KiteLife Forum

outdoor kite throwing techniques

outsync

Hey peeps,

When I was out on the beach yesterday, I had my daughter flying my rev 1 SLE on 55 foot lines a bit, just to let her get a feel for it, when she asked if I could do that throwing thing we watched on a vid a few days ago. The vid she referred to was from an indoor festival I believe. Not sure if I would be able to do it I gave it a go and wow … javelin style throw, kite pops nice in to shape, imagine my surprise. I went on and tried a bit more, had to clear out the mess I made in my lines only once 

I was not aware this could be done outdoor to, are there any other throw, catch techniques usable outdoor? If so any pointers to some more info?

Good morning.

What length lines were you using? You can catch on 100 ft. of lines. If there is wind you must run fast. You can throw on 100 ft. of line. Again.. you better move fast.

There are all sorts of tricks to find outside. Try this one just for a kick.. when you make it look good let me know.

Kite facing 12:00 at the top of the window. Close your eyes, put your head between down so you can't see and set the bottom of the handles on the ground and wait. When done right it should land facing 12:00.

Again, the line length is going to determine the tricks that you can do, create, and share.

BB

Penny

If you throw it right and the wind is cooperative, 100ft is not a problem.

My technique is: (right-handed version, because I am right-handed)

- hold both handles in the left hand.

- check the ground to insure the lines are free, primarily of your feet.

- check that the lines from the bridle flow freely to the ground, not wrapped on tips or something.

- hold the leading edge in your left hand at about the center, facing left, over the handles.

- point the REV in the direction the wind is blowing.

- place your right hand on the right outer wind tip. This is your throwing hand.

- bring your right arm back like you would throw a javelin.

- the angle up from the ground you will have to determine for yourself. It will be anywhere 10 to 40 degrees.

- throw it into the wind.

For training, I would suggest practicing the toss "without" lines until you have the toss right. It is much easier then constantly sorting out the lines.

For the catch, I prefer to use long throw handles. I just yank them back at the right time. Other techniques are pulling on the top two lines. This works best on standard handles. The idea is to fly the REV straight up to a point where it feels like it is almost floating. It won't go to this point every time, just some of the time. When you get it to this point, just yank it out of the sky using the upper lines.

When it is coming down to your hand, be prepared to jump over it in case you are too late getting to it. When you grasp it, grasp it gently in order to prevent any damage to the leading edge or sail.

- check that the lines from the bridle flow freely to the ground, not wrapped on tips or something.

- hold the leading edge in your left hand at about the center, facing left, over the handles.

- place your right hand on the right outer wind tip. This is your throwing hand.

- the angle up from the ground you will have to determine for yourself. It will be anywhere 10 to 40 degrees.

For training, I would suggest practicing the toss "without" lines until you have the toss right. It is much easier then constantly sorting out the lines.

For the catch, I prefer to use long throw handles. I just yank them back at the right time. Other techniques are pulling on the top two lines. This works best on standard handles. The idea is to fly the REV straight up to a point where it feels like it is almost floating. It won't go to this point every time, just some of the time. When you get it to this point, just yank it out of the sky using the upper lines.

When it is coming down to your hand, be prepared to jump over it in case you are too late getting to it. When you grasp it, grasp it gently in order to prevent any damage to the leading edge or sail.

thanks for the clear guidelines.

Could you explain a bit more on the "throw handles" I'm using the handles that came with my 1.5 B serie not sure what kind they are.

I think in this case the statement about "throwing" a kite and long "throw" handles might be a bit confusing.

The "throw" of the handles is nothing to do with throwing the kite.

Long throw handles would probably describe handles that are longer than the "standard" Rev handles. By standard there are a number of lengths from about 8" to 13" (I think)

Some folks like to make longer handle sets up as they prefer the type of control they get. I must admit that I find the 13" handles fine, but then I have not tried longer ones.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the clear guidelines.

Could you explain a bit more on the "throw handles" I'm using the handles that came with my 1.5 B serie not sure what kind they are.

Long throw handles I refer to being about 15".

Using 15" handles with normal connections on the pig tails, if you have them, are usually sufficient to yank the rev out of the sky with out having to pull the upper lines with you fingers. For shorter handles to do the same you will have to shorten the upper lines by moving the upper line connections towards you on the handles. This would of course hinder reverse.

This is all relative to my normal connections on the upper lines.