KiteLife Forum

The Butterfly blues

I am new to single lines in a sense. I never needed them in my own kite bag when all I had to do is visit friends and enjoy their kites.

Things have changed. I love a kite I can put in people's hands and this year it's my Butterfly kites from Gomberg Kites and thier retailers.

I just ordered a few more...just can't get enough of those butterflies! My problem is storage and traveling. Most of you must have single line kites you carry. What is the best way to carry them for traveling? A kite bag, pvc pipe? take off the line and sticks... yuk.. extra work but maybe it's necessary. any advice would be helpful..

Penny~ a Linus when it comes to gear.

post-61-1186602763_thumb.jpg

lol Well, I'll have under 20 of them. PVC pipe that is long enough for the spars and still fits in my bags. I'll go looking. No doubt I'll actually have to tear the lines and sticks off to pack.. Yuk. that's work.. oh well. it's better then rain. ;) BB Penny~trying to avoid knots.

I love a kite I can put in people's hands and this year it's my Butterfly kites from Gomberg Kites and thier retailers.

I just ordered a few more...just can't get enough of those butterflies! My problem is storage and traveling.

Penny~ a Linus when it comes to gear.

It does explain your fondness of the Bai.

My current object of SLK whimsy is a 3D dragon kite with a 26" wingspan.

We should get you some mini-Butterfly kites (4" wingspan) for when you are trying to travel liight ;)

Footnote:

I say this as a charter member of the Honorable Order of the Kitchen Sink & Aching Back (now there's a coat of arms for you).

Sam

gallery_1719_68_97713.jpggallery_1719_68_29795.jpg

gallery_1719_68_102382.jpggallery_1719_68_14810.jpg

How beautiful! Tell me more. BB Penny
  • Inexpensive. (@ $3.99 per)
  • 4-inch wingspan
  • All mylar sail so I expect the color vibrancy to be accurate.
  • If I had to guess, micro-carbon frame.
  • Hard time finding retailers, but they are available directly at:
    http://www.xkitesshop.com/mini_microlite.html
    Descriptions on that page are wrong, but detail pages are correct.
  • Flyability=unknown, but at worst that means they make for a pretty desk ornament :kid_cussing:

Let me know if I have left anything out.

Sam

Sam, have you seen them fly off of a stick?

I've got the black octopus kite pin, "size does matter"

4" does sound small. Though the idea of traveling with them sounds inviting.

I am looking for red/wh/blue for next year.. Not butterfly's but something.. it has to fly off of stick so it can be used wind and no wind. Tough, for the kids to drag along or loop de loop into the ground -before you remind them to have the wind on their back.

Sam, have you seen them fly off of a stick?

I've got the black octopus kite pin, "size does matter"

4" does sound small. Though the idea of traveling with them sounds inviting.

I am looking for red/wh/blue for next year.. Not butterfly's but something.. it has to fly off of stick so it can be used wind and no wind. Tough, for the kids to drag along or loop de loop into the ground -before you remind them to have the wind on their back.

Have not seen them flying....

But now you have lost me. Are you looking for kites for a particular event? Kids? Red, white & blue?

How many kites are you looking for? What kind of price?

Have you considered Parafoils? Both Premier & GFAK make patriotic ones... not sure about size or how they would fly on a stick. However, if they get dragged, you don't have to worry about broken spars, and they probably meet you pack down small requirements.

Details?

Sam