KiteLife Forum

SOKF Brookings, Or, 21-22nd July

LeighB

WHo else is going to Brookings this year? this'll only be my 2nd festival and the first one where i'm actually driving out of state to....

also does anyone know of any cheap motels around where the place of flying is? or if anyone is willing to share a room or anything?

Try the Wild Rivers Motor Lodge. 541-469-5351. They are right on Chetco ave in Brookings. about 5 minutes from the festival. They are probably one of the most resonable. Also The Harbor Inn 541-469-3194. They are right up the hill from the festival. Don't know much about them, I have never stayed in either.

Steve :kid_devlish:

They have a lot of great places to stay at Lincoln City. I'm not sure where we're staying for that matter. You might contact the chamber of commerce and ask for their list. they might have prices.

Look forward to seeing you there.

BB Penny

woah, Lincoln City is quite a way away north Though, i'm looking for something pretty much in Brookings being as this is my first 'road trip' so to speak.

you going too Penny then?

Try the Wild Rivers Motor Lodge. 541-469-5351. They are right on Chetco ave in Brookings. about 5 minutes from the festival. They are probably one of the most resonable. Also The Harbor Inn 541-469-3194. They are right up the hill from the festival. Don't know much about them, I have never stayed in either.

Steve :revonhead:

hey thanks for the numbers Steve!

Oops, sorry! I was thinking of the next event with a long drive- Lincoln City.

Your only 5 hours away from Brookings? Boy, are you lucky. Our drive to Brookings is 10 hours. It's a gruelling all nighter.

Yes, Steve and I will be there. Brookings is awesome.

Sometimes all the fliers have different hotels and sometimes we all stay in the same one. Lots of fun! Maybe "to much fun"... hmmm hope they will be there. Team To Much Fun.... :mf_party:

Brookings is great except for the small field. Not much place for fun flying and practice there, but perfect for the kite show. Love the crowd ~ wonder who will be in my kite skit. :ani_smoke:

Hello Steve~ We'll see you there. :revonhead:

BB Penny

Oops, sorry! I was thinking of the next event with a long drive- Lincoln City.

Your only 5 hours away from Brookings? Boy, are you lucky. Our drive to Brookings is 10 hours. It's a gruelling all nighter.

Yes, Steve and I will be there. Brookings is awesome.

Sometimes all the fliers have different hotels and sometimes we all stay in the same one. Lots of fun! Maybe "to much fun"... hmmm hope they will be there. Team To Much Fun.... B)

Brookings is great except for the small field. Not much place for fun flying and practice there, but perfect for the kite show. Love the crowd ~ wonder who will be in my kite skit. :mf_party:

Hello Steve~ We'll see you there. :ani_smoke:

BB Penny

for me it'll be around 7 hours to Brookings - i'm In San Mateo in California, however, i'll be leaving hopefully before 8am on Friday so I have pretty much all day friday to get there.

I hope there will be some rev people wanting to partake in night flying :revonhead: I've just modded my rev with LEDs for night flying :mf_party: by the time i'm finished hoepfully i'll have around 20 - 30 LEDs on it!

Hi Penny. Looking foward to seeing you guys. I think Trish and I are going to set up at the far end of the field this year, near where you and Al set up. It's going to be a more conveint area to park our trailer across the parking lot. Things are coming together well and the field looks real good. Lets hope for good consistent breezes.

Hi Penny. Looking foward to seeing you guys. I think Trish and I are going to set up at the far end of the field this year, near where you and Al set up. It's going to be a more conveint area to park our trailer across the parking lot. Things are coming together well and the field looks real good. Lets hope for good consistent breezes.

Steve: you can just pull your car right onto the field??

Not a chance! It may be the smallest field ever used for a Kite Festival. It does work out real good for the spectators. They are up close to everything. Get there early if you want a good parking spot.

5, possibly 6 iQuad members are scheduled to attend this year's Brookings event. :revonhead:

Hrm, will be fun to squeeze all the kites into that field... Short lines a'coming!

how short is short? I have lines which are i think between 40 - 50 feet but I have no idea of the actual measurement, also I have my 120 foot lines which are NOT short :ani_smoke:

Not a chance! It may be the smallest field ever used for a Kite Festival. It does work out real good for the spectators. They are up close to everything. Get there early if you want a good parking spot.

is 8am early enough?

We're going to be on 120' of 90# or 100' of 50#, depending on the wind.

Space really is at a premium, so a mega fly may or may not be possible... Remains to be seen.

Wind direction will count for something too, since the field is long and narrow.

For general flying (which there isn't a lot of), ideal line length is 90-100 feet.

Or 10 -50 ft. for no wind to light wind. It's a great crowd.

Leigh, my first trip to this festival was frustrating. There is no where close by to just put up and fly. But the kiters put on a great show.

Who will be there? Brookings...

Ron Despo and Sue Shampo, Allen Cunningham should be coming up.

Sundowners are usually there. Love it! Kitemakers such as Ellen P., Deb L. , Ron and Sandy G. Mirium, The Crescent City Wind Chasers? Not sure I have the correct club name. Gary and Nancie McEcheran, (sp) Bazzer, Cindy and Rod Thrall.

Lam might be there this year. Ok, now I['m getting excited.. and it's not till next month! There's more.. and non fliers..

Alexis will be there.. be sure and visit The Marketplace for kites and pirate items. She's been a staunch supporter of the event.

Returning audience members who have sworn to blow for us if needed. Wind is optional at this event. (Don't tell them they are the best crowd or they will get swollen heads) :sign_kitelife:

BB Penny ~dreaming of laying on the grass with the Sundowners flying overhead.

yep... we'll be there again as well. :)

:) It's important to mention for the newcomers ...that this is a show... tightly scheduled with invited flyers... there is bsically no free flying area near the demo field -other than at the end of the day, when it's a free-for-all!

I encourage everyone that can attend to do so... Like Penny mentioned -for her, our first trip was also frustrating... We drove a long way and we expected to be able to fly and demo... not the case.

It is a great show!!! ;)

yep... we'll be there again as well. :)

:) It's important to mention for the newcomers ...that this is a show... tightly scheduled with invited flyers... there is bsically no free flying area near the demo field -other than at the end of the day, when it's a free-for-all!

I encourage everyone that can attend to do so... Like Penny mentioned -for her, our first trip was also frustrating... We drove a long way and we expected to be able to fly and demo... not the case.

It is a great show!!! ;)

I miss you two. See you soon. :D BB Penny

• 1 month later...

Brookings was AWESOME!! Did you make it Leigh? I don't remember getting to meet you.

Where else can kiteflyers go and get treated like rock stars? Ok, we know of a few places. Still~ You can't take anything away from Brookings, it was beautiful weather, fun loving crowd, and hard working volunteers.

I'm not sure why exactly, but Steven and I left feeling the weekend was a complete success. Was it the good company? The beautiful scenery on the drive down? The great food provided by the sponsors? The weather? We even had a little Rev. grouping w/IQuad and friends. Not sure.. it feels like it's so much more then just that. We enjoyed it all!

BB Penny

PS The sad part was missing the flyers that were unable to make it. See you soon!

Brookings was a complete success!!! Everything about it was great, even the rain on saturday; offset by the best wind we have seen in years! It was great seeing everyone who could make it and I sure hope everyone will be here next year. Penny, thanks for all the hard work with the kids! My grandkids had a blast. I have never seen that many kids involved before. It was great!

Looks like I'm a go for WISKIF. Even have an RV space at Wildwood RV Park. Looking foward to it.

Steve :)

• 2 weeks later...
Brookings was AWESOME!! Did you make it Leigh? I don't remember getting to meet you.

hey there Penny, Sadly I was not at Brookings ;) due to financial situations I ended up having to not go which really sucked!

however, i'm glad you guys that made it had a blast!

• 2 months later...