KiteLife Forum

silver fox 2.5 std tryout

everest_4

I just bought a silver fox 2.5 std and was wondering if any of you here on the forum have done a lot of flying with this kite, I know that several of you own it, so what can you tell me about it?

I'd also like to know what is the ideal line for this kite and the max and min wind it will take. Thanks. :kid_devlish:

I flew the Silver Fox 2.5 std today. First thing when I took it out of the bag and checked it I found one of the leading edge tip knocks was not glued and came off in the rubber cap. I dug it out of the cap and glued it on. The rest was straight forward and the kite flew like a champion. Very nice flight. Response was crisp and stability was excellant. It has a place in my A-bag

I flew the Silver Fox 2.5 std today. First thing when I took it out of the bag and checked it I found one of the leading edge tip knocks was not glued and came off in the rubber cap. I dug it out of the cap and glued it on. The rest was straight forward and the kite flew like a champion. Very nice flight. Response was crisp and stability was excellant. It has a place in my A-bag

You have got to be kidding <_< , that's EXACTLY what happened to me, I take this kite out of the bag for like the first time and as I'm removing the soft cap that covers the nock everything came off, but no big deal a little glue will fix it easily. How did you attach your lineset to the pigtails? I also don't quite understand how the beads work; so you can see I'm pretty new at all this, I'm just waiting for the hurricane winds to die down a little, it must be gusting up to 40mph out there. :kid_smartass:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I now own one of these, thanks to a great deal at a second-hand outdoor gear shop :D I realize it will be way beyond me for a while, but I have a few questions about it that I wonder if one of you other owners might be able to shed some light on.

In the bag, there were 2 brass sleeves, and a fairly heavy black metal rod with a hole drilled into it to make it like the top of a tee. From looking on the web, I gather these are the ballast and tail weights. Under the velcro tail flap, there is a piece of tubing that slips inside the main spine, and the brass sleeves seem to fit this perfectly, but the Tee piece is very loose on it. One end of the inner tube is sealed with some type of tape, that appears to make the inner sleeve a bit of a friction-fit. On this inner tube there is a movable sleeve that looks as if it might have originally been glued on, as there is a rough spot on the tube about halfway.

So the questions...

Should that small outer sleeve be glued to the tube that slips into the main spine?

How are the weights used with this system? What holds them in place and keeps them from flopping about, etc? I am particularly curious about the Tee-drilled weight.

Does the taped end indeed slip inside the main spine as a friction-fit or should it be glued in? Should it always be in place?

Is the kite generally flown with no weight by default, or did it use some of them in the factory setup?

How many weights came with your kite?

I'm also not quite understanding how the wing tip tension lines work. The kite came with a very poor instruction card, but no manual. If anyone could elaborate on how the wing tips are tensioned, that would be great. I do know there is both a leech line and a shock cord tension line.

The kite (a blue STD version) looks to be very lightly used, in exceptional physical condition, with no discernable wear or breakage beyond maybe the damaged or incomprehensible weight system :kid_cussing:

I picked it up for about half the retail price I see on the web, so if it sits in the closet a few months, I won't be too disturbed.

Thanks for any info on this thing. The web was unusually sparse on it.

Dave

Hello Dave,

belated happy birthday by the way. I've been meaning to replay to your questions for the last week so here goes. The std comes with 2 ballast and 1 tail weight. The tail weight is always used, the ballast weights are added depending on wind conditions and your own preferences (from what I can gather). I just beginning to perform tricks myself so I cant say exactly how there used. I've left mine on, as this is the way the kite came.

It appears that the inner tube and smaller tube you mention should be glued in place. Mine has come loose also, but on the vented i have they are still glued in place. the smaller tube seems to be a better fitting on the short inner tube then that of the inner tube into the main spine. I guess the intention here

was to use the small tube as a stop to prevent the inner tube from slipping up into the main outer spine. The glue has failed in my case allowing the inner tube to move resulting in the tail weight dropping out after a crash. Luckey enough I checked the kite and found the weight. I've since used electrical insulating tape the tape the tail weight in position for the time being.

The glue has also broken down on several other components. Theres some complaints on sites about the nocks being loose on purchase. On my ul kite the lue on the inner tube on the lower wing spreader failed and slipped totally inside the spreader while in the kite bag. I eventually got it out after using 3mm bar from another kite. I've just reguled these parts using an 2 part epoxy resin. (Araldite)

I couldn't make out the wing tip tension lines either and just tied them any way that seemed to work. I came across a video someone had done on some site (it could be this one.) Unfortunately, I did not book mark it. It was for some other kite with three holes in the wing tip rather than two that the silver fox has. I now tie off using a similar approach and I will post a few pics shorthly in another reply as I'm not sure if the pic size exceeds this sites limits.

Regards,

Mick

Hi again, Dave.

I'm having trouble inserting images directly into reply so I've put them into my gallery under album silver fox sfwt1.jpg to sfwt9.jpg. Check my profile/gallery.

Regards,

Mick.

Excellent guys! Thanks a lot. I'm glad to see that mine is at least complete.

I don't think I'm going to glue my inner tube in place. I guess I don't see a reason for that with the sleeve glued on and acting as a stopper. I'll just leave the tape around the shaft that's already there and use it as a friction fit. That way if I break the extension, I can slip it out and replace it. If it's glued in, I'll need to change the whole spine.

I guess gravity keeps the brass weights in place, but maybe I'll get a little O-ring or something to act as a keeper, if it grips well enough. I can see those weights slipping toward the nose with the kite flying downward. That would seem to be bad for balance :(

That wingtip video is great! Just what I needed.

Dave

Glad to be able to help. That is what forums are all about after all.

I only know about it cus Lam pointed me towards it when I asked about the Sea Devil I won.

Sorry not trying to rub it in, just cant believe I have it and have to mention it every time I get a chance.

Dave,

The ballast weights only fit on the inner tube so are confined a 50mm section of the tail. I've fitted O rings, as per your suggestion, to stop moving

within this space.

Baloo,

If I won a kite like yours I'd be taking about it too. Seen several videos of it. Beautiful looking kite.

I'm hoping to holiday in Wales or England next year and take in a kite festival. Can you recommend a good

seaside resort and/or festival to fly in. maybe I could meet up with you for a couple of hours for a flying session if your interested.

Regards,

Mick.

Man, I just got a set of Silver Foxes and has some of these same questions. Thanks for bringing them up.

My tail weight, the tee looking weight that goes at the end, wasn't glued on to anything on any of my Foxes. In fact, it fell off into the bag on my standard and I didn't realize it was supposed to be there at first. I hadn't noticed any kind of inner sleeve and I think it may in fact be missing on my standard as the spine is measurabley shorter than on my UL and vented. Mick, do you think you could take a picture of the bottom of the spine so I could see the end of the main tube, the inner tube and the tee? Also, did you put that colored tape on the weight? (EDIT: Yes, I see you mention electrical tape up above.)

Cheers,

Dan

No problem Baloo, when I win the next one on the the 15th, I'll probably chat it up a lot too :(

I tried gluing that sleeve back on with a 30-minute, 2-part epoxy. It didn't hold at all. I guess I will try a thicker, gap-filling CA glue next and see if that works. I think once the sleeve is permanently fixed in place so the extension can't shorten, the velcro tail flap and tensioner will hold that Tee weight in place on the end of the shaft, although I may just wrap it as Mick did. I've also toyed with the idea of drilling a small hole in it and tying a tether on to make sure it stays close by if it falls off. Now that I know for sure how it's supposed to be, I'm sure it can be worked out.

Yes, Dan, all the parts for my tail extension had collected in the bottom of the bag. Since I bought it at a second-hand shop, I cannot be sure it wasn't broken by the original owner, but it sure seems like this is a common malady. I don't know what that extension and sleeve are made of but it's sure slippery. I've never had epoxy fail to grip so incompletely. If the CA glue doesn't do it, I guess I'll try some PVC cement next.

Dave

I don't think I'm going to glue my inner tube in place. I guess I don't see a reason for that with the sleeve glued on and acting as a stopper. I'll just leave the tape around the shaft that's already there and use it as a friction fit.

Dave,

Do you by chance have a shot of these parts? I can't remember seeing a sleeve on any of my Foxes at the end of the spine (or are you talking about velcro sleeve the spine passes through?), but I'll take a closer look this evening. Did you try to glue the inner tube in place with the epoxy then?

If I read that right, you're also planning to leave the tail weight loose and let the velcro keep it on?

Thanks!

~Dan

Alright, I was finally able to get home and take a look. The extension on my standard measures 68 mm, while the extension on my UL measures 92 mm. The stopper on the standard is also not glued, while the UL's stopper was. I tried pulling on the extension and was not able to pull it out any.

So will 24 mm / .94 in in height make a big difference in flying qualities? Also, what is the purpose of the stopper and should I glue it on the standard?

Thanks,

Dan

EDIT: The vented's extension is 90 mm and the stopper is glued just like the UL.