KiteLife Forum

FREESTYLE SINGLE LINE TRICK KITE

Stephen Hoath

New Video files

My co conspiritors in Spain have managed to get a little footage. It is taken on the roof top of their apartment block in Gandia (nr Valencia)

Again there is litte or no wind but I think the video clearly shows a different style of flight to me. It seems that each pilot creates their own mark.

I hope you enjoy them.

I'm really enjoying my Bai a lot Stephen and looking forward to some trick tutorials to enjoy it even more !!!

Cheers and many thanks for all your support!

Mario

I'm really enjoying my Bai a lot Stephen and looking forward to some trick tutorials to enjoy it even more !!!

Cheers and many thanks for all your support!

Mario

Hi Mario, great to hear you are enjoying the kite.

A couple of ideas for you to try, fly the kite directly down wind from you and try and catch the flying line in between the tails, then give a firm tug on the line and the kite will reverse at you at speed. You can then catch it and throw it out again. Another move is to get the kite into a fade (briefly). Again fly the kite down wind and execute an axle, when the line is slack and the kite facing away from you execute a progressive pull on the line. The kite should rotate along the spine until it is upside down with the tail away from you. In a good wind you can hold this position for as long as half a second !!! :clap;

Let me know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for my terrible english.

Very nice kite. Sabine have made a very good job

You are of course referring to the fantastic artwork on this kite. The beautiful butterfly graphic is an original hand drawing by Sabine Chancel (Fr) who also happens to be one of the best Rev Team pilots I know.

Sabine is credited with the artwork on the flight manual but I would like to say publicly THANK YOU, I love the graphic so much. It finishes the kite and this would not have been possible without her hard work. Sabine created image after image for me until I finally made up my mind on what I wanted.

So many thanks to a talented and patient artist!

:):wub::wub:

Hi Stephen. I am enjoying my Bai also. I am still at the stage where I am swinging it round my head and have a sore shoulder. Getting the hang of what it is doing more though.

Mat, the guy I bought the Red one for is also having fun with his.

Thanks. Chris.

It's too bad our (USA) dollar is so weak right now. $80 seems a bit high for 2 triangles sewn together. While I'm sure they are very well built and a lot of fun to fly, I could probably build one for myself with less than $20 in material and in less than an hour worth of time. :blink: Looks like fun though.

It's too bad our (USA) dollar is so weak right now. $80 seems a bit high for 2 triangles sewn together. While I'm sure they are very well built and a lot of fun to fly, I could probably build one for myself with less than $20 in material and in less than an hour worth of time. :blink: Looks like fun though.

Yes you could build one in about an hour (of course I would prefer you not too :busted2: but with anything new (soft kites, sport kites, new tricks) the time outlay is in the idea, prototype development and production. It has taken me just under 2 years to get this thing nailed down and so you can see why I get a little sulky with comments like above even when they are well intentioned as I believe this one to be. However, this is a whole other area of conversation that is better off in another thread as it involves so many people and views.

As for the kite, I have a better challenge for you. As kite manufacture is something you enjoy, try and push kites on by making some thing new. After all, where would be if everyone simply copied the North Shore Radical rather than pushing it to the next level. Without Don Tabor and TOTL where would we be with dual line kites?

You never know, if you come up with something good I might buy one :)

Yes you could build one in about an hour (of course I would prefer you not too :busted2: but with anything new (soft kites, sport kites, new tricks) the time outlay is in the idea, prototype development and production. It has taken me just under 2 years to get this thing nailed down and so you can see why I get a little sulky with comments like above even when they are well intentioned as I believe this one to be. However, this is a whole other area of conversation that is better off in another thread as it involves so many people and views.

As for the kite, I have a better challenge for you. As kite manufacture is something you enjoy, try and push kites on by making some thing new. After all, where would be if everyone simply copied the North Shore Radical rather than pushing it to the next level. Without Don Tabor and TOTL where would we be with dual line kites?

You never know, if you come up with something good I might buy one :)

I wasn't planning on copying, I was just noting how weak our dollar was when compared to the effort. I totally understand the R & D that goes into perfecting a design or even modifying an existing for your own character. I'll be on the list to purchase one as soon as our $ strengthens no doubt about it.

Anyhow, the orange, white, and green kite in the bottom corner is something I came up with after scaling from a plan on the large kite, adjusting build techniques to work with the small seams and modifying the panel setups. ;-)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/39671974_e8f12a6e35_o.jpg

Back on topic, are more available?

Hi everybody, [...]

Hello,

We met Pedro at the kite festival in Margate, UK last weekend and he showed us Stephen's new kite in a different colour:

http://www.ukkitemap.org.uk/pics/stephenskite01.jpg

Personally now I have seen it with my own eyes, it *is* worth the money - so beautifully crafted.

My preferred choice is the white with blue graphic.

Oriental calligraphy is more of a passing interest for me (owning some chinese brushes and inks myself).

I collect oriental art including calligraphy pieces, so your kite is a must.

We've told Pedro we wish to purchase one, so we shall be in touch Stephen.

Christmas came early again :)

Choccy (funsized)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that the Bai may have picked up its first competition awards...

At the AKA Grand Nationals, the Hot Tricks portion was moved indoors due to truly awful weather. At the very last second, I decided to set mine up as a "plan b" should my indoor rev get all knotted up and sure enough, first round, it did. And thus, the Bai helped to get me my sole AKA trophy this year, second in hot tricks. :blue-music:

Would have liked to see the Bai in competition, has anyone got a vidio of it please??????????????

Well done Monkey by the way.

I bought 2 Bai's off Stephen at the Portsmouth show, one for me and one for a friend.

We are still both at the "swing it round your head as fast as you can" stage. Would be SO cool if I could drop Mat a shot of what it can do in better hands.

I'm happy to report that the Bai may have picked up its first competition awards...

At the AKA Grand Nationals, the Hot Tricks portion was moved indoors due to truly awful weather. At the very last second, I decided to set mine up as a "plan b" should my indoor rev get all knotted up and sure enough, first round, it did. And thus, the Bai helped to get me my sole AKA trophy this year, second in hot tricks. :blue-music:

Dave, you have my thanks. Next time you're in Europe I'll buy you a drink! :kid_smartass:

I was just noting how weak our dollar was when compared to the effort. I totally understand the R & D that goes into perfecting a design or even modifying an existing for your own character.

I have just re-read my original reply and I may have been a little touchy about the whole issue. :blue-music: So, many thanks for your interest and I hope we can get the stuff to the US at a better price soon.

As a matter of interest, what is the price range for sport kites in the US right now?

Mario flew the Bai beautifully at the Whidbey Island Indoor. He did a routine to music from Mask of Zorro and IMHO it was a masterpiece. He flew using a carbon tube with the line thru it. Most of the routine with fairly short line and it matched the music nicely.

My wife just got one specially made for the Lady Kite Flyers. I am trying to convince her to fly it indoors to music. I think there is a lot potential to this kite for choreography.

Monks what is your strategy to go from second to first in that Hot Tricks. Do you really thing you can do cometes with a REV?

• 3 months later...