KiteLife Forum

Geting rid of the knots (more tuning)

woodpekr

I got the thinner bungee at REI and other sporting goods stores. The smaller stuff is somtimes hoarded by the repair department in these outdoor stores so be sure to check with them if one of the floor clerks can't find what you want.

I got a number of hits for smaller diameter bungee on the web too, but it was either a wholesaler that won't sell to a non-retailer or the minimum quantity was too much.

Kite Studio has 1/16, 3/32, & 1/8 for sale. Here's a link to their bungi cords, the price is by the yard.

:blink: Hi, nice information. :)

This should be helpful to a lot of people out there. But not me. ;(

My only complaint on the indoor Rev. is taking the weakest part of the kite, (the cap) and drilling a whole in it. :( The knot is then hidden inside. That's wonderful.

Oooops! Those knots have come off on me 1/2 a dozen times, leaving me to hunt or create new end caps. The knots slip through the whole. And I think the knot is about as big as it can be and still fit in cap and spar.

Because I'm so hard on the leading edge outside, my caps are the first thing to get filed down till they break, so I've shied away from the internal knots. I wish, there was a compromise.

The small bundgee is neat. I tried several sized before staying with a med. width. To small, was.. well to small. It didn't have the bounce back I needed for the guilloteen, so I had to go to the mediam size. (I'm just so technical, aren't I. ;) )

It is nice to see there are people out there working on improving their gear.

Maybe someone will find a way to fix this problem that would make me happy. :wacko: or maybe not. <_<

Thanks for the info and keep us updated on your other modifications.

Best Breezes,

:Oooops!  Those knots have come off on me 1/2 a dozen times, leaving me to hunt or create new end caps.  The knots slip through the whole.  And I think the knot is about as big as it can be and still fit in cap and spar.

Because I'm so hard on the leading edge outside,  my caps are the first thing to get filed down till they break, so I've shied away from the internal knots.  I wish, there was a compromise.

Penny,

Are you saying that you have tried the modification and the knots pulled through the end cap? or are you saying that in the standard set up the knots hsve pulled through the sail?

If you're wearing out the endcaps that quickly you could keep a few extra "bungee caps" with you. When you wear one out you just larks head the new one on and you're good to go.

No, I never did it to my standard Rev. I've seen it done and they were happy. But they also don't use their kites on cement, (fairs, rocky fields and gym floors)

Yes, I do wear those caps down till there is just a thin piece at the top left. and big holes! Then they crack and I just replace them with new caps.

The indoor kite is where the knots have come out of the caps. They are quite a bit smaller then the regular caps. :blink:

It's a wonderful modification for someone who doesn't do a lot of ground work. And smaller bundgee would work for me on the "ends" of the leading edge, but not on the leading edge. I tried it. Nope..and I have a few tricks that the bundgee is crucial to.

It's wonderful to see the pictures of what you can do to modify for your needs on the net.

I believe Lam does drill his caps, as do many others. I just don't think anyone is as hard on kites as I am.

BB Penny

• 1 month later...