KiteLife Forum

Kite building book opinions and sale?

FlyinKen

I am interested in buying someones used kite building book, if you live in the Portland, Oregon metro area. I would rather pay someone cash localy, rather then order online. I am still waiting for the kite I ordered 2 weeks ago. Thanks. **FlyinKen** ;)

Just cause you had one bad experience on the internet don't take it out on the rest. There is a world of great people to order from.... but yeah, get it local first if you can ;)

The latest kite ordering issue is the only bad experience I have had while ordering online.

I was just wondering if someone local wanted to sell a book that was collecting dust.

None of my local bookstores have it in stock. (checked online) :innocent:

**FlyinKen**

Dan beat me to the key question.

I have a little bit of a library, and I've managed to end up with a couple of duplicates.

If I have the one you're thinking of, I could at least give you a mini-review.

Dan beat me to the key question.

I have a little bit of a library, and I've managed to end up with a couple of duplicates.

If I have the one you're thinking of, I could at least give you a mini-review.

Not quite sure about which books I am interested in, that where your opinions would be appreciated.

According to some reviews in amazon, the latest by Pellham has too much history, and it also has some missing illustrations.

And like MrDenny's suggestion, I will be heading to the biggest library in my area this weekend coming up.

Thanks all.

**FlyinKen** ;)

Here are some titles that I've been looking at on Amazon:

Kites - David Pelham

Making & Flying Stunt Kites - Wolfgang Schimmelpfennig

The Kite Making Handbook - Rossella Guerra and Giuseppe Ferlegna

Of those, I was able to get "Making and Flying Stunt Kites" at my local library. Not too bad, though a bit out of date as far as connectors I've actually seen on modern stunt kites. Would like to have seen a section that references specific techniques for joining panels, finishing trailing edges and leading edges, and such in one place rather than spread out over all the kite plans. All of the kite designs are definitely older and don't really relate to anything I've seen today, though they are cool looking and might be fun to try.

Would love to hear about some of the others.

~Dan

I'm sorry to say that I've never seen a kite making book that was up to date.

Things have changed quite a bit materials wise. One of the most important is that ripstop itself has changed. The coatings have improved greatly, so current fabrics can be cold-cut without fraying. That opened the door for curved, lapped, and taped seems.

I'll second recommending a visit to Kitebuilder.com.

Read the tech sheets and use the search function to find specific things in the forum, or just settle in and start reading the threads. They're also working on a Wiki to tie a lot of the information together in a more usable way.

Ken,

Have you ever been to the World Kite Museum in Long Beach?

They have quite a selection of books for sale in the gift shop.

It's well worth the trip if you have not visited there yet.

Another suggestion....stop by The Kite Shoppe sometime and just spend some time watching Lam sew.

Theresa

Ken,

Have you ever been to the World Kite Museum in Long Beach?

They have quite a selection of books for sale in the gift shop.

It's well worth the trip if you have not visited there yet.

Another suggestion....stop by The Kite Shoppe sometime and just spend some time watching Lam sew.

Theresa

Thanks everyone for the great input.

This coming Thursday, I will be stopping by my local library.

As far as the kite Museum, I was planning on stopping by this August during the Kite Fest.

If they have some books, I might see if I can make an earlier day trip.

And watching Lam sew up some of his kites would be interesting. I would like to do that in the next few weeks.

Thanks again, **FlyinKen**