KiteLife Forum

First Revolution - Which to get?

Toyguy

First choice a B series, bit more expensive but SO MUCH kite.

Second choice, cheaper, easy to learn on, EXP.

BEST choice, get BOTH the B series, standard and vented. You will never NEED to buy another Rev, of course you will WANT to buy others, just cuz they are SOOO adictive.

BEST CHOICE OF ALL, get at least 3 of each of them from EXP through the speed sreies and all the Masterpiec'es. Then you can REALLY push the boat out with some FINE stacks, progressive stacks etc, and be THE ENVY of ALL.

Hope this helps.

Hello Toy guy.

An EXP is a less expensive Rev. Good to beat up, not quite as much of a fly "wind window". To much wind will make you keep it down. A 1.5 SLE has a harder leading edge and needs a little more wind.. so to little of wind can make you keep it down... but the 1.5 Rev. Standard could be just right. It does have a larger window then the EXP.

A 1.5 is considered the size to start with. You just have to decide how much money you wish to spend, what is your typical wind like and how much of a challenge are you up for?

Avoid the shockwave, superblast, sonic as beginner kites. You can save those for later. :) Enjoy!!

BB

Penny

Not sure I am with you on this one Ant. I know the SLE can take a beating. However it can be frustrating for a beginner.

Needs higher wind to make it fly, the sort of "overflys" with its stiffer leading edge. I would still go for the 1/4" leading edge. Dont disagree on the 1.5 though.

Dont forget the SLE is actually pretty much a 1.5 only about an inch in it.

Afraid I would still suggest the EXP or a B series as an EXELLENT start someone who is going to stay with it as opposed to just wanting to try it then leave it in a box.

I think the all round BEST advice is find some Rev fliers in your area and go try some out. If you ask we WILL let you fly ours, that is just the sort of FAMILY we are.

At the end of the day there has to be an element of personal choice in here. Different Rev set ups meet various wind conditions. That is why we ALLMOST ALL have multiple Rev's.

I would suggest Getting The 1.5 SLE and an EXP. Then Swap the leading edges of the two kites, and fly with the 1.5.

The SLE is VERY stiff and makes the kite harder to control. If you use the EXP LE, the 1.5 will have more flex, but will still be strong.

hints: SLE = Super Leading Edge

LE = Leading Edge

Rev = FUN

A lot of shops will also SWAP the EXP leading edge (3 wrap) in place of the thicker spar upon request.

I highly recommend this, as the SLE spar makes the kite less controllable.

Though if you are going to the trouble of a SLE, I would suggest buying the smaller leading edge and putting it in. That way you have a leading edgoe for the light wind and one for heavier wind.

BB Penny

Thanks for all the input :-)

Now a few more, and hopefully the last, pre-purchase questions.

Why is an EXP so much less money than an SLE? They don't look or sound much different outside the stiffer LE.

Two kites are out of the budget range, so I'll have to settle on one. At the moment I am leaning toward the EXP but.... (Isn't there always a but? :sign_kitelife: )

I could also consider an SLE with an add-on of a 3-wrap LE. Does that sort of arrangement sound reasonable? Would I be better off with the 4-wrap LE? Are the LEs easy to change? How many pieces make up the LE, 2 or 3?

Thanks!

Dave

That sounds VERY reasonable. The 3 Wraps are fairly strong. The 4 wrap I would suggest only idf you had fairly strong wind. The LE is made up of 3 pieces. They are extremely easy to change out. f you en up getting the 1.5, it should come with a starters DVD that will show you how to change out the LE..... think. Unlike a duel line, where the LE has a bunch of caps and such attached to it, the Rev's LE has nothing like that. You can change them without worring about the bridal or end caps.

Yep. Thinking about it I would go for a SLE with a 3 wrap (EXP type) leading edge if you can afford the price. If you keep the SLE edge it will make a good Tomato stick.

Even better see if Theresa at Thekiteshoppe has a B left, she has a 40% sale on stock at the moment. Got to be quick though, ends on the 5th I think.

Yep. Thinking about it I would go for a SLE with a 3 wrap (EXP type) leading edge if you can afford the price. If you keep the SLE edge it will make a good Tomato stick.

Even better see if Theresa at Thekiteshoppe has a B left, she has a 40% sale on stock at the moment. Got to be quick though, ends on the 5th I think.

They are alllllllll gone..........!!!!!!

If you buy an SLE, then make sure you automatically order a 3 Wrap leading edge to go with it. The SLE takes great abuse but is hard to learn on. If I knew some shops would have swopped that out for me to begin with, I would have done that.

I started with an SLE. Once I got a 3-wrap leading edge (EXP leading edge), I never used the SLE. In fact, I haven't used it in a year now. Next I got a 2-wrap frame, then a custom vented sail, then a 4-wrap frame, then a custom SUL, and I now have new "Race" frame on the way. Since getting the SUL, I haven't used the SLE sail.

Be careful. Getting a Rev puts you on a slippery slope!

Anybody want to buy my original 1.5 SLE (red/black/white) in good condition, kite only? PM me.

--Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I think that sale is over now. And if it isn't she ran out if B's any way.

Thanks for all the advice - I will go the "SLE with add-on 3-wrap LE" route. The sale at the Kite Shoppe is indeed over, but Theresa was out of Rev SLEs and B-series anyway. I did grab a Prism Quantum Pro at the 40% off price though :sign_kitelife: Couldn't beat that deal.

Now the only question is when to buy? I would have said this month, but there's also a Prism Zephyr calling my name now! Decisions, decisions...

Dave

Unless I am really misreading things, it looks like the 1.5 SLE package can be had for around $200-210 most places. A 3-wrap LE looks to be around $35 or so. So I'd figure $250.

Looking at the B series, it looks like they run around $280-290, and that's without lines and such. So I'd figure somewhere around $340-350. Granted, it probably IS a better deal but going the SLE route keeps the initial cost down, in case I don't like it. Besides, I would be nowhere near the skill to begin exploring the B-series limits - it would be money wasted in that sense. Who knows, maybe I'll have to have a B-series later :-)

Dave