KiteLife Forum

Help!

Grandpa

I live outside of Portland,,,, not much wind here. :w00t: Im just waiting for the next sunny weekend, then we're back out to cannon beach for more flying, and practicing stunts.

-constantly licking my index finger and raising it above my head;

~Spz0

Welcome to the world of kiting! We live and breath it! LOL!

If you are anywhere near West Delta Park on May 3rd and 4th check out the NWSKC event.

http://www.nwskc.net/

Also, John will be doing a Quad clinic at Seaside July 5th and 6th......

Have fun!

Theresa

Now dont be silly Grandpa, I will be flying, not swimming across the pond. Kites FLY well MOST of the time anyway. Only a few folks like JB can make them swim.

I met a guy in Seaside called the Wizard. He had long white hair and a long white beard. His clothes were made of kite sail ripstop in all the great colors. He rode the beach on a trike with kites tied to the handle bars and blew huge bubbles for the kids. We saw him there for years and then he was gone. A few years ago we went to Pinky's Kite Factory in Cannon Beach and I asked the old guy if he knew what happened to the Wizard. He told me the Wizard was gone. I asked what happened, wishing he went while doing what he loved, entertaining all on the beach. The old man stepped out from behind the counter... he was wearing kite sail shorts over his jeans... and said his wife made him get a job :sly: We drank coffee and listened to his stories. My favorite was about his traveling north up the coast of Oregon. He would take a snow saucer and a kite and ride the shuttle bus south to the end of the line. He took his stuff to the beach, setup his kite and got on his saucer and "fly" back to Cannon Beach... he got home before the bus got back :w00t:

If you don't have snow saucers in the UK, I can send you one :lol:

I guess there's no difference between wind currents and water currents when you're a master!

Hah!! I met Wizard as well.

Hello all, first time kite flyer, and addict from the first time I raised my kite. :) Also new to the forums. Greetings. :D

I went to Cannon Beach last weekend. We wanted to go fly my Fiances Kite (a nice single line butterfly kite), and my neighbor loaned me his little trick kite, but it had no strings.

So after we unpacked at our camping site, we drove up the road, wanting to stop in at the first kite shop we find. We stumbled across Pinky's Kite shop, and lo and behold ---- The Wizard. This guy was probably the coolest cat I've met since I moved to the PNW. He gave me a couple of lines for this trick kite - asked me if I knew how to fly one. I of course said no, and he just went into it! Gave me a crash course in about 3 minutes. lol By the time we were done, my head was spinning with info, and we were on our way to the beach. I strung my kite up, and raised her, and then I was hooked. I can't remember the type of kite I was flying, but the spine was frayed at the nose, and patched with a zip-tie. It was a little difficult to fly, and a little noisy, probly cuz of the slack that zip tie created along the leading edges. Not to mention the wind was pretty low on that day.

So, we flew for about an hour, and packed it all in. I immediately wanted my own kite, knowing how much fun a half broken kite was, and wondering what a brand new one would be like, so the next day we went back to pinky's, and he took one look at me, saw the addict in my face, laughed, and immediately showed me some kites.

So I ended up buying a Cherry Bomb Kite, by Dodd Gross. He said it was probably the best value (coming with a fig. 8 winder, and hand straps) and controllability for getting into trick kiting.

We shot the conversation for a bit, he gave me a tonne of websites to check out for tutorials on stunts, Thanked him, and we were back to the beach.

It was cloudy, kind of spitting rain on and off, but the wind was just right. About 20Mph. I set the kite up, and raised her. Hoo boy. Magic. :D .... We flew for about 3 hours straight, and I didnt want to pack it up, but the rain was telling us that the day was at an end.

Wizard? If you're out there, thanks a million for all the info, and the kite. Lovin it.

And if anyone else on the west coast is up around Cannon beach / Seaside, you HAVE to go see Wizard. Coolest cat! B) Hes also got this octagonal kite in his shop he made that he says lifted a 300Lb man off the ground.

I live outside of Portland,,,, not much wind here. :( Im just waiting for the next sunny weekend, then we're back out to cannon beach for more flying, and practicing stunts.

-constantly licking my index finger and raising it above my head;

~Spz0

Gotta love the Wizard!!... and his stories!!

I will be driving to Portland on 4/23... I have a meeting the afternoon of 4/24... and I'm free all day the 25th, Grandma flies in the night of the 25th.

I'd love to fly Thursday morning or Friday...

We will be driving down the coast Saturday and staying at Otter Rock until May 8th. I'm going to try and talk Grandma into go back to Portland for NWSKL.

PM for my cell number.