How the grid works. Physical window versus wind window.

On Quad there is so much that could be taught about flying the kite. What inputs to use for the various corners and reversals.

I really enjoy compulsories and enjoy learning and improving on them.

I think if people could see how they were done by an expert there might be more participation in the competitions.

But then again I might be a wierdo enjoying compulsories.

One of the inherent difficulties with such a project is poring through submitted (or created) videos and ensuring that the flights are perfect.

Line length, wind speed, field size and many other factors play into how a compulsory is flown and even judged.

Proportions (placement in window / placement of components / etc)... How would a standard or grading be applied?

I enjoy compulsories too. It gives me a sense of purpose instead of just flopping around the sky. I think it improves ones flying by forcing you to try something you would ordinarily do. Their are plenty of videos for ballet but none for the compulsories which are part of the competition too. I realize that both spectators and fliers enjoy the ballet more but that's because the spectators don't know what the compulsories are. Maybe holding up a large diagram of the figure so the the spectators can see what the flier is trying to do would help. Ballet shows your creative side, compulsories show you have complete control over the kite, both need to be practiced.

• 3 years later...