KiteLife Forum

REVs with tails

johnnmitchell

Mylar tails looks exceptionally good on single line kites, that are not moving all over, as can be seen at Cervia on this small kite at these URLs:

http://home.arcor.de/johnmitchell2/3-Photo...sm_DSC16855.JPG

http://home.arcor.de/johnmitchell2/3-Photo...sm_DSC16858.JPG

http://home.arcor.de/johnmitchell2/3-Photo...sm_DSC16875.JPG

The tails had a width of 2 or 3mm(less the 1/8") and I would guess at about 4 to 6 meters(4.4 to 6.6 yards) long.

Tks. TGreat info John, I hope some of the flyers in this area take advantage of it. It would be great to see some tails like those on the Rev.. hint hint, Jim, Amy, ... you know who you are. :kid_cussing:

BB Penny

Penny,

An idea for your indoor kites is to line the inner trailing edge with 1/16-1/8 inch wide streamers 3 to 6 ft long made of mylar.

It should look really kewl indoors.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back in here. You are correct as usual T. Scott's mylar is considered no longer available.

John, M. I am going to have to look for some of that mylar and try it on my leading edge.

Tks again.

Amy... I know this is in the wrong post... but a tshirt that says student pilot? Someone mentioned orange cones. lol I see a compromise of an orange cone hat that says "Student pilot' lol I can see it just a bit to clearly in my mind. lol

BB Penny

Tks. TGreat info John, I hope some of the flyers in this area take advantage of it. It would be great to see some tails like those on the Rev.. hint hint, Jim, Amy, ... you know who you are. :kid_cussing:

BB Penny

Hey Penny, I already used mine at the Portland event (OOU) the other day and they're awesome!!!

Cheers

Mario

Mario...Hi!

I don't believe the Mylar tails that Scotty Weider uses are available any more. I think he said the material is no longer made. I'm answering you here, because maybe Penny and/or someone else may know?

T

Sorry it's taken so long to get back in here. You are correct as usual T. Scott's mylar is considered no longer available.

John, M. I am going to have to look for some of that mylar and try it on my leading edge.

Tks again.

Amy... I know this is in the wrong post... but a tshirt that says student pilot? Someone mentioned orange cones. lol I see a compromise of an orange cone hat that says "Student pilot' lol I can see it just a bit to clearly in my mind. lol

BB Penny

BB Penny

Hey Penny, I already used mine at the Portland event (OOU) the other day and they're awesome!!!

Cheers

Mario

Mario...Hi!

I don't believe the Mylar tails that Scotty Weider uses are available any more. I think he said the material is no longer made. I'm answering you here, because maybe Penny and/or someone else may know?

T

Try one of those emergency winter blankets made of mylar. They are cheap.

Try one of those emergency winter blankets made of mylar. They are cheap.
Hmm, are they light?

BB Penny~ who'll have to go look across the street for one.

Yes, they are very light. They are usually gold on one side and silver on the other.

Snow skiers often carry them, so you could try a sporting goods store.

It is a nice item to have in the car for the winter, so try an auto supply store.

Rescue team and paramedics also use them at times in cold climates.

The package blanket is small, about the size of an empty wallet.

They usually only cost a few dollars.

Hi,

I found a source for mylar tail material that will work very well on any kite. I happened to be looking for mylar tape to keep the Canada Geese out of my yard. One of the solutions was mylar tape with certain characteristics such as one side gold, one side silver or one side silver, one side red or holographic reflections. The tapes are available in 1/2", 1" and 1 1/4" widths. Check out Visual Bird Control at Sutton Ag Enterprises. Strung across fence posts, it kept the geese off the lawn. I bought a couple extra rolls for the kites.

• 1 year later...

I just got some Gomberg transition tails. Hooked 2 48 footers together to make 1 96 foote to my Rev B and did a video. Since the rev can do dive stops and fly backwards I thought it would add a little more interest. It did seem to get attention at the field. I attached it to the center leading edge.

http://www.vimeo.com/4807839