KiteLife Forum

tangeled lines

sky fish

skitch that is great i have had people walk therugh my lines and tangle them up and just walk away like nothing happend .. not like i expected the help but he at least a sorry wou have been nice

Yeah ANT, the guy was GREAT. I think his name was Jim....he used to fly with Cutting Edge a while back I guess. It was not Jim Barber. He knew how to fly Revs and was pretty damn good at it. He took some time with me and really helped me "get it" for the first time. Gave me some great advice on how to hold the handles and what to feel for. That day I was up and flying and really got over the nervousness I had about trying to get the hang of the quad. I still use the tips he gave me. Wish I could remember his last name. We drew a crowd on the beach and he ended up flying dualies with another couple just down the way. While he was helping me with my lines, another guy came up and started watching...I talked to him and he said that Jim had seen him on the beach the day before when he was having problems working with his Dual line and the guy helped him out as well and worked with him for quite a while. Seems to me this guy is doing a solo job of keeping the sport alive in his area. Wish I could afford to live at the beach and do the same!!!!

He said he does not do the forum thang....so I doubt he'll see this. Maybe Debbie will know who I'm talkin' about if she reads this....or someone else from the Ocean Shores area.

P :sign_kitelife:

Skitch,

the man you are talking about is Jim Barber. He and his wife Monica own The Cutting Edge Kite shop in Ocean Shores WA. They are both wonderful people and go out of their way to help anyone that needs it. The both are very involved in The Northwest Sport Kite League and put on a Festival and competition every year. In fact, I was just attending it last weekend. They are both a gift to the kiting community, and Jim is indeed a part of the World Cup Winning team Cutting Edge.

http://cuttingedgekites.com/index1.htm

hugs Mousie

Skitch, you must be really good if you have a two time World Champion to wrap your lines up!! :blue_wink: I gotta get me a kite roady :sign_kitelife:

I'm sure I looked pitiful and they helped me for that reason. It was very nice of the guys to help me out....it was a mess. !!!!

P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Watty, I really don't want to use 2 winders for time & impatience reasons. I did think your method was pretty straightforward when I read it. :)

I'm not sure I would recommend Mike's way to any but the bravest of souls. Mike is probably a perfectionist. lol Nothing persona Mike. :)

I'm more of a Linus.. get the lines, dirty, wiggly free, not bundgee'd down. I have wound lines on the handles and it just wasn't the same. I have no idea why. Don't want to know. Just don't want to spend that much time unwinding lines.

Give your husband some time to cool off. Maybe even be the best wife in the world and untangle his lines for him untill he takes on the responsibility. Everyone knows what an awesome man I'm married to. He can be found untangling lines at meetings, on the beach, in the van. lol

I have to thank God for that man daily.

That's not to say I can't untangle lines.. I do.. but save them for a rainy day. Good luck getting your husband back out there. Tell him it will get easier and it is worth it.

BB Penny

Without a winder, I grab all four lines and wrap them around my handles walking towards the kites.

Then I larkshead the left pair together and the right pair together as others do.

Just make sure to point the top of the handles towards the kite both when winding and unwinding.

Not recommended until you are really use to handling quad line messes.

I learned how to do this from the North American quadline competitors and the Guadaloupe competition in 1997.

I use this Method quite often to clear the field quickly of my lines. At the end of the day I still wrap all four around a single winder as this is not a good storage method. The ends of the line are wrapped between the handles on the grips to hold them tight.

This is all good to know. I can see where I'm going to have to "feel" my way through this. :? If there is a way to avoid the tangles, I want to be doing that.

AVOID is a tall order when it comes to the 4 lines and everything that can come between you and your kite!!!! But, no matter which way you decide to do it...like with anything else....the more you do it the easier it gets. You'll be OK...just give it a little time and be patient when they do get tangled. After a few times you won't even be thinking about them anymore and the only thing that will matter is the great time you had flying the kite!!!!

Have a wonderful time with it....It's my new "therapy"!!!!! Wish I could get out even more.

P :)

Thanks Skitch, it does help to read everyone else's methods and frustrations. I'll bear that in mind when I go through it! ;D

As for therapy, I can totally see that! The rev's movements possess the kite zen I've been looking for. Once I get this down, I'm going to be a very happy camper. :)

Mike, do you mean that you wind both sets of lines around the two handles held together???

Yes, that's what I do. I hold both handles by the metal part, point the tops towards the kite, and wind the lines around the foam.

I'm not sure I would recommend Mike's way to any but the bravest of souls. Mike is probably a perfectionist. lol Nothing persona Mike. :)

Ha! I am anything but a perfectionist! (just ask John B. :) ) I'm a laid back kind of wrap-it-up-quickly-and-toss-it-in-the-bag kinda guy.

I swear on a stack of Revs, I have no problems doing it this way. My kite is set up and ready to fly very quickly.

I keep my lines on my handles, pinch the ends between the grips like John Mitchell said, and throw it in my kite bag.

Here's some more info; more than you need:

I hold both handles together, by the metal tubes, in my left hand.

I point the the top of the handles towards the kite.

I draw all four lines together towards the bottom of the foam.

I start winding from the bottom of the foam, catching the adjustment knots on the first couple winds.

I wind fairly tightly.

I keep winding near the bottom, gradually working my way to the top of the foam.

Ideally, I would reach the top of the foam only when I've wound the entire length of the lines on to the handles.

My daughter does it the same way. It works fine for her too.

Maybe I should take some photos and do a tutorial?

ok, even more info.

I keep a set of handles with 75' x 90# lines wrapped around them all year round. This is what I fly on most of the time.

I have a set of handles that I keep free of line and use winders for my other linesets.

When I don't want to carry my kite bag, I can just carry my handles, with the lines wrapped around them, and a kite. I don't need to carry anything else. Except when the field is icy/slippery, I usually don't even carry a stake (but that story is for another day).

ok, even more info.

I keep a set of handles with 75' x 90# lines wrapped around them all year round. This is what I fly on most of the time.

I have a set of handles that I keep free of line and use winders for my other linesets.

When I don't want to carry my kite bag, I can just carry my handles, with the lines wrapped around them, and a kite. I don't need to carry anything else. Except when the field is icy/slippery, I usually don't even carry a stake (but that story is for another day).

I so hear this. When I'm done flying, I just like to throw things in my bag and either go home or back to a hotel and worry about rewinding (if necessary). Thanks for all the great advice!

Some photos would be GREAT if you have the time! I'm a visual kinda person! :)

I'm going to cover this in GREAT HIDEOUSLY BORING DETAIL in the next Kitelife, complete with pics and video

Some photos would be GREAT if you have the time! I'm a visual kinda person! :)

I'm going to cover this in GREAT HIDEOUSLY BORING DETAIL in the next Kitelife, complete with pics and video

One man's "Hideously Boring" may be another mans Glorious Enlightenment!

Or something like that.

P

Some photos would be GREAT if you have the time! I'm a visual kinda person! :D

I'll do the middle bit for you right now Monks.

Once attached!

"Wind line round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and...." :):)

Bazzer ;)

Some photos would be GREAT if you have the time! I'm a visual kinda person! :D

I'll do the middle bit for you right now Monks.

Once attached!

"Wind line round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and...." :):)

Bazzer ;)

and round and round and round... We're still only up to about 13 ft. Wow, that's going to be a long boring article. :D

BB Penny

A newbie asked me how to wind his lines. I told him I just wrapped them around my handles, but warned him that many folks worry about the technique.

He decided to go ahead and wrap around the handles and had no problems thru the weekend.

Mike

Yesterday we attended a new festival in Los Angeles. The field was two baseball diamonds separated by a chain link fence. We needed to move from one area to another, so I flew my kite, however the wind died so Lynn decided to wrap her 100' lines around her handles in a figure eight, and walk her kite. When she unwound the lines, she did something wrong, and ended up with a couple of hundred twists. Susan Shampo helped Lynn keep the lines straight as I turned the handles to get the twists out. I think from now on Lynn will probably use a winder. We never did figure out what she did wrong.

Jim

I dunno, I don't use a figure eight.

If you get a lot twists, its because the lines were not unwound the same way they were put on.

If you orient the handles the same way when you wind and unwind you'll be ok. If you orient the handles one way, and then unwind with the handles pointed the opposite way you will have hundreds of twists.

Mike

Yesterday we attended a new festival in Los Angeles. The field was two baseball diamonds separated by a chain link fence. We needed to move from one area to another, so I flew my kite, however the wind died so Lynn decided to wrap her 100' lines around her handles in a figure eight, and walk her kite. When she unwound the lines, she did something wrong, and ended up with a couple of hundred twists. Susan Shampo helped Lynn keep the lines straight as I turned the handles to get the twists out. I think from now on Lynn will probably use a winder. We never did figure out what she did wrong.

Jim

Jim, Did you see me doing that with the indoor REV yesterday?

The next time we meet up, I will show you the trick of winding lines around the handles and unwinding them with no more then one or two twists.

okey doke, I went into the backyard and took some photos.

Please ignore the way the lawn looks; we're not supposed to water our lawns right now. It's not bad really. Now we don't need to mow either :)

I attached the lines to the kite and unwound the lines off my handles. Here are some photos to show that the lines look tangled:

post-43-1182190390_thumb.jpg

post-43-1182190414_thumb.jpg

post-43-1182190419_thumb.jpg

At this point all I had to do was to put tension on the lines and all those supposed tangles disappeared!

There were only a couple real twists. I put my handles together and turned them once, and then I turned one handle around once and that was it.

Now, to wind the lines back on the handles, grab the the handles like so:

post-43-1182190625_thumb.jpg

Point the handles in the general direction of the kite and start to wind the lines. I like to start by winding around the adjustment knots to help hold it all together better:

post-43-1182190777_thumb.jpg post-43-1182190786_thumb.jpg

Note that I start at the bottom of the grips and work my way up to the top, ending up like so:

post-43-1182190846_thumb.jpg

Now disconnect the lines from one side of the kite. Sometime the lengths come out even, but usually it looks like this:

post-43-1182190897_thumb.jpg

To keep things even on the handle, I larks-head the shorter line onto the longer line:

post-43-1182190902_thumb.jpg

After larks-heading the other pair of lines, pinch all four of lines thru the grips to hold it all in place.

post-43-1182190907_thumb.jpg

When it's time to set up your kite, attach the lines to the kite and walk backwards.

Grip the handles the same way you did when when winding them up. Point them towards the kite again too. This is essential.

post-43-1182192403_thumb.jpg

That's it! I hope you enjoy Mike's Magical Method of line storage!

Lynn thought that she unwound the lines just the way she had wound them, but that couldn't be. I think that she wound them in a figure eight, then pulled them off one end of the handles, thinking that that was the same, but putting one twist in for each figure eight wrap. I haven't given it a try yet, but I think that might do it.

I'll have to give it a try and see. But....you can bet I won't use 100' lines.........

Jim